Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think any of this matters until next year. My concern is that we could have a decent year and still get curb stomped by Clemson and the Dwags. What then?
There’s curb stomping and then there’s curb stomping. We could get soundly beaten by a team that is superior athletically and still look like we know what we are doing. That’s different from playing a game in which we have zero highlights for our team. It’s that last case that I think we cannot tolerate for another year.

JacketFan137

Banned
Remember when winning 7-9 games and beating UGA was considered mediocre, and proof that our coach couldn’t coach at the P5 level? Ah the good ole days.
collins has been bad but i think people need to get over johnson and face the reality that the program was absolutely a sinking ship that could no longer compete with good teams. particularly teams with size and speed.

like i’ve said before collins being bad doesn’t mean those paul johnson teams were good at the end. the game had passed his system and roster.

it was time to move forward but we probably should have had a different guy come replace him. both can be true

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It won't be long. We've beaten them before, and we shall again.
Had a great chance to beat Clemson this year. Bad play calls near the goal line. The 4th down play was a good call but their LB either read the play and didn't bite on the flow to the left or just got lucky to be where he shouldn't have been. The first 3 plays were garbage. This may be it for a while beating them. Bad QB play there gave us a chance. Lots of missed opportunities so far under Collins.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
There’s curb stomping and then there’s curb stomping. We could get soundly beaten by a team that is superior athletically and still look like we know what we are doing. That’s different from playing a game in which we have zero highlights for our team. It’s that last case that I think we cannot tolerate for another year.
Kennesaw State played us tougher than we played ND or uga

JacketFan137

Banned
Kennesaw State played us tougher than we played ND or uga
to be fair we also had our backup qb in all three of those games. yates lack of athleticism and arm strength was just highlighted tremendously against more physical defenses since he couldn’t even threaten 10 yards down field

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Then, we petition the conference to end its absurd insistence that Clemson is a rival. People thought the world was coming to an end when we dropped Auburn. <Yawn>

Personally, I couldn't care less about whether we ever play Clemson again or not, and I'd rather not see an automatic L on our schedule every year.

(Same with Georgia, but I begrudgingly concede that's different.)
The current ACC division alignment and schedule was booked through 2024 (3 more years). There has been no discussion what happens in 2025 and beyond. Personally if they are going to stay with 8 conference games, I would prefer to play division opponents and 2 rotating games with other division. That would mean you would play every conference team at a minimum every 4 years versus the 6 years it takes now with cross division opponents. It will be interesting to see what they do now that the ACC commissioner is not tied to North Carolina. Since the dream of FSU and Miami meeting every year in the ACC championship hasn't quite played out...understatement... there may be more consideration to mix things up.

JacketFan137

Banned
The current ACC division alignment and schedule was booked through 2024 (3 more years). There has been no discussion what happens in 2025 and beyond. Personally if they are going to stay with 8 conference games, I would prefer to play division opponents and 2 rotating games with other division. That would mean you would play every conference team at a minimum every 4 years versus the 6 years it takes now with cross division opponents. It will be interesting to see what they do now that the ACC commissioner is not tied to North Carolina. Since the dream of FSU and Miami meeting every year in the ACC championship hasn't quite played out...understatement... there may be more consideration to mix things up.
with texas and oklahoma leaving the big 12 i’m sure there’s gonna be some fall out in the form of teams joining other conferences. would not be surprised to see someone like WVU join and then we look to add another g5 team or something in the mix to balance it out

the texas oklahoma fallout is gonna rock college football as the big 12 likely implodes

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
with texas and oklahoma leaving the big 12 i’m sure there’s gonna be some fall out in the form of teams joining other conferences. would not be surprised to see someone like WVU join and then we look to add another g5 team or something in the mix to balance it out

the texas oklahoma fallout is gonna rock college football as the big 12 likely implodes
You might want to verify your source for the Big 12 implosion. They added the Cincinnati Bearcats, UCF Knights and Houston Cougars from the American Athletic Conference in September, as well as independent BYU. The question is whether that is a P5 conference once Texas and OU leave.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You might want to verify your source for the Big 12 implosion. They added the Cincinnati Bearcats, UCF Knights and Houston Cougars from the American Athletic Conference in September, as well as independent BYU. The question is whether that is a P5 conference once Texas and OU leave.
It certainly is. They would have had numerous top 20 teams this year.

Ok State and Baylor won major bowls.

UCF and Houston beat SEC teams.

I think the Big 12 got more interesting.

JacketFan137

Banned

money talks and oklahoma and texas are the biggest money makers and draw in the conference by far. i would not be surprised to see more teams jumping ship and following suit.

a lot could happen

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Not to mention they have the reigning national champion in basketball, who is also number one in the country now along with two other top 10 teams. If we are being honest, from a competitive perspective, the Big 12 is the third best conference even without Texas and Oklahoma.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Not to mention they have the reigning national champion in basketball, who is also number one in the country now along with two other top 10 teams. If we are being honest, from a competitive perspective, the Big 12 is the third best conference even without Texas and Oklahoma.
I agree. Losing Texas means nothing from a competitive standpoint. Big name? Certainly. But they have been mediocre for a while.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
the game had passed CPJ, and he was no longer cut out to be a P5 coach.
Presented without comment:

Tale of the tape:

Now, you were saying … ?

Update: This was Paul's late revenge for VanGorder dissing the spread option when he had his disastrous year as head coach at GSU. I would have given a lot to be inside Paul's head as we scored our 66th point; no mercy at all.

Last edited:

JacketFan137

Banned
Presented without comment:

Tale of the tape:

Now, you were saying … ?

brother that louisville team won 2 games that year. one was indiana state and the other was western kentucky who went 3-9 lol

they probably gave up 60 points per game in the acc and went 0-8. they were literally worse than any team geoff collins has coached. what i said may be too harsh and even incorrect but this is hardly the game to use to dispute what i’ve said

how about you post the drubbings that uga and clemson gave us, as well as the minnesota bowl game where we were well and truly finished.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
collins has been bad but i think people need to get over johnson and face the reality that the program was absolutely a sinking ship that could no longer compete with good teams. particularly teams with size and speed.

like i’ve said before collins being bad doesn’t mean those paul johnson teams were good at the end. the game had passed his system and roster.

it was time to move forward but we probably should have had a different guy come replace him. both can be true
Complete garbage post. Nothing but a lot of confirmation bias. A tweaked version of the spread option can still be viable. Probably just needed to be tweaked to an RPO version under gun with a mixture of under center. All of the concepts are still used today even in the NFL to great success