Moving On

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Well, not me from this board. Not totally. I've posted a lot less frequently of late, due to a more hectic work/family schedule. Furthermore, as GT moves on from the Paul Johnson spread option, I'll just have less to say. If we were to hire an airraid or RnS guy, I'd have some decent input. But the generic pro or generic college spread offenses? Not really something I've ever been interested in. So just a few thoughts:

1) Lots of really great posters on this board, which makes it a joy to read and participate. I'm a sidewalk fan and have never been made to feel less welcome because of it. I started following GT when my sister moved to Atlanta in the Calvin days. I had been a longtime Johnson devotee, so the hiring really upped my fanaticism. This is by far the best of the GT boards, pound for pound. Keep it up. Also, special props to steebu, who is much better than me at elucidating what's going on in the option.

2) The opposition to Johnson's system by segments of the fanbase was, for the most part, aesthetically-driven. Which is fine; I find the double wing really ugly and the RPO stuff mostly inelegant and, all else being equal, would prefer not to see them. But if you showed me an offense that was objectively performing well using those offenses, I'd acknowledge that effectiveness and would have a hard time asking for a change just because it looks ugly to me.

In CPJ's 11 years, we've been been a top 25 offense (by OFEI) 8 times. Twice we've cracked the top 5 (#2 in 2009, #3 in 2014). Sometimes we've performed really well despite a relatively weak and shallow roster. For instance, 2012 - when we basically had no one at WR - we finished #11. There have been three years that were mediocre-to-bad: 2010 (#64), 2013 (#39), and 2015 (#88). For the most part, our offenses have vastly overperformed compared to our level of talent.

The rationalizations for why we should have scrapped - or heavily modified - what we did offensively were of more and less sophisticated varieties. The more reactionary arguments tended to center on vague claims that the offense had been "figured out" or was somehow uniquely weak against good defenses and uniquely strong against poor defenses. More thoughtful critics focused on recruiting (addressed more deeply below), our admittedly-ugly pass blocking schemes, or the belief that an "opening up" of the offense by putting it in the gun, or by passing on 30-40% of our plays, or whatnot, would just obviously result in better offensive performance. But very few people would honestly admit that the aesthetic component was driving their ostensibly-performance-based critiques. That's a shame. The best proof for this may come with the next coach/OC. If the offensive performance is significantly worse, will the CPJ-offense critics cry for a "closing down" of the offense, more running, more triple option? Nah. There won't be calls to change offensive strategy as a whole from the anti-triple crowd if it's an offense they find aesthetically pleasing - maybe pass a bit more, maybe run a bit more, but not "scrap the offense, it doesn't work at this level!"

3) The odds are that the next offense will not do as well. It's not impossible, of course. But, tautologically, most offensive coaches are not performing in the top 20%. Those that do so on a fairly consistent level tend to be the guys at the schools with the most talent, which shouldn't be surprising. I think recruiting can be better, but I don't think anyone here can claim with a straight face that we will be a top-25 recruiting school year-in and year-out under the next guy. That guy will have to overperform relative to talent to keep up with CPJ. If you are expecting the next guy to be as good or better offensively, you're crazy.

4) The odds are that the next defense will do better. I am at a loss for why CPJ found zero success on defense through every DC. I liked Charles Kelly a lot and wish we could have held on to him. I like Woody a lot stylistically and hope the next coach gives him a bit more time. A decent bump in defensive performance with a not-dramatic drop in offensive performance will probably mean we've improved as a team. We will see.

5) The offense hurt our chances with some offensive recruits. I don't think any sane person can disagree with this. But any fair evaluation of our recruiting as a whole has to include how guys actually panned out here, not just their high school star rankings. Whether we found diamonds in the rough, or whether certain guys were uniquely suited for our offense, etc., is pretty irrelevant to this analysis. Yes, there's a strong correlation between 4 and 5 stars and on-field performance, but it's not perfect. I sure would have liked to have landed a few 5 star running backs and WRs. I'm guessing that in this offense Marcus Lattimore would have outrushed David Sims and Odell Beckham would have been better than Jeff Greene. Running this offense may have disqualified us for some guys like that.

