Mutts

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

( Sent from AJC News )
I know its behind a paywall, the app is free, but the driver who died had a long history of speeding. The player relations guy tried to get her last speeding ticket tossed, super speeder level, and the clerk denied, saying the girl didn't meet any qualifications for a reduction. Finally stated what we all knew, there was no protocol for the vehicles to be turned aside from "hey when your done turn them in. " Smart and the AD maintain everything is fine and no changes need to be made.

AJC investigation is going to get someone fired. Gantt and the AD are the most likely. I say the AD because the university knew they girl was a serial speeder and continued to allow her to drive. Gantt is just going to be a scapegoat.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

( Sent from AJC News )
I know its behind a paywall, the app is free, but the driver who died had a long history of speeding. The player relations guy tried to get her last speeding ticket tossed, super speeder level, and the clerk denied, saying the girl didn't meet any qualifications for a reduction. Finally stated what we all knew, there was no protocol for the vehicles to be turned aside from "hey when your done turn them in. " Smart and the AD maintain everything is fine and no changes need to be made.

AJC investigation is going to get someone fired. Gantt and the AD are the most likely. I say the AD because the university knew they girl was a serial speeder and continued to allow her to drive. Gantt is just going to be a scapegoat.

Interesting point in the article as well that Gannt paid in cash to take care of the issues for the athletes. Agree it is likely Gannt gets scapegoated for this before it is all over.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

( Sent from AJC News )

“Liking” this is such an odd thing. The reporting just reinforces for me the worst nightmare of every parent, that your child will be in the hands of an institution that acts irresponsibly and dangerously.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
I know they can’t say this, but I can almost guarantee you that Carter had called Gantt when he was on the phone saying “I feel like they are trying to get information out of me. I need you to get here quick.”

This is disgusting all around. I can’t believe nobody within the university is publicly admitting that their policies need at least a review. What an environment Kirby has maintained. Richt didn’t even let it get this bad…

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
AJC reporting that the father of the deceased player is suing the university for 2 million, and could separately sue the AA, and the estate of the driver who was killed. Last thing they want is for this to go to trial.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

"Dave Willock's attorneys allege that UGA officials were aware of LeCroy's driving history, which includes four speeding tickets over the past six years.

"To be clear, UGA and [University of Georgia Athletic Association] agents and employees negligently entrusted a vehicle to LeCroy," the attorneys wrote in the legal notice. "Likewise, UGA and UGAAA agents and employees negligently hired, supervised, trained, and retained LeCroy.""

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

"In doing so, the lawyers make two potentially explosive allegations. First, they claim prospective recruits were at an Athens strip club with Devin Willock, LeCroy and other players and football staff members the night of the crash — a potential violation of NCAA rules. And, second, they say LeCroy was served alcohol at UGA Athletic Association events while she was assigned to ferry recruits and their families around Athens in a luxury SUV rented by the university."

"The university gave LeCroy possession of the Expedition despite her driving history, which includes four speeding tickets over six years. University officials recently said that “athletic department administration” had not known about her latest ticket, issued last October for driving 77 mph in a 55-mph zone in Morgan County. But Willock’s lawyers said LeCroy’s supervisor was riding in the car when she received the latest ticket."

slugboy

Staff member

"In doing so, the lawyers make two potentially explosive allegations. First, they claim prospective recruits were at an Athens strip club with Devin Willock, LeCroy and other players and football staff members the night of the crash — a potential violation of NCAA rules. And, second, they say LeCroy was served alcohol at UGA Athletic Association events while she was assigned to ferry recruits and their families around Athens in a luxury SUV rented by the university."

"The university gave LeCroy possession of the Expedition despite her driving history, which includes four speeding tickets over six years. University officials recently said that “athletic department administration” had not known about her latest ticket, issued last October for driving 77 mph in a 55-mph zone in Morgan County. But Willock’s lawyers said LeCroy’s supervisor was riding in the car when she received the latest ticket."
Reads like people are about to get fired—maybe even an AD after a national football title.

I’m surprised that the UGA AA didn’t find the $2 million to pay everything that Willock is asking for just to stop the case. (Willock may not be open to that)

This is looking like negligence, or at least that’s one thing the lawyers are trying to prove.

Last edited:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Reads like people are about to get fired—maybe even an AD after a national football title.

I’m surprised that the UGA AA didn’t find the $2 million to pay everything that Willock is asking for just to stop the case. (Willock may not be open to that)

This is looking like negligence, or at least that’s one thing the lawyers are trying to prove.
The 2million is what he's sueing the school for, max for a state agency. The AA and LeCroy estate could be the next ones to be served.
The father is probably most upset, outside of losing his son of course, that the school and AA came out and said they would change NOTHING. His son died in a senseless tragedy, and the ones in charge said, "everything is fine. "
I really believe its not about the money, but its about making sure his son didn't die for nothing. UGA should have had an outside agency review their practices and recommend changes. But their arrogance will cost them as it should.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The 2million is what he's sueing the school for, max for a state agency. The AA and LeCroy estate could be the next ones to be served.
The father is probably most upset, outside of losing his son of course, that the school and AA came out and said they would change NOTHING. His son died in a senseless tragedy, and the ones in charge said, "everything is fine. "
I really believe its not about the money, but its about making sure his son didn't die for nothing. UGA should have had an outside agency review their practices and recommend changes. But their arrogance will cost them as it should.
The whole thing makes me sick to my stomach. And this is not about hatred of uga, or anything like that, I have just always had an intense reaction to people’s lives getting destroyed for no reason and then people covering it up because of $.

It just stinks in the worst possible way.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Another interesting tidbit...

"Carter, who is serving 12 months probation on charges related to the crash, was driving on a suspended Florida license when he led LeCroy on a high-speed race through Athens early Jan. 15, the lawsuit alleges."

If this is true, then there are a LOT of questions that are going to need to be answered by the A-CC police...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Even more interesting new items...

"LeCroy and Bowles “were told and texted during the 2021 National Championship Celebration and Recruiting weekends in the Fall of 2022 that they could and should keep leased vehicles all weekend, including overnight, until all recruits and recruit families left Athens, GA, and to keep their phones charged in case they were needed to transport their assigned recruit or another analyst’s recruit or family members, coaches, or others to and from weekend recruiting activities.” They were given the same instructions for this year’s national championship celebration weekend."

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I remember reading a Mark Richt interview shortly after he and uga parted ways. He said something along the lines of "Everyone sees the grass as greener on the other side and wants it on their side, until they realize what it is fertilized with." He didnt run a clean program, but HE ran that program, rather than the program run him. Maybe Kirby has created a monster and the admin has allowed it and the jenga blocks are being removed.