Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

JacketFan137

Banned
Complete garbage post. Nothing but a lot of confirmation bias. A tweaked version of the spread option can still be viable. Probably just needed to be tweaked to an RPO version under gun with a mixture of under center. All of the concepts are still used today even in the NFL to great success
paul johnson never showed any indication that he was willing to adjust his offense except that one season with vad lee and he almost immediately gave up. he was with us a decade and ran pretty much the same offense. your post implies some imaginary la la land alternate timeline that would involve our notoriously stubborn coach changing his ways. i loved paul johnson even constantly defended him amongst my uga friends and family. i will always hold some of those teams near and dear to my heart but you need to be realistic here

youre asking a coach that still had a player run to the sideline to get the play in to make adjustments to his offense?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
paul johnson never showed any indication that he was willing to adjust his offense except that one season with vad lee and he almost immediately gave up. he was with us a decade and ran pretty much the same offense. your post implies some imaginary la la land alternate timeline that would involve our notoriously stubborn coach changing his ways. i loved paul johnson even constantly defended him amongst my uga friends and family. i will always hold some of those teams near and dear to my heart but you need to be realistic here

youre asking a coach that still had a player run to the sideline to get the play in to make adjustments to his offense?
Did he need to make adjustments to his offense? We finished in the top 20 in offensive efficiency his final year. Now we can't crack the top 75.

JacketFan137

Banned
Did he need to make adjustments to his offense? We finished in the top 20 in offensive efficiency his final year. Now we can't crack the top 75.
johnson's offense was great at handling bad teams. we looked absolutely lost whenever we got matched up against a good team or a physical team like clemson, uga and others

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
johnson's offense was great at handling bad teams. we looked absolutely lost whenever we got matched up against a good team or a physical team like clemson, uga and others
Who doesn't against those squads? :cool:

I've always wondered what our ceiling would have been if we had run that offense with better recruits. We'll never know, but it's understandable that the kids with a shot at playing on Sundays want to go where they get prepped for the next level.

JacketFan137

Banned

I've always wondered what our ceiling would have been if we had run that offense with better recruits. We'll never know, but it's understandable that the kids with a shot at playing on Sundays want to go where they get prepped for the next level.
we got to see 2008/2009 and they were fantastic. i dont think we are likely to see something like that again. it was a perfect combination of players buying in and being unselfish with talent. now a big school would never hire a guy like paul johnson and with the transfer rules all of that talent will leave.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer

Just look at what he did at Ga Southern when he had equal to or better talent that everyone he played.

JacketFan137

Banned
So should we judge our current offense going forward based on how well they perform against UGA and Clemson?
again, people seem to struggle with this concept and i dont know how to explain it any more clearly. just because the team is bad right now doesn't mean it was wrong to move on from johnson. we just hired the wrong guy from what we've seen so far. i don't know why some of you guys can't grasp that concept

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
again, people seem to struggle with this concept and i dont know how to explain it any more clearly. just because the team is bad right now doesn't mean it was wrong to move on from johnson. we just hired the wrong guy from what we've seen so far. i don't know why some of you guys can't grasp that concept
I was actually in favor of moving on from Johnson. Mostly because I felt the fan base had grown stagnant and it was showing in attendance. Its hard to coach in one location that long unless you are winning 10+ games a year regularly. We needed a different direction to build hope and interest. However, there really isn't a need to rewrite history here. We were a very competitive team in 2018 with a very good offense.

JacketFan137

Banned
I was actually in favor of moving on from Johnson. Mostly because I felt the fan base had grown stagnant and it was showing in attendance. Its hard to coach in one location that long unless you are winning 10+ games a year regularly. We needed a different direction to build hope and interest. However, there really isn't a need to rewrite history here. We were a very competitive team in 2018 with a very good offense.
eh i dont know if id say we were really competitive. we were competitive with middle of the road ACC teams and then got absolutely pasted by UGA, clemson and minnesota and we finished 7-6. we also lost to a middle of the road USF team that was really one of the back breaking losses that began the end of the johnson era. that team wasn't bad but i think it was clear the peak was behind us and it was time to move forward.

JacketFan137

Banned
As we do now.
again, our deficiencies today doesnt mean that we were amazing before. since 2014 paul was getting beat like a drum by clemson. he got kirby one year then his offense was completely ineffective after. at some point youre better off trying to do something different than just getting the same results year after year. this is why gailey was fired lol

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
eh i dont know if id say we were really competitive. we were competitive with middle of the road ACC teams and then got absolutely pasted by UGA, clemson and minnesota and we finished 7-6. we also lost to a middle of the road USF team that was really one of the back breaking losses that began the end of the johnson era. that team wasn't bad but i think it was clear the peak was behind us and it was time to move forward.
I agree about the USF game. They took two KO returns to the house and when we tried to bring the house their QB made us pay for it.

JacketFan137

Banned
I agree about the USF game. They took two KO returns to the house and when we tried to bring the house their QB made us pay for it.
i think after losing harrison butker our kickoff team had the "OH S__T" moment when they learned teams could return the kickoff when it was not blasted into the endzone 😂

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I was actually in favor of moving on from Johnson. Mostly because I felt the fan base had grown stagnant and it was showing in attendance.
I'd hate to see the attendance numbers. We're down about 10% since Collins took over. It must be quite a revenue hit.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What exactly are your true baseline expectations for GT? If winning 7 games and finishing 2nd in the coastal isn't even deemed competitive in your eyes then what is? Are you expecting 10+ wins a year and close games against UGA and Clemson all of the time?

JacketFan137

Banned
What exactly are your true baseline expectations for GT? If winning 7 games and finishing 2nd in the coastal isn't even deemed competitive in your eyes then what is? Are you expecting 10+ wins a year and close games against UGA and Clemson all of the time?
look competitive in all games. don’t lose ro g5 teams. win the coastal almost every year

the division is for the most part bad to mediocre and we blew it quite a few times losing stupid games

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer

And yet CPJs teams would be at the line of scrimmage a good 6-8 seconds sooner than last year’s team. They can send plays in by smoke signals or telegraph for all I care, just don’t get to the line of scrimmage with no time for an audible or, even worse, have to call a time out or receive a delay of game penalty (which quite often was followed with another penalty like a false start).

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don't think many thought it was bad to move on after CPJ ( maybe 5%) but he retied we had to move on. And When CGC was named Head Coach again 95% of the fan base was ok. But after 3 years of him making the same mistakes, I would guess of those 95% 50% of them just want to move on to another head coach. Maybe if someone (AD) did talk to him it will help. But he better hope the defense is a lot better early in the year keeping the same DC who has not shown much.