I think some of this disadvantage could have been allayed by better PR. Send memos to the ESPN guys that the B-Back is a "running back" or something, and definitely not a "fullback." Call the A-Backs "slots" or "slash." Etc.

But we still landed guys that, on the field, played like 4-5 stars. Smelter. Hill. Justin Thomas. Synjyn Days at BB in the latter days of 2014 was probably playing like a four star. Shaq Mason. Waller. Etc. Would have been nice to land more but the proof is in the pudding.

6) There's a perception that CPJ is not flexible and/or doesn't adapt to his talent. I think this is true insofar as it relates to some cosmetic issues. We could have continued what we did in 2012-2013 and lined up occasionally in the gun or pistol. We performed well in 2012 changing it up occasionally. When Tevin left and we kept it up, the results weren't quite as good. But I bet going to the gun even 10 times a game would have mollified some of the aesthetically-disgruntled fans and recruits. CPJ didn't care about pleasing people and may have believed the impact on recruiting would have been minimal.

On substantive issues, CPJ was plenty flexible. I went over some stats in another thread about our passing attempts variability - when we had guys who could catch and throw, we threw it more. When we had a guy with a great arm, we passed more (though not as well, unfortunately). CPJ clearly saw what some guys did well and built gameplans around that; Matthew Jordan and the QB sprint-out, Tobias and the QB sweep, TM and the QB counters. Bebe on the smoke screen. Had CPJ been able to put Lucas Johnson or the incoming frosh QB on the field in 2019, I'm fairly confident we would have thrown it roughly twice as much as we did this year.

Contrary to popular opinion, we did implement some Run-and-Shoot stuff. The most-used play was "Go" - A Back goes in flat motion across the formation pre-snap, putting us in trips. The inside A Back goes to the flat, the outside WR runs a fly route, and the middle/motion A-Back has a read route where he can settle to a curl under a cover 4 look, run a post on a MOFO (middle of the field open) look, or run a seam if the MOFC. We also ran "Switch" occasionally (though more often on playaction and thus likely no read), Slide, and Choice.

The way we did the RnS was fairly basic. The most complicated version of Slide that the real RnS teams did had a dizzying number of permutations based on post-snap reads. We also ran less RnS with QBs who didn't read things as well or couldn't throw as well. Again, Johnson adapted the basic framework to the talent he had.

7) We can do well on offense under any coach that takes over with the roster we have now. As CPJ said in his press conference, these guys are athletes. A good coach will make his system work with these dudes. We are not necessarily in for a long rebuilding process. There may be a couple of Gardner-Webb type hiccups early but I just don't think the next coach really has a ready-made excuse.

8) To Hell With Georgia.

Last edited:

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
Great post and thanks for all your contributions. Posts like yours, Longestdays, our defensive breakdown man (sorry, senior moment) Boomer and other people who actually know what they are talking about are why this is the best forum. I don't post much because I have little to add. Unfortunately, that is not the rule in many of the next coach threads. Maybe after we hire someone, this will return to a forum with information, rather than unsupported opinions.

Bob

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Agreed. The odds are not in our favor to outperform what CPJ has done and I’ve never seen an offense that continuously ranks in the top 25 get slammed as much as CPJ’s does just because of some stereotypical BS. We’ll be fine if we can hire the right coach and have the right resources but I highly doubt we’ll have as much offensive success. I think the hope now is we can be top 40 or so in both offense and defense. We may look like we’re scoring as much though with more possessions.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for writing all of this - I actually considered putting a lot of these thoughts down in a thread, but I knew that it would be better coming from someone like you, so I appreciate it greatly. Here is my favorite paragraph, for those who don't like reading the larger piece above:

The rationalizations for why we should have scrapped - or heavily modified - what we did offensively were of more and less sophisticated varieties. The more reactionary arguments tended to center on vague claims that the offense had been "figured out" or was somehow uniquely weak against good defenses and uniquely strong against poor defenses. More thoughtful critics focused on recruiting (addressed more deeply below), our admittedly-ugly pass blocking schemes, or the belief that an "opening up" of the offense by putting it in the gun, or by passing on 30-40% of our plays, or whatnot, would just obviously result in better offensive performance. But very few people would honestly admit that the aesthetic component was driving their ostensibly-performance-based critiques. That's a shame. The best proof for this may come with the next coach/OC. If the offensive performance is significantly worse, will the CPJ-offense critics cry for a "closing down" of the offense, more running, more triple option? Nah. There won't be calls to change offensive strategy as a whole from the anti-triple crowd if it's an offense they find aesthetically pleasing - maybe pass a bit more, maybe run a bit more, but not "scrap the offense, it doesn't work at this level!"

