Moving On

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Well, I think we came full-circle ... the problem is I still have a couple of hours to kill here at work (sic) !

Ha ha. I said "you have to be able to pass" ... not that you actually "have to" pass. That's different than those who want a 50/50 balanced attack.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Ha ha. I said "you have to be able to pass" ... not that you actually "have to" pass. That's different than those who want a 50/50 balanced attack.

Are you under the impression that you can have a credible passing attack if you never actually pass?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Are you under the impression that you can have a credible passing attack if you never actually pass?

I didn't suggest that. I was opining that the TO is predominantly a running offense. Run. Run. Run. And while you do pass "occasionally, and unexpectedly", you don't have to pass 50 percent of the time. That's not a TO.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I read Ken Niumtalolo's thoughts on the TO and he clearly states that as the goal. One must limit the opportunities for the opponent to score.
Monken disagrees with this. I can't find the article but he explains how ball control is good when there is a talent disparity, but when you are better you look to be explosive. I will try to find the article later.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I think we'll agree to disagree on this one.
But, think about how many 3rd and 6-7-8-9-10-etc we have converted by pass ... not many.
If we don't get the 4-5-6 yards on 1st down we put ourselves behind the 8-ball because we are not diversified and the defense can stack the LOS.
Try to remember when we had a good QB. It wasn't long ago. How good was our offense then??

It's very likely we will have that kind of QB again very soon (Graham and Yates).

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
IMO, in today's P5 college football world you need a balance attack on offense ... the TO is not a balance attack.
UGA was 16th is run attempts per play and 115th in passing attempts per play. They were certainly not balanced and they were rank 3 in FEI and S&P offense.

You need to be *good* at both phases of the game, but you do not need to be balanced in your play calling. Our 2014 offense was 3 in FEI and 4 in S&P offense yet we had pass attempt percentage of 125 and rushing attempt percentage of 4. The difference was when we threw in 2014 with Justin Thomas was we were successful at it. We excelled on the ground and were good in the air.

So if by balance you mean we should be good at both, then sure, but of course everyone wants to be the best at everything they do. But I wouldn't say Georgia should start throwing more for the sake of throwing more. Nor do I think we should either.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
That makes total sense. I mean, why wouldn't you?
I agree, but I never heard CPJ explain it the way Monken did. CPJ made it sound like his goal was to limit possessions every game. I don't know if that was the case, but it sounded like it in interviews at times.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
UGA was 16th is run attempts per play and 115th in passing attempts per play. They were certainly not balanced and they were rank 3 in FEI and S&P offense.

You need to be *good* at both phases of the game, but you do not need to be balanced in your play calling. Our 2014 offense was 3 in FEI and 4 in S&P offense yet we had pass attempt percentage of 125 and rushing attempt percentage of 4. The difference was when we threw in 2014 with Justin Thomas was we were successful at it. We excelled on the ground and were good in the air.

So if by balance you mean we should be good at both, then sure, but of course everyone wants to be the best at everything they do. But I wouldn't say Georgia should start throwing more for the sake of throwing more. Nor do I think we should either.

Maybe instead of balanced attack, I should say balance threat ?? ... actually a dual-threat QB with more diversified play-calling.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I think we'll agree to disagree on this one.
But, think about how many 3rd and 6-7-8-9-10-etc we have converted by pass ... not many.
If we don't get the 4-5-6 yards on 1st down we put ourselves behind the 8-ball because we are not diversified and the defense can stack the LOS.
In 2014 we were top 5 in converting 3rd and 7+. What we were lacking this year was solid QB play, but that doesn't mean the scheme is the issue. You can make the claim that our offense relies too much on the QB position to be consistent, but we have proven that with a good qb and just one good receiver our passing is fine.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Maybe instead of balanced attack, I should say balance threat ?? ... actually a dual-threat QB with more diversified play-calling.
I believe CPJ would be the first to say we need to be able to throw the ball when we need to, whether it's 3rd and 9 or play action on 2nd and 4. We could not this year and it showed. I am trying to make the claim that scheme is not the fundamental issue. We couldn't block up front and throwing was clearly not TQM's strong suit. But the offense's ability to throw is there, CPJ had some big passers when he OC'd in Hawaii, he just had different personnel.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
In 2014 we were top 5 in converting 3rd and 7+. What we were lacking this year was solid QB play, but that doesn't mean the scheme is the issue. You can make the claim that our offense relies too much on the QB position to be consistent, but we have proven that with a good qb and just one good receiver our passing is fine.

I don't agree with our passing is fine, and I doubt you'll find too many people outside of the TO crowd that would agree with that ... you quote 2014, what was our completion % this year ?
Then you'll repeat the poor QB play this year ... and then my question is why can't we recruit a suitable QB instead of having a BBack playing the position.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I believe CPJ would be the first to say we need to be able to throw the ball when we need to, whether it's 3rd and 9 or play action on 2nd and 4. We could not this year and it showed. I am trying to make the claim that scheme is not the fundamental issue. We couldn't block up front and throwing was clearly not TQM's strong suit. But the offense's ability to throw is there, CPJ had some big passers when he OC'd in Hawaii, he just had different personnel.

If the scheme isn't the issue, why can't we recruit to it ?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If the scheme isn't the issue, why can't we recruit to it ?
Jaylend Ratliffe had a freak ATV accident in high school and never got to play in college. Jay Jones transferred. Lucas Johnson had a freak leg injury and was supposed to be a passing downs QB this year.

All would have been better passers than TQM. QB is a position where it's hard to lose that many and still be functional.

On top of that, we signed a 4star in 2018 who we redshirted and we have an incoming in 2019 who looks special.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Jaylend Ratliffe had a freak ATV accident in high school and never got to play in college. Jay Jones transferred. Lucas Johnson had a freak leg injury and was supposed to be a passing downs QB this year.

All would have been better passers than TQM. QB is a position where it's hard to lose that many and still be functional.

On top of that, we signed a 4star in 2018 who we redshirted and we have an incoming in 2019 who looks special.

10-4 ... we'll see what happens !

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
. I am convinced that PJ was a perfectionist in execution and only the sheer desire of our players often was the difference. ....
I am sure he was in his demands, and should have been, but I know what you're saying. As to the "sheer desire," well, yes. He, and Coach N (sorry, I am too lazy to spell that one) and Monken would be of one voice about coaching academy teams: their sheer desire to compete. it keeps you, for instance, within one score of Oklahoma, which will be playing for a NC.