Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
again, our deficiencies today doesnt mean that we were amazing before. since 2014 paul was getting beat like a drum by clemson. he got kirby one year then his offense was completely ineffective after.
You do realize that the three of the last four Clemson teams Paul coached against played in the national title and two of them won it, right? All four of them played in the playoffs. Clemson lost a total of TWO ACC games in those four years. In 2018, we scored more points on Clemson than Alabama did in the National Championship. Most everyone looked like **** against them those four years.

And those two losses to Kirby in 2017 and 2018? I don’t know if you remember, but UGA lost in OT in the National Championship in 2017. In 2018, they were a blown 4th quarter lead in the SEC Championship game from playing in the playoffs again.

I know it sucks that our two biggest rivals are two of the top four or five elite programs right now, but it is what it is. No one was going to compete with them. Luckily, it looks like Clemson is coming back down to reality. UGA is 57-5 since 2017 against everyone, but Alabama. They are 0-4 against Alabama(hopefully 0-5 after next week). We have to accept that 110 programs aren’t in their league right now, especially not us. Collins didn’t win a single game against a P5 team with a winning record this year. I’d gladly take beating “mediocre” teams and getting creamed by Clemson and UGA right now. Instead, we’re getting creamed by Pittsburg.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You do realize that the three of the last four Clemson teams Paul coached against played in the national title and two of them won it, right? All four of them played in the playoffs. Clemson lost a total of TWO ACC games in those four years. In 2018, we scored more points on Clemson than Alabama did in the National Championship. Most everyone looked like **** against them those four years.

And those two losses to Kirby in 2017 and 2018? I don’t know if you remember, but UGA lost in OT in the National Championship in 2017. In 2018, they were a blown 4th quarter lead in the SEC Championship game from playing in the playoffs again.

I know it sucks that our two biggest rivals are two of the top four or five elite programs right now, but it is what it is. No one was going to compete with them. Luckily, it looks like Clemson is coming back down to reality. UGA is 57-5 since 2017 against everyone, but Alabama. They are 0-4 against Alabama(hopefully 0-5 after next week). We have to accept that 110 programs aren’t in their league right now, especially not us. Collins didn’t win a single game against a P5 team with a winning record this year. I’d gladly take beating “mediocre” teams and getting creamed by Clemson and UGA right now. Instead, we’re getting creamed by Pittsburg.
Yea, that all senior pitt ol and the guy that came in second in heisman sure whipped us.

In 18 after we fell on our face at usf, we screwed up at pitt with a good gt team and an average pitt team. 2 stupid losses. Then that duke game - oh what a sad way to get the qb injured. Lose to was duke imo is where the era ended . Sure coach did the magic agsinst mia and uva but if we had those 3 sad games, we go into uga with 10 wins. It was time.

To let go of that year, i am holding on to getting way better. I think we are going to try to be way better -- aim high- than the coastal. Collins can come along as he gathers enough players to attract a good coach. Thats when we collect a sack of money.
I have a feeling there are a lot of players from ga that can portal back to home at bds.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yea, that all senior pitt ol and the guy that came in second in heisman sure whipped us.

In 18 after we fell on our face at usf, we screwed up at pitt with a good gt team and an average pitt team. 2 stupid losses. Then that duke game - oh what a sad way to get the qb injured. Lose to was duke imo is where the era ended . Sure coach did the magic agsinst mia and uva but if we had those 3 sad games, we go into uga with 10 wins. It was time.

To let go of that year, i am holding on to getting way better. I think we are going to try to be way better -- aim high- than the coastal. Collins can come along as he gathers enough players to attract a good coach. Thats when we collect a sack of money.
I have a feeling there are a lot of players from ga that can portal back to home at bds.
You left out losing Benson - who had over 100 yards rushing already - at the start of the 2nd quarter against USF. Healthy Benson = at least 2 more wins, one against USF, in 2018. Just plain bad luck; it was the second straight year we lost our starting BB at the beginning of the season. Now you know - imho - why Paul went to a two-headed monster at BB.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You left out losing Benson - who had over 100 yards rushing already - at the start of the 2nd quarter against USF. Healthy Benson = at least 2 more wins, one against USF, in 2018. Just plain bad luck; it was the second straight year we lost our starting BB at the beginning of the season. Now you know - imho - why Paul went to a two-headed monster at BB.
With all due respect, if CPJ is allowed the “bad luck” excuse in year 11, we can’t just turn around and blame everything on Collins’ ineptitude in years 1-3. A few better bounces, and we don’t lose to Citadel. Lucas Johnson doesn’t turn the ball over on the goal line, and we beat Pitt for homecoming. Antonneus Clayton stays healthy for 2 seasons, and we probably win more games both seasons. Ref doesn’t screw up a 2-pt conversion by calling it a catch despite a heel out of bounds, and we don’t lose to NIU. A better block gets made on the goal line, and we beat Clemson in Death Valley. And don’t even get me started on the Miami game from last year. Heck, you think Benson’s loss hurt? How much would Leo Blackburn have helped this year? Or Jeff Sims in several games? Like it or not, luck is part of the game, and if Collins isn’t allowed a pass for anything, neither is CPJ. Or maybe we can just admit that Paul was a helluva coach but clearly was getting tired of everything the job entailed, and it was time for him to relax and enjoy the rest of his life without having to scream at college students for not knowing how to count to 3. And that although Collins has made a number of costly errors, not everything that contributed to our poor record was a direct result of his incompetence.

