Mutts

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
A $1000 fine for going double the speed limit is absolutely letting him off easy. 89mph on any road is a Super Speeder in Georgia and is completely unecessary on the highway, much less a 45mph road. It's extremely reckless. 89 is likely not the top speed he was hitting on that road either, just what he got "caught" doing. I've seen that Gantt also paid the ticket, so basically no punishment other than a stern talking to from the police officer.

If you are going tell us you got caught doing 45mph over the speed limit and the cops just wrote you a speeding ticket and said you are good to go, well I just don't think I believe that.
He was cited as a Super Speeder.

Gannt paying his ticket is not the fault of the police department. It is the fault of the UGAAA and subsequently the NCAA for looking the other way.

I'm sure many of us have been given a break by traffic cops. A warning, instead of a ticket. It's not that uncommon.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
These following things that you typed are proving my point:

bobongo: And he was the third one that day cited by the same cop.
me: Do you think those 3 times are the only times they have raced or super-sped?

bobongo: What concerns me far more than Carter being given a speeding ticket than being cited for reckless driving is the fact that his fine was paid by a UGA official. That would be yet one more thing for the NCAA to look into, if they were interested. But nothing will happen - nothing at all.
me: you don't think that contributes to lack of institutional control

Also, on a related note, Do you think that was the first time a AA employee raced an AA car? Do you think that was the first time a AA employee drove a car drunk? Do you think that was the first time they were at the strip club? All of these things contribute to lack of institutional control.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Come on @bobongo , they don't give warnings for going double the speed limit. Stahhp. You're being dismissive to try to prove your point.
I didn't say any such thing. Carter wasn't given a warning; he was given a ticket. I simply pointed out that many of us have gotten breaks from traffic cops and that was one example, a warning instead of a ticket.
Carter's break was getting a speeding ticket in lieu of a citation for reckless driving.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I didn't say any such thing. Carter wasn't given a warning; he was given a ticket. I simply pointed out that many of us have gotten breaks from traffic cops and that was one example, a warning instead of a ticket.
Carter's break was getting a speeding ticket in lieu of a citation for reckless driving.

True. But what I think most of us are saying is he was clearly past the point where a warning was appropriate. I think that's more than fair to say.

Not sure where we're getting our signals crossed.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
bobongo: And he was the third one that day cited by the same cop.
me: Do you think those 3 times are the only times they have raced or super-sped?
I doubt it, but each was caught once by this cop and given a ticket once by this cop. That's the way it works. You can't get cited for something you may have done previously, if I understand the Constitution correctly. And you can't hold it against somebody because someone else of his stripe committed the same offense.

bobongo: What concerns me far more than Carter being given a speeding ticket than being cited for reckless driving is the fact that his fine was paid by a UGA official. That would be yet one more thing for the NCAA to look into, if they were interested. But nothing will happen - nothing at all.
me: you don't think that contributes to lack of institutional control

Also, on a related note, Do you think that was the first time a AA employee raced an AA car? Do you think that was the first time a AA employee drove a car drunk? Do you think that was the first time they were at the strip club? All of these things contribute to lack of institutional control.
I misinterpreted your post about institutional control as having something to do with the police department. It was my mistake. Yes, there is a lack of institutional control by UGA, no question about it.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
True. But what I think most of us are saying is he was clearly past the point where a warning was appropriate. I think that's more than fair to say.

Not sure where we're getting our signals crossed.
Yes, that's fair to say. One could make that point. But it isn't necessarily indicative of favoritism by police due to Carter's standing as a UGA player, because getting a break from a traffic cop isn't that uncommon. That's all I'm saying.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yes, that's fair to say. One could make that point. But it isn't necessarily indicative of favoritism by police due to Carter's standing as a UGA player, because getting a break from a traffic cop isn't that uncommon. That's all I'm saying.

Understood.

My only remaining objection is that getting a break from a traffic cop when you've doubled the speed limit, and have a history of poor driving, is decidedly not common.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Your break is you’re not going to jail. Because that would make all kinds of news, right?
I think this where the favoritism lies. The cop clearly implies that because he is a uga player, his going to jail would create a lot of questions and "news", which the cop allowed Carter to avoid by only writing him a ticket...one that Carter didn't even have to pay due to his standing as a uga player.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think this where the favoritism lies. The cop clearly implies that because he is a uga player, his going to jail would create a lot of questions and "news", which the cop allowed Carter to avoid by only writing him a ticket...one that Carter didn't even have to pay due to his standing as a uga player.
Or he may be just using that as a way to get him to stop speeding.
All I'm saying is I live in this town and I've never seen favoritism given to UGA athletes by the local police. These guys get run in left and right around here. The cops aren't looking the other way.
The ire needs to be directed toward Ugag, not the cops. Cops in this town are good cops by and large, and they have my respect.

And once again, who pays the ticket is not the province of the police who issued it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
There's no universe where a known reckless driver deserves a 'break' when they're caught recklessly driving.

The reason why is pretty well spelled out in this scenario.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I think he was referring to the second part of the quote: “Your break is you’re not going to jail. Because that would make all kinds of news, right?” the officer said.

Just saying that makes it appear the cop is extending unmerited grace. I have no issue with Carter only receiving a ticket, but that comment looks very bad, especially in the light of recent events.
I am curious what kind of liability the luxury car company in Ohio has. I assume Carter was not paying for or was the owner of that car. And I assume he was being paid as a representative of the company as part of his NIL deal. At the least that makes him a contractor to that company.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Understood.

My only remaining objection is that getting a break from a traffic cop when you've doubled the speed limit, and have a history of poor driving, is decidedly not common.
I imagine cops are generally less lenient on people driving 700hp vehicles as well. You don't have that vehicle by accident, you have it because you know it goes fast as hell and that's what you want to do.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
What concerns me far more than Carter being given a speeding ticket than being cited for reckless driving is the fact that his fine was paid by a UGA official.
As a die hard, gold-blooded Tech fan, I absolutely want to see UGA ruined. But as a regular human concerned about innocent lives being destroyed, the dangerous driving is a much bigger issue.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There's no universe where a known reckless driver deserves a 'break' when they're caught recklessly driving.

The reason why is pretty well spelled out in this scenario.
He had previously been cited for speeding (not reckless driving) once. Was the officer who pulled him over was even aware of that?
I don't know of anyone who said he "deserved" a break, just that it's not that uncommon and doesn't necessarily indicate favoritism.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
As a die hard, gold-blooded Tech fan, I absolutely want to see UGA ruined. But as a regular human concerned about innocent lives being destroyed, the dangerous driving is a much bigger issue.
I agree. And UGA paying his fine encourages dangerous driving by absolving him of his responsibilities. To that end, it does far more than simply giving him a ticket for speeding in lieu of reckless driving because it lets him off with no consequences at all.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He had previously been cited for speeding (not reckless driving) once. Was the officer who pulled him over was even aware of that?
I don't know of anyone who said he "deserved" a break, just that it's not that uncommon and doesn't necessarily indicate favoritism.

Again, again, again....

It is not common for known reckless drivers to be given a break.

Thats not even debatable.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Again, again, again....

It is not common for known reckless drivers to be given a break.

Thats not even debatable.
You're getting obtuse. Was he a "known reckless driver" by the cop who gave him a ticket? What is your evidence?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You're getting obtuse. Was he a "known reckless driver" by the cop who gave him a ticket? What is your evidence?

Trust me, one of us is being obtuse but it's not me.

I get that you want to spare the cops from any hint of wrongdoing but it's fairly clear they made errors here.