Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
With all due respect, if CPJ is allowed the “bad luck” excuse in year 11, we can’t just turn around and blame everything on Collins’ ineptitude in years 1-3. A few better bounces, and we don’t lose to Citadel. Lucas Johnson doesn’t turn the ball over on the goal line, and we beat Pitt for homecoming. Antonneus Clayton stays healthy for 2 seasons, and we probably win more games both seasons. Ref doesn’t screw up a 2-pt conversion by calling it a catch despite a heel out of bounds, and we don’t lose to NIU. A better block gets made on the goal line, and we beat Clemson in Death Valley. And don’t even get me started on the Miami game from last year. Heck, you think Benson’s loss hurt? How much would Leo Blackburn have helped this year? Or Jeff Sims in several games? Like it or not, luck is part of the game, and if Collins isn’t allowed a pass for anything, neither is CPJ. Or maybe we can just admit that Paul was a helluva coach but clearly was getting tired of everything the job entailed, and it was time for him to relax and enjoy the rest of his life without having to scream at college students for not knowing how to count to 3. And that although Collins has made a number of costly errors, not everything that contributed to our poor record was a direct result of his incompetence.
I agree about luck. And I would have been really down on Paul for the 2018 season. Except that we won 7 games, finished second in the Coastal with a 5-3 ACC record, and went to a bowl game. I agree that we had some bad luck this year; we could have gone 6 - 6 or better if the ball bounced our way. But … we won 3 games and finished 6th in the Coastal. In short, Paul handled his bad luck and Collins didn't.

As to Paul wanting to retire, I agree again. More fan and financial support might have made a difference, but maybe not. He was getting to the age that some time off looks attractive and, believe me, looks aren't deceiving in this case. And, of course, not all our problems are due to Collins's incompetence. But … that isn't how we evaluate coaches. And we should expect that better recruiting (by conventional standards) would result in a winning record by now. There's only one doorstep we can lay that at.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
tbh i feel like this thread is just grounds for people to have way too much vitriol, myself included. no reason to still have this page front and center constantly getting bumped (in my opinion)
This whole thread has served its purpose, run its course, and needs to be deleted or at least frozen. Keeping it front and center can only harm Tech football.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
This whole thread has served its purpose, run its course, and needs to be deleted or at least frozen. Keeping it front and center can only harm Tech football.

Every forum of every college team has threads that vent about their coaches.

BUT in what fictional made up world could this thread possible do more damage than the HUGE damage of having three seasons of only winning 3 games each year?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think a thread doesn't get this long without interest. With that being said, I believe the 330 pages could be condensed to about 20 posts and/or original thoughts if we eliminated the redundancies.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Recruits, prospects, and their friends, parents read this stuff. So do competitive recruiters who love looking through our dirty laundry. Our continuing to dwell on it does us no good. Time to get off this sad train and make an effort to be positive for a change. Or just be quiet. If you love Tech!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Recruits, prospects, and their friends, parents read this stuff. So do competitive recruiters who love looking through our dirty laundry. Our continuing to dwell on it does us no good. Time to get off this sad train and make an effort to be positive for a change. Or just be quiet. If you love Tech!
Come on. What dirty laundry do you see in the thread? So a lot of us don't like Collins for all the right reasons -- one, he doesn't win -- and that surprises people? Want to end this thread? Fire Collins.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I think a thread doesn't get this long without interest. With that being said, I believe the 330 pages could be condensed to about 20 posts and/or original thoughts if we eliminated the redundancies.
Maybe condense it to one post:
Fire CGC.
No. He needs more time.
Why? He has only won 3 games per year.
Paul Johnson left the cupboard bare.
CPJ was a better coach.
CGC still has Thacker as DC.
Maybe Thacker will do better.
I hope we’re better next year but I doubt it.
We will be.
This thread is hurting our recruiting.
No our record is. Return to Fire CGC above

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Mods support the change, hence 330 pages of this garbage. If they didn't, this would've been nuked a long time for violations of the stickies at the top.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We never beat uga under gailey
If we could have figured out a way to replace the bright red UGA uniforms with the blue and white of Auburn, Coach Gailey would have beat Georgia every time. Any time Reggie saw those Auburn uniforms the light would come on and he would play ball as would his teammates. Funny how that works sometimes.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I agree about luck. And I would have been really down on Paul for the 2018 season. Except that we won 7 games, finished second in the Coastal with a 5-3 ACC record, and went to a bowl game. I agree that we had some bad luck this year; we could have gone 6 - 6 or better if the ball bounced our way. But … we won 3 games and finished 6th in the Coastal. In short, Paul handled his bad luck and Collins didn't.

As to Paul wanting to retire, I agree again. More fan and financial support might have made a difference, but maybe not. He was getting to the age that some time off looks attractive and, believe me, looks aren't deceiving in this case. And, of course, not all our problems are due to Collins's incompetence. But … that isn't how we evaluate coaches. And we should expect that better recruiting (by conventional standards) would result in a winning record by now. There's only one doorstep we can lay that at.
Of course, it is all not due to his incompetence. Much of what has transpired the past three years of football wilderness is due to some factors out of his control. But, whether you are a "good" coach or a "bad" coach the bottom line is winning ball games. It is a tough business which is why he is paid big bucks. After the season ended, Bear Bryant would retire to a luxury hotel in Birmingham and do little more than drink and relax to wind down for a few days. Bobby Dodd would play tennis with his cronies or go fishing. Different coaches handle the pressures of the job in different ways. Coach Collins is a grown man. He knows the score better than anyone on this forum including those like me that have been critical, perhaps overly harsh without knowing the full story of what has gone on behind the scenes with players and assistants. Maybe, one day, he will write a tell all book but until then there are players to recruit and practices to plan. IIWII
CGC will be the coach next year. Can we just kill this topic until he loses another game?
Has it broken the record yet? Of course it is probably past time to kill the topic as he is not going to get fired and will be the coach next year even if he manages to lose three of the first four games. I pray that it will not come to that and Coach Collins will right the ship. He has some good pieces, and a kinder schedule with no Notre Dame so there is that.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Sigh. This comes up couple of days. You don't get to tell fans how to be fans and you don't get to say what they can discuss in regards to the team they support. If the mods want to turn this site into a non negative promotional marketing site for the team then by all means they are in their rights to do so. As long as they are using it as a discussion forum, negative things may be discussed while the team is having negative results. That is just reality.