JacketFan137

Banned
With all due respect, if CPJ is allowed the “bad luck” excuse in year 11, we can’t just turn around and blame everything on Collins’ ineptitude in years 1-3. A few better bounces, and we don’t lose to Citadel. Lucas Johnson doesn’t turn the ball over on the goal line, and we beat Pitt for homecoming. Antonneus Clayton stays healthy for 2 seasons, and we probably win more games both seasons. Ref doesn’t screw up a 2-pt conversion by calling it a catch despite a heel out of bounds, and we don’t lose to NIU. A better block gets made on the goal line, and we beat Clemson in Death Valley. And don’t even get me started on the Miami game from last year. Heck, you think Benson’s loss hurt? How much would Leo Blackburn have helped this year? Or Jeff Sims in several games? Like it or not, luck is part of the game, and if Collins isn’t allowed a pass for anything, neither is CPJ. Or maybe we can just admit that Paul was a helluva coach but clearly was getting tired of everything the job entailed, and it was time for him to relax and enjoy the rest of his life without having to scream at college students for not knowing how to count to 3. And that although Collins has made a number of costly errors, not everything that contributed to our poor record was a direct result of his incompetence.
i think you are detailing a lot of the thoughts i had. too many people twisting the reality of the paul johnson era particularly at the end. i think a lot of these same people wouldn’t have been satisfied with collins regardless of what he did unless he was beating uga and playing for a title right now

i also don’t get why these people just can’t accept paul’s time was done, and continue to criticize collins only through the lenses of “well when we ran the option…” like our program was trending up and not down

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
... we can’t just turn around and blame everything on Collins’ ineptitude in years 1-3. A few better bounces, and we don’t lose ......
There have been consistent coaching issues for those three years.

For that Citadel game: The DC made a comment before the game about not having to prepare any differently for the 3O.(Whether they actually did prepare differently, I don't know) The offense abandoned things that were actually working, and opted for what appeared to me during the game to be treating the game as a practice scrimmage.

You have pointed out some plays/players who could have made a difference in close losses. However, if you look back you will see coaching issues in every one of those games that could have made a difference. Let's not compare to the former coach and start arguments about CPJ vs CGC. Let's compare to coaching in the rest of college football. How NCAA teams' coaches could not get a play call in before the play clock expired all the way thru at least the 11th game of the season this year? I only know of one.

EDIT: I had the same feeling during the NIU game this year as the Citadel game. In the stands it looked to me as though GT was simply playing a scrimmage game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You have pin pointed EXACTLY what I could not and still cannot stand about the criticism of CPJ. No extenuating circumstances were ever allowed for his losses or his down years. Ever.

But with all due respect if we give both coaches that benefit of the doubt then sure you can give CGC some wins over Citadel, NIU and a few others. But, by that measure, CPJ then gets wins against good Duke and Miami teams, pulls out 3 more wins against Georgia (one in which Bey Bey doesn’t drop an easy pass) and we do not lose the best QB recruit in recent memory to an ATV accident. So, sure Collins teams go from dismal to mediocre in his worst years and Johnson teams go from average to great. I’ll buy your trade off.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
You know, I don't really care how much the kids party during the week, how many waffles they eat, or any of that.

What I do care about is when they strap on, they are all business and ready to go.

Focused, disciplined, committed. Show up on time every day and do excellent work with a positive attitude.

That kind of thing.

On the practice field and in the stadium.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
i think you are detailing a lot of the thoughts i had. too many people twisting the reality of the paul johnson era particularly at the end. i think a lot of these same people wouldn’t have been satisfied with collins regardless of what he did unless he was beating uga and playing for a title right now

i also don’t get why these people just can’t accept paul’s time was done, and continue to criticize collins only through the lenses of “well when we ran the option…” like our program was trending up and not down
Fair. I'll stick with criticizing Collins because our football program is at an all time low. Everyone not named B*** L**** looks good by comparison right now. CPJ retired. We had to replace him. We made a bad hire.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Would’ve, could’ve, should’ve.... that’s always productive!
Johnson did some great things for our program. He left GT and coaching in general. It was amicable and appropriate.
Collins is our coach. His job is to win games. Coming into a new gig such as he did, he has two choices:
1. Put the best players you have in the best possible position to win football games even if it isn’t your “ideal” approach.
2. Instill your system / vision / direction, personnel be damned, and take your lumps until you get the personnel you need.
Outwardly, we were told by Collins and the AA that #2 was the plan. Since the wins haven’t come, I sincerely hope we have indeed sold out to #2 and that pieces are beginning to fall into place. We have 12-24 games to figure out if we’ve made positive progress, and games 13-24 aren’t a given. In other words, it’s Money Down!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Did the Collins pledge some off his buyout garanteed $ to be used for garantees for staff if they all are fired ?
Hard to hire with the fans ready for blood.
Or
Did gtaa proved the garanteed money for staff.?

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Did the Collins pledge some off his buyout garanteed $ to be used for garantees for staff if they all are fired ?
Hard to hire with the fans ready for blood.
Or
Did gtaa proved the garanteed money for staff.?
Interesting question. I pondered this as well. A job at Tech is likely a one year gig right now with Collins' seat very hot.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Interesting question. I pondered this as well. A job at Tech is likely a one year gig right now with Collins' seat very hot.
Owned an epcm business - when contruction ended at an unusual time and workers had time left with no income, it was hard to get quality staff. Lots of creative bonus- for top guys. My company , client, individual would put skin in game to get win win for all.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Come on Tech faithful, this is only 330 pages!! We can get this to 400 before the season starts... My guess is that it will be 750 by the end of the season when its "retired" because the coach is gone...

Perhaps a better suggestion (imo) would be if we pushed for quality of posts over quantity going forward?