Moving On

GoodBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you for the post, and for having contributed Stylee !! I lurk a lot more than I post, as I'm not nearly as versed technically in football.

I remember when this board had just gotten started. I always visited other boards as well just to see certain posters. I specifically told a Tech buddy that there were 3 guys from another board that I was hoping to see jump over: @stylee, @steebu, and @Boomergump. All 3 always had respectful and informative posts. I learned a ton from you guys!!

Please keep posting, regardless of offense!!

By the way, I can't remember the last time I visited another board. Nothing matches GTSwarm!!!!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Out of curiosity - wonder if anyone knows when our most prolific Defensive era was?

Not sure the answer to that, but on an interesting note, in Chan Gailey's last year, our DFEI was only 70. OFEI was 50.

Even more interesting? CPJ's last year at Navy his DFEI was 58 and OFEI was 2.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Out of curiosity - wonder if anyone knows when our most prolific Defensive era was?

during or after the use of leather helmets?
comparing defensive numbers, and even offensive numbers, from now to anything more than 20 years old is difficult because the rules have opened up so much for offenses. Not as much as the NFL has, but defensive holding and pass interference seem to be called a lot more and with more frequency than before.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for the post, and for having contributed Stylee !! I lurk a lot more than I post, as I'm not nearly as versed technically in football.

I remember when this board had just gotten started. I always visited other boards as well just to see certain posters. I specifically told a Tech buddy that there were 3 guys from another board that I was hoping to see jump over: @stylee, @steebu, and @Boomergump. All 3 always had respectful and informative posts. I learned a ton from you guys!!

Please keep posting, regardless of offense!!

By the way, I can't remember the last time I visited another board. Nothing matches GTSwarm!!!!

This. Bbuzzoff (by whatever name) was a practically a waste of a forum, imo. That's why I can't understand why @John wants to promote that style.

Still, @steebu and @stylee brought valuable content that made me at least check that board from time to time. I'll miss them now that they've passed.

... I know, but I was in the flow.

The OP raised the key question: how much better will our D get without our O falling too far.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
You lasted so long because you are more knowledgeable than most as well as nicer and more patient than most. A better man than me :D

I've seen @stylee's meaner side on another board. It was quite funny. Some guy was complaining we didn't run "advanced concepts" like Smash and stylee said we did. They went back and forth and at one point stylee said he would be happy to teach the other guy what a Smash concept was.

The other guy responded that he was a coach and knew what the concept was and we didn't run it.

Then the conversation died when stylee posted something like a dozen videos of us running Smash.

:ROFLMAO:

slugboy

Staff member
What I instantly remembered was Don Lindsey's "Black Watch" defense from around 1984 or so, featuring Pat Swilling and Ted Roof. I don't know how it stacks up historically though.

The most efficient defense was probably some time under Heisman or Dodd when the scoring was lower. I don’t know if a way to equalize across eras.
The 1990 defense with Ken Swilling was powerful. No one wanted to catch a pass across the middle; at least not twice.

Adios, @stylee. Hope you find a good landing spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Wait for it... wait for it... 4 years and the option willl be back.

I have mixed feelings on this.

In my corporate career, I successfully ran businesses from the $30M size (small) to more than $500M (medium). At the height of my career, I had 11 manufacturing operations and more than 2,000 employees working for me, globally.

In every business, the key issue was the lack of a consistent business philosophy around which to organize the team. It is impossible to recruit (in this case, employees), develop (via training, job experience, etc.), deploy, measure, monitor and improve ... when the philosophy is not clearly understood by ALL employees and worse ... when it changes every 2-3 years. In my case, we made a conscious decision that we would absolutely MASTER one chosen philosophy of running the business. We did. By the time I left, we had become the largest, most profitable business of our type in the world. And it wasn't even close. This reputation helped us attract ever brighter, more motivated employees who wanted our firm's name on their resume. It was a virtuous cycle.

I remain convinced that there MUST be a GT Way of football. My own experience says that you cannot be successful by completely changing a team's philosophy with every coaching change. The role of the AD, for example, should be to guide the development of the philosophy, and then provide the resources for it to be MASTERED and executed, consistently for decades, or more. You know you are successful when other schools recruit from you just as other businesses poach employees to "learn their system".

Will the option be back? Maybe. Maybe not. But ultimately, GT must find a philosophy that works for the Yellow Jackets ... and then, MASTER it. I feel like this has been our problem since ... 1956.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wait for it... wait for it... 4 years and the option willl be back.

I know that many do not want to hear this, and of course, it is ONLY an opinion, but I could see a situation with PJ like what happened with Snyder at K-State. Not saying it will happen, but the way PJ is leaving, without any additional financial hit to GT, he is definitely leaving on great terms, and if we do go into the dumpster trying to run a standard offense, then anything is possible.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I have mixed feelings on this.

In my corporate career, I successfully ran businesses from the $30M size (small) to more than $500M (medium). At the height of my career, I had 11 manufacturing operations and more than 2,000 employees working for me, globally.

In every business, the key issue was the lack of a consistent business philosophy around which to organize the team. It is impossible to recruit (in this case, employees), develop (via training, job experience, etc.), deploy, measure, monitor and improve ... when the philosophy is not clearly understood by ALL employees and worse ... when it changes every 2-3 years. In my case, we made a conscious decision that we would absolutely MASTER one chosen philosophy of running the business. We did. By the time I left, we had become the largest, most profitable business of our type in the world. And it wasn't even close. This reputation helped us attract ever brighter, more motivated employees who wanted our firm's name on their resume. It was a virtuous cycle.

I remain convinced that there MUST be a GT Way of football. My own experience says that you cannot be successful by completely changing a team's philosophy with every coaching change. The role of the AD, for example, should be to guide the development of the philosophy, and then provide the resources for it to be MASTERED and executed, consistently for decades, or more. You know you are successful when other schools recruit from you just as other businesses poach employees to "learn their system".

Will the option be back? Maybe. Maybe not. But ultimately, GT must find a philosophy that works for the Yellow Jackets ... and then, MASTER it. I feel like this has been our problem since ... 1956.
Great post! Agree completely!