Moving On

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What I instantly remembered was Don Lindsey's "Black Watch" defense from around 1984 or so, featuring Pat Swilling and Ted Roof. I don't know how it stacks up historically though.
Will t
And it will be Paul Johnson as the OC. Just doing only what he likes.
The spread option under center scheme with a head coach that's fired up about defense, recruiting, 0 walk away or academic attrition, looking for unseen problems, prompting the program to boosters/ Atl etc will be great.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I see Monken or maybe Bohannon as the "safe hire". That fits our current athletes and prior coaching philosophy. Wisenhunt is a risk hire since out of college game so long and no established staff to bring. Elliot is somewhat risky as well with no HC experience and would need to assemble a staff. Collins would be a little safer with HC experience and an established staff plus he knows about GT. If he runs a spread option then we have players that could transition pretty fast. Linemen can add 20 lbs without much trouble if that is needed by a new O.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I see Monken or maybe Bohannon as the "safe hire".

It makes me wonder ... what would GT look like if TStan assembled an all-star team of coaches who truly understood the TO in a way no one else did. Then, build an infrastructure around recruiting and developing not only talent, but younger coaches too .. so we don't have to do this again.

As Jim Collins said, "Find something you can be the best in the world at. And excel at it."

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It makes me wonder ... what would GT look like if TStan assembled an all-star team of coaches who truly understood the TO in a way no one else did. Then, build an infrastructure around recruiting and developing not only talent, but younger coaches too .. so we don't have to do this again.

As Jim Collins said, "Find something you can be the best in the world at. And excel at it."

Love this. As much as I love CPJ, and I know how respected he is across the FB coaching spectrum (even Belichik has consulted with him), he is very "set" in his ways. I believe if what you describe happened (realize it probably will not), and we had a solid recruiting strategy with enough financial support, this would give GT the opportunity to LEAD at something that could create an extended time period of success.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Out of curiosity - wonder if anyone knows when our most prolific Defensive era was?

Don't know the stats but comparing stats from different eras is pointless anyway but based on personal observation the Tenuta era was the best in modern times followed by the 1990 national champs defense with Willie "Big Play" Clay and Ken Swilling, J. Williams, Coleman Rudolph and friends. Dodd had several teams in the 1950s that were absolutely ferocious on defense. The 1952 national champs had six All Americans and produced a slew of shut outs. This is just off the top of my head.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
What I instantly remembered was Don Lindsey's "Black Watch" defense from around 1984 or so, featuring Pat Swilling and Ted Roof. I don't know how it stacks up historically though.
Forgot about that one. Yes, the Black Watch was right there with the Tenuta era, the 1990 national champs and the great Dodd defenses of the 1950s. One thing about the Black Watch was when Pat Swilling, Cleve Pounds, or Ted Roof hit you it was generally a given that there was none of that falling forward stuff the backs were going backwards. Man, I saw Cleve Pounds hit a boy on a screen pass so hard I thought he had broken the dude in two.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ok Times Up Wisenhutt, Either take the job or move on; Next Man Up, Stansbury show some backbone you have allegiance to the school not your friend

It is getting to be about that time for the Whiz to decide which way to jump. TStan has an athletic department to run and first order of business is interviewing coaches so if Plan A, that's you Whiz, is not going down then its on to Plan B ASAP.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

The game I most remember during the "Black Watch" defense era was a game at BDS against a highly ranked Clemson team.
If I remember right we won 21-19 and stopped them twice on downs in the 4th quarter inside the 5-yard line ...

MidtownJacket

Staff member

I have been thinking about this a lot. What if.. right?

What if we doubled down on the TO. What if we worked with CPJ, who has been on record as saying he always thought he just wanted to coach his high school team, to start doing TO clinics up and down the south eastern seaboard. What if we got a group of alumni donors who started writing checks to let us recruit nationally, but ALSO invested time/effort/money into highschool football and clinics to bring the TO back in vogue.

It would be quite the thing to see.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Forgot about that one. Yes, the Black Watch was right there with the Tenuta era, the 1990 national champs and the great Dodd defenses of the 1950s. One thing about the Black Watch was when Pat Swilling, Cleve Pounds, or Ted Roof hit you it was generally a given that there was none of that falling forward stuff the backs were going backwards. Man, I saw Cleve Pounds hit a boy on a screen pass so hard I thought he had broken the dude in two.
I always thought Pounds wasn't really Cleve's last name, but a verb describing what Cleve did to running backs and receivers.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
The game I most remember during the "Black Watch" defense era was a game at BDS against a highly ranked Clemson team.
If I remember right we won 21-19 and stopped them twice on downs in the 4th quarter inside the 5-yard line ...
You're having 1990 flashbacks. Black Watch was 1984-5.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

Vespidae, if you don't watch out, you're going to inspire belief around here. You're inspiring me, and I already believed. :)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Vespidae, if you don't watch out, you're going to inspire belief around here. You're inspiring me, and I already believed. :)

Ha ha. It's what I would do. I spent my career turning crappy organizations into world-beaters. And it's about two things (at least in business): Clearly define the operating model (or in sports, the team philosophy) and FOCUS on executing it better than anyone.

Worked every time. In every industry. In every country.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Love this. As much as I love CPJ, and I know how respected he is across the FB coaching spectrum (even Belichik has consulted with him), he is very "set" in his ways. I believe if what you describe happened (realize it probably will not), and we had a solid recruiting strategy with enough financial support, this would give GT the opportunity to LEAD at something that could create an extended time period of success.

Lou Holtz described the TO has unbeatable. Bear Bryant was a huge fan and ran if from 1970 until he died.

I worked with a Dutch company once whose level of detailed understanding was beyond anything I had ever seen. Their primary competitor was given the same technology as they, and yet ...they destroyed them. Such was the focus on understanding it. Imagine that for the TO. I think it would be fabulous.