Also, you wondered in your piece why we never performed better on the defensive side of the ball, even with multiple D coordinators, it is my opinion, and my opinion only, that we really never had the LB talent (or at least enough of it) (I know the DL talent was very suspect also - but at GT, that is ALWAYS going to be true to some degree; there just isn't enough 300 lb. guys with motors to recruit) that was necessary from a speed/size standpoint to have the success we needed. I think the DC's get the blame, but really, they were all good coaches. I believe the reason for the LB issue did somewhat stem from the following negative recruiting that probably occurred against PJ - "all you will see in practice are guys coming at your knees; do you really want to do that?"

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks Stylee, I always enjoyed your input.

Any person who questions the validity or the effectiveness of the flex-bone offense simply wasn't paying attention. CPJ's offense will go down as the most prolific era of GT offensive football without question. It won't even be close. The only knock, that has yet to be debunked, IMHO, is the notion that it negatively affects defensive recruiting, especially along the D-Line. I am not convinced that it is true, but I must admit, it has yet to be, and never will be, proven to be untrue, now that CPJ has moved on.

I understand your conundrum and wish you the best.

God-speed young man!

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
"You've run off one option geek, who are you going to run off next?"

'Bout time we got rid of the sidewalk fan riff-raff. :geek:

Unlike #BrightandGay (Ilovetheoption) and #HoneyBadgerNumberOneFan (stylee), I guess I'm in it for the long haul since I got out of GT years ago :D . Gonna miss the option convos if we move away from it.

Well said on points 1-8, couldn't agree more. But I have some thoughts on why our defense was never as good as it could be, and I'm going to say it knowing that people are going to blow it out of proportion. Maybe guys who actually played for Johnson can chime in.

1. Depth - quality depth. Can't go full-speed, full contact like Alabama does.
2. CPJ alluded to the fact that the scout team gave the defense "looks" and not full packages.
3. Little film time. I know, I know. Everyone's gonna go, "there's that education excuse again", but it's the truth. Our guys just don't have hours to devote to film study unlike at other places. Support staff at other schools can generate videos for guys to watch on their laptop in bed. Our minimal support staff are too busy with other things.

You always hear about opponents' scout teams just can't match the speed of our offense - the same holds true for our scout team emulating the other team's offense. Now combine that with points 1-3 as a backdrop and you've got a recipe for mediocre defense.

Just my opinion, though.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First to @stylee , thanks. I post a lot more than you do, but you do a lot better. Thanks again.

"You've run off one option geek, who are you going to run off next?"

'Bout time we got rid of the sidewalk fan riff-raff. :geek:

Unlike #BrightandGay (Ilovetheoption) and #HoneyBadgerNumberOneFan (stylee), I guess I'm in it for the long haul since I got out of GT years ago :D . Gonna miss the option convos if we move away from it.

Well said on points 1-8, couldn't agree more. But I have some thoughts on why our defense was never as good as it could be, and I'm going to say it knowing that people are going to blow it out of proportion. Maybe guys who actually played for Johnson can chime in.

1. Depth - quality depth. Can't go full-speed, full contact like Alabama does.
2. CPJ alluded to the fact that the scout team gave the defense "looks" and not full packages.
3. Little film time. I know, I know. Everyone's gonna go, "there's that education excuse again", but it's the truth. Our guys just don't have hours to devote to film study unlike at other places. Support staff at other schools can generate videos for guys to watch on their laptop in bed. Our minimal support staff are too busy with other things.

You always hear about opponents' scout teams just can't match the speed of our offense - the same holds true for our scout team emulating the other team's offense. Now combine that with points 1-3 as a backdrop and you've got a recipe for mediocre defense.

Just my opinion, though.

How much of our D problems could be that the O scout team is recruited for the TO and can't really simulate as well the O which the D will see that week?

