Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Sure it is sad, but Nick Saban lost a