Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Eli

Helluva Engineer
So the NFL, NHL, NCAA, MLB, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, FIFA, NPB, KBO, etc. are all not reasonable governing entities? Because last I checked they all counted 2020 as a real year. And those are just sports organizations. Plenty of other organizations outside of sports 2020 was a 'real year.' Not sure what planet you're living on here.

Was the stock market shut down all of 2020? Ha

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
yeah i agree coaching is ultimately a determining factor here. I am very excited about the talent coming in and everyone should be. at the very least if collins gets fired there should be a decent roster left behind. i will choose to be happy about some of the things collins does well rather than be another toxic complainer like some of the users on here that i think want collins to be bad so they can prove their point lol
Honestly, if you go back and look at the posts of the ones you're talking about from a couple of years ago (including me), you'll find that we were trying to be optimistic. But after three years of ineptitude, it shouldn't be any surprise that patience has run out. He isn't bad because anyone wants him to be - he just is.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, if you go back and look at the posts of the ones you're talking about from a couple of years ago (including me), you'll find that we were trying to be optimistic. But after three years of ineptitude, it shouldn't be any surprise that patience has run out. He isn't bad because anyone wants him to be - he just is.

Honestly me and my friend went to fan day when he was hired. My friend said to Collins. “We believe in you bro and believe in what you’re trying to do.” Collins face turned to a ghost and I’ve been skeptical of him ever since.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
O'Leary/Friedgen had 5 consecutive AP top 25 finishes and 3 consecutive wins over uga. What unique system did they have? Johnson and his unique system produced a .500 FBS record over a 9 year period. He didn't have 5 top 25 finishes in his 11 years, and it took him 11 years to beat uga 3 times. Johnson won when he had talent (2008, 2009, 2014--when he got lucky to have Mason and JT on the same team) and was mediocre or worse when he didn't. Talent trumps scheme. Johnson's record proves it. Yet, people want to fire Collins before he gets talent in here.
O'Leary and CPJ were sharp and crisp during every game (even in losing)...I did not sense the in game coaching advantage these past three years, which was/ is disturbing and warrants concern...

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
So the NFL, NHL, NCAA, MLB, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, FIFA, NPB, KBO, etc. are all not reasonable governing entities? Because last I checked they all counted 2020 as a real year. And those are just sports organizations. For plenty of other organizations outside of sports 2020 was a 'real year.' Not sure what planet you're living on here.
The NCAA did not count 2020 as a normal year. That is why they gave the SAs a "Do over". But I understand that you choose to ignore that which doesn't fit your narrative.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There is a s less margin for missing on recruits in certain positions so depth and sustained success in recruiting is important.
This is why I like system offenses. If you recruit for particular roles instead of particular players, you are much less likely to make mistakes that leave you stranded. My favorite example = Robert Godhigh. Almost nobody recruited him except Tech, despite sterling HS creds. And we got every bit of what we expected and then some.

This doesn't have to be with a spread option either. The Carney brothers up at Wake are another example. Cade was a terror to opposing Ds for his whole time at Wake and his brother will be too. They were suited to the slow mesh RPO that Wake uses and they succeeded.

You lose this advantage when you try to do the same thing as everyone else, you know.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA did not count 2020 as a normal year. That is why they gave the SAs a "Do over". But I understand that you choose to ignore that which doesn't fit your narrative.
Your statement was “no reasonable entity counts 2020 as a normal year.” So maybe you should clarify “reasonable entity”. You did not say “the ncaa does not count 2020.” Which in fact they did “count” 2020 because last I checked all of the teams who won conference and ncaa championships did not vacate or count those wins.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
i think that the balance of the recruiting is important like you mentioned. it seems like most of our high rated recruits have been skill guys and that can only take you so far if your o line is this deficient. the depth is also heavily addressed by consistently recruiting better. this will fall on deaf ears though based on what some guys in this thread want to believe
It’s not that others disagree in principle, it’s just that a lot of the CPJ recruits turned out to be better than their star ranking. CPJ’s lines, except for the years we had devastating injuries, were fully capable of being competitive. I firmly believe that one of the reasons Mark Richt was let go was the uga announcers saying (direct quote here) “Tech’s offensive line makes our defense look like they are playing on roller skates.” Most uga fans heard that play by play and it was one more reason they soured on him.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
In yesterday’s article about the addition of Coach Semore to coach linebackers, the article says this “rounds out” the staff and allows Defensive Coordinator Thacker the ability to focus on developing Tech’s defensive game plans and supervising the defensive coaches. Does this seriously mean that Thacker is still in charge of the defense?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
In yesterday’s article about the addition of Coach Semore to coach linebackers, the article says this “rounds out” the staff and allows Defensive Coordinator Thacker the ability to focus on developing Tech’s defensive game plans and supervising the defensive coaches. Does this seriously mean that Thacker is still in charge of the defense?
That's the only reasonable interpretation.
What I'm wondering is what "new leadership on both sides of the ball" means. I guess for the defense it means a couple of position coaches.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Our 13 man December signing class had 8 men rated 4 stars by at least one service. 247 has us ranked 10th in 2022 transfer portal commits. We have a new OC who has coached at the highest levels. There is much to be positive about.

Yet I see so much negativity from so called fans. The public negativity is certainly not helping the program and is likely hurting it.

If you are a true Tech fan, STOP IT. If you want to be negative, take it to private messages and commiserate with your fellow downers. Take it to Dawg Rant. But stop believing you are a fan while damaging the program. That's not what fans do.

We need to stop bumping the Fire Geoff Collins thread to the top--and I have been guilty of that too. Let's make our New Years resolution one of supporting the program, not tearing it down.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Our 13 man December signing class had 8 men rated 4 stars by at least one service. 247 has us ranked 10th in 2022 transfer portal commits. We have a new OC who has coached at the highest levels. There is much to be positive about.

Yet I see so much negativity from so called fans. The public negativity is certainly not helping the program and is likely hurting it.

If you are a true Tech fan, STOP IT. If you want to be negative, take it to private messages and commiserate with your fellow downers. Take it to Dawg Rant. But stop believing you are a fan while damaging the program. That's not what fans do.

We need to stop bumping the Fire Geoff Collins thread to the top--and I have been guilty of that too. Let's make our New Years resolution one of supporting the program, not tearing it down.
I've been positive about the recruiting and negative about the coaching, because that's what each merits, IMO.

We're fans, not cheerleaders.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow

This man has his mind rite.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Guys, I just warned a poster and recycled a few posts that referred to the offending post. Let's keep the discussion about the thread topic and not each other. Thanks.