Mutts

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Do we give credit to the AJC for really hunting this story down and forcing it to be brought to light? How many other "incidents" have happened over there that would have had major implications on the program that Gantt was able to sweep up? Will the blame be properly placed on the athletic department or will they blame Gantt for not getting this under control before it blew up?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Bad decision have bad consequences. I wish kids knew what adults know but I guess that's how we know what we know, from learning form ours and others bad decisions.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Do we give credit to the AJC for really hunting this story down and forcing it to be brought to light? How many other "incidents" have happened over there that would have had major implications on the program that Gantt was able to sweep up? Will the blame be properly placed on the athletic department or will they blame Gantt for not getting this under control before it blew up?

The AJC has done an incredible job of running this story to ground and I'd be surprised if it stops here. There are still a lot of unanswered questions about this incident.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Sadly I agree. My comment was mostly facetious.

More thug-life news hit the street today with dwag arrest warrant for racing the night of the crash plus the driver’s BAC. It’ll be interesting if anything actually comes from this from the NCAA. Doubtful. They’re probably too busy looking over Sports Authority receipts trying to find a way to void our last ACC championship in basketball…
Something not mentioned when reporting about the arrest was, per yesterday’s AJC, Jalen Carter was riding alongside the SUV (claims they weren’t racing) when the accident occurred. He evidently stopped, but then left. He later told the police that he was over a mile away when he heard about the accident. He came back to the site over an hour later saying he learned about the accident from other players. Gantt was already on the scene by the time Carter returned.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I gotta say, good job ajc. Everybody was ready to let this go but apparently there's a lot more here. And it's not just the ajc being nosy or salacious.

slugboy

Staff member
Bad decision have bad consequences. I wish kids knew what adults know but I guess that's how we know what we know, from learning form ours and others bad decisions.
Most adults don’t know what adults know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The AJC did journalism here.

UGA might end up severing ties with Gantt, but you shouldn’t blame the janitor when you made too big a mess. Plus, UGA should be very careful with the man who knows all the dirty secrets.

I would expect more player relations coaches, not fewer

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Statement from Head Football Coach Kirby Smart

"The charges announced today are deeply concerning, especially as we are still struggling to cope with the devastating loss of two beloved members of our community.

We will continue to cooperate fully with the authorities while supporting these families and assessing what we can learn from this horrible tragedy."

That's it folks.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Statement from Head Football Coach Kirby Smart

"The charges announced today are deeply concerning, especially as we are still struggling to cope with the devastating loss of two beloved members of our community.

We will continue to cooperate fully with the authorities while supporting these families and assessing what we can learn from this horrible tragedy."

That's it folks.
did the bare minimum. I don't see anything on any of uga's social pages. Although carter himself did release a statement saying that he was innocent.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Something not mentioned when reporting about the arrest was, per yesterday’s AJC, Jalen Carter was riding alongside the SUV (claims they weren’t racing) when the accident occurred. He evidently stopped, but then left. He later told the police that he was over a mile away when he heard about the accident. He came back to the site over an hour later saying he learned about the accident from other players. Gantt was already on the scene by the time Carter returned.
His cell phone data, when compared with the victims’ data, will probably be able to prove if his story is true or false.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
His cell phone data, when compared with the victims’ data, will probably be able to prove if his story is true or false.
That would be further evidence beyond that which they already have. From a previously linked article, https://localtoday.news/ga/uga-star...t-the-scene-of-the-fatal-accident-154184.html :

"In a videotaped interview, Carter gave the officer a conflicting account of what he knew about the crash, documents reviewed by the Journal-Constitution show. Carter first said he heard the wreck from an apartment complex nearly a mile away. He later said he saw it from a closer distance and told the officer he was behind and to the side of the car that crashed."

"An officer examining Carter’s car found scratch marks on the roof that appeared to be from power lines that fell when the expedition went off the road. The official concluded that the markings showed Carter passed much closer to the expedition than he originally claimed, according to documents reviewed by the Journal-Constitution."

I think it could be determined beyond a reasonable doubt Jaylen Carter's Jeep and the Expedition were racing at the time of the crash.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
2. Accountability and reform so this never happens to anyone’s child again who is supposedly being supervised / chaperoned by a school of higher education.

This is the main thing, as much as I hate the mutts I am a father. Some other father sent his kid to UGA with the implication that they were steering him in the correct direction. The culture at UGA has for quite a long time been apathetic at best to criminal activity. When you allow it to continue you condone it. In the end it very likely ends up with a young person no longer with us. Just sad all the way around.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Bark Madley has even cast a wanting ear at Kirby. Asking for something, anything about whats going on. (Paraphrase) you get paid 11million plus a year. You get the glory when good and the ire when bad.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I've been trying to think of the nicest way to say this, but Jalen Carter might have just gotten into more trouble than we realize. If he was at the scene, he had to have seen how bad that wreck was. He left without even calling 911 to get assistance on the way. This could possibly put him into further legal peril. In some states, leaving the scene of a crash you were involved in without rendering aid or calling 911 can get manslaughter added to the list of crimes you are indicted for. So far he has misdemeanors he has been charged with. I can easily see felony charges forthcoming once they get all the info together.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've been trying to think of the nicest way to say this, but Jalen Carter might have just gotten into more trouble than we realize. If he was at the scene, he had to have seen how bad that wreck was. He left without even calling 911 to get assistance on the way. This could possibly put him into further legal peril. In some states, leaving the scene of a crash you were involved in without rendering aid or calling 911 can get manslaughter added to the list of crimes you are indicted for. So far he has misdemeanors he has been charged with. I can easily see felony charges forthcoming once they get all the info together.

The thing they'll investigate is if he somehow caused the wreck during the race...and if there's video of him drinking at the strip club (there's video of the group together) that could lead down a lot of various outcomes. None good for Carter.

Carter had the world at his doorstep. Unfortunately, there are two young people now dead, and a LOT of unanswered questions.