Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
COVID only applies in sports that we were terrible at. I don’t see anyone wanting to give back the acc title in basketball
I kinda disagree with this. We all know that UVA dropping out of the ACC Tournament due to COVID was a huge boost to our men winning the championship. We were not the only school with COVID problems in 2020 and it's still with us. But that is not letting Collins off the hook.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Our 13 man December signing class had 8 men rated 4 stars by at least one service. 247 has us ranked 10th in 2022 transfer portal commits. We have a new OC who has coached at the highest levels. There is much to be positive about.

Yet I see so much negativity from so called fans. The public negativity is certainly not helping the program and is likely hurting it.

If you are a true Tech fan, STOP IT. If you want to be negative, take it to private messages and commiserate with your fellow downers. Take it to Dawg Rant. But stop believing you are a fan while damaging the program. That's not what fans do.

We need to stop bumping the Fire Geoff Collins thread to the top--and I have been guilty of that too. Let's make our New Years resolution one of supporting the program, not tearing it down.
I fully support the Tech program. My experience with fans bashing Tech coaches goes all the way back to Carson. I didn’t like it then and I didn’t like it with Rodgers or Ross either. Perhaps the worst I saw in terms of running down a program was against CPJ when he was getting whacked even when he won games. The fact that people still bash him is heartbreaking to me.

So, yes, by all means let’s be positive in the new year. Just keep in mind that legitimate criticism is not the same as negativity for the sake of negativity (as with Johnson) and simply questioning why public statements with regard to coaching changes are contradictory is a legitimate line of inquiry.

Happy New Year!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
In yesterday’s article about the addition of Coach Semore to coach linebackers, the article says this “rounds out” the staff and allows Defensive Coordinator Thacker the ability to focus on developing Tech’s defensive game plans and supervising the defensive coaches. Does this seriously mean that Thacker is still in charge of the defense?
YES, sadly, it does.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Our 13 man December signing class had 8 men rated 4 stars by at least one service. 247 has us ranked 10th in 2022 transfer portal commits. We have a new OC who has coached at the highest levels. There is much to be positive about.

Yet I see so much negativity from so called fans. The public negativity is certainly not helping the program and is likely hurting it.

If you are a true Tech fan, STOP IT. If you want to be negative, take it to private messages and commiserate with your fellow downers. Take it to Dawg Rant. But stop believing you are a fan while damaging the program. That's not what fans do.

We need to stop bumping the Fire Geoff Collins thread to the top--and I have been guilty of that too. Let's make our New Years resolution one of supporting the program, not tearing it down.
It’s really not hard to find a multitude of negative posts from you about CPJ towards the end of his tenure. Can we assume that you regret hurting the program at that time and now you are trying to help others avoid making the same mistakes that you made?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
My only disagreement with your statement is placing blame for these 3 lousy years on CPJ. Those results are squarely and solely on Collins’ resume.
I’m sorry we will have be in strong disagreement here. Nobody was going to come in here and win at the pace Johnson was with a different system. And remember, we went the last almost 4 full seasons of Johnson’s tenure unbranked. That is territory our program hadn’t seen since the early 80’s.

JacketFan137

Banned
I’m sorry we will have be in strong disagreement here. Nobody was going to come in here and win at the pace Johnson was with a different system. And remember, we went the last almost 4 full seasons of Johnson’s tenure unbranked. That is territory our program hadn’t seen since the early 80’s.
the people on this subreddit have a very difficult time rationalizing the idea that it was time to move on from CPJ and collins was a bad hire. people wanna act like its one or the other. the game had passed CPJ, and he was no longer cut out to be a P5 coach. at the same time collins was not ready for a P5 job. collins being bad doesnt erase the fact the last few johnson teams were mediocre at best and he left a terrible roster. that being said the losses to citadel, syracuse, and quite a few others were inexcusable

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

This is absolutely hilarious!! You of all people telling us to not talk negatively about the program.

Please reference the link below that shows how you spoke of the program prior to CGC:

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think any of this matters until next year. My concern is that we could have a decent year and still get curb stomped by Clemson and the Dwags. What then?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think any of this matters until next year. My concern is that we could have a decent year and still get curb stomped by Clemson and the Dwags. What then?
Then, we petition the conference to end its absurd insistence that Clemson is a rival. People thought the world was coming to an end when we dropped Auburn. <Yawn>

Personally, I couldn't care less about whether we ever play Clemson again or not, and I'd rather not see an automatic L on our schedule every year.

(Same with Georgia, but I begrudgingly concede that's different.)

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Then, we petition the conference to end its absurd insistence that Clemson is a rival. People thought the world was coming to an end when we dropped Auburn. <Yawn>

Personally, I couldn't care less about whether we ever play Clemson again or not, and I'd rather not see an automatic L on our schedule every year.

Those are the 2 biggest $ games for GT though (due to visitor attendance)need to keep those

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Why does it matter if we run the option? You’re also wrong that no P5 team has ran that offense. Which shows your lack of knowledge of the game (no disrespect) Gus Malzahn ran the 3-0 out of the gun. The principles were the exact same when he had Marshall at QB. Also rewatch West Virginia in the Pat White years. Guy never threw for over 2,000 yards and the year they beat UGA in the Sugar Bowl had the same offensive numbers as Josh Nesbit. WVU ran a lot of two back sets and would run the dive out of the gun with Owen Schimtt as the lead blocker
Triple Option is not an offense. Saying one play Auburn ran is comparable to Techs flexbone is laughable. Marshall threw for 1900 and then 2400 yards im almost certain without even looking we never had anyone close to that with our Flexbone.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Triple Option is not an offense. Saying one play Auburn ran is comparable to Techs flexbone is laughable. Marshall threw for 1900 and then 2400 yards im almost certain without even looking we never had anyone close to that with our Flexbone.
You need to look at more than just passing yards lol.

Also if you were to look up Justin Thomas' s numbers you may be surprised. I think you should have looked before you leapt.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Defeatist. Next time we beat them, I'll remember this post.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
the people on this subreddit have a very difficult time rationalizing the idea that it was time to move on from CPJ and collins was a bad hire. people wanna act like its one or the other. the game had passed CPJ, and he was no longer cut out to be a P5 coach. at the same time collins was not ready for a P5 job. collins being bad doesnt erase the fact the last few johnson teams were mediocre at best and he left a terrible roster. that being said the losses to citadel, syracuse, and quite a few others were inexcusable
Remember when winning 7-9 games and beating UGA was considered mediocre, and proof that our coach couldn’t coach at the P5 level? Ah the good ole days.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of how Collins tenure finishes Techs track record of hiring coaches is pretty solid. I don’t think Collins tenure will effect the next coach.