I've read where Alabama players say the toughest part of the week is playing their scout team. So practice for most of the season is very important to advance. (Tangent: The Alabama scout team doesn't fake punt from mid-field though.)

So it could be that our O scout team just isn't as challenging for our starting D regardless of the offensive scheme. Or is it partly the O scheme?

Animal02

Banned
First to @stylee , thanks. I post a lot more than you do, but you do a lot better. Thanks again.

How much of our D problems could be that the O scout team is recruited for the TO and can't really simulate as well the O which the D will see that week?

I've read where Alabama players say the toughest part of the week is playing their scout team. So practice for most of the season is very important to advance. (The Alabama scout team doesn't fake punt from mid-field though.)

So it could be that our O scout team just isn't as challenging for our starting D regardless of the offensive scheme.
How much of the scout team is recruits vs Walk ons?

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow

I've read where Alabama players say the toughest part of the week is playing their scout team. So practice for most of the season is very important to advance. (Tangent: The Alabama scout team doesn't fake punt from mid-field though.)

So it could be that our O scout team just isn't as challenging for our starting D regardless of the offensive scheme. Or is it partly the O scheme?
Well thought out. Ga Tech is a sleeping giant that I credit Paul Johnson for starting to wake us all up. His style showed that a smart athlete going against a better athlete through option oriented offense can win. Add same concepts to defense and raise our recruiting a line win the Coastal and we are in the hunt for the CFP. Go Jackets.

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
I just don’t comprehend the aesthetic issue and never will. I was only a fan of GT because of the option and frankly I will admit I am a big fan of CPJ personally as well. I have no interest in watching any other football. If I want to watch grown men play catch I can just go watch the hippies in the park across the street from my house play ultimate frisbee.

I hope people appreciate CPJ more when he is gone. I will say that it was great for me that he was at GT because it is nice to be able to pull for real quality student athletes aside from the system. You don’t see guys like shamire, Malik, Parker ET al at other p5 schools so I will certainly continue to hope GT does well even if I don’t follow them anymore.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am going to say CPJ's "no man left behind" and the advent of APR "progressing to a degree" are the issues more than the option.

No other coach other than CPJ had to coach at GT with the APR in full swing with students forced to show progress to an actual degree.

CPJ never cut to find better talent on recruiting misses. This is greatly for us character people, but not great for win at all cost fans.

I predict, hope I eat crow, the defensive wows will improve a little and the offense will great degrade as we find out what APR really did to GT football (along with funding only better than WF).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As CPJ belongs on GT's Mount Rushmore of coaches, @stylee certainly deserves to be on GTSwarms Mount Rushmore of posters who contributed to the board's knowledge of X's and O's.

You will be...missed...or fondly remembered...or most likely forgotten once the season starts and our QB is throwing the football all over the field. (Kidding)

...although what's with all these option admirers and their "look at me, look at me...I'm out" threads lately?! Couldn't you and @ilovetheoption combine threads?

(again, I kid of course)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t comprehend the aesthetic issue and never will. I was only a fan of GT because of the option and frankly I will admit I am a big fan of CPJ personally as well. I have no interest in watching any other football. If I want to watch grown men play catch I can just go watch the hippies in the park across the street from my house play ultimate frisbee.

I hope people appreciate CPJ more when he is gone. I will say that it was great for me that he was at GT because it is nice to be able to pull for real quality student athletes aside from the system. You don’t see guys like shamire, Malik, Parker ET al at other p5 schools so I will certainly continue to hope GT does well even if I don’t follow them anymore.
It’s just Ultimate.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks Stylee, I always enjoyed your input.

Any person who questions the validity or the effectiveness of the flex-bone offense simply wasn't paying attention. CPJ's offense will go down as the most prolific era of GT offensive football without question. It won't even be close. The only knock, that has yet to be debunked, IMHO, is the notion that it negatively affects defensive recruiting, especially along the D-Line. I am not convinced that it is true, but I must admit, it has yet to be, and never will be, proven to be untrue, now that CPJ has moved on.

I understand your conundrum and wish you the best.

God-speed young man!

97-01 is our most prolific offensive era and Fridge is the greatest offensive mind in the history of Georgia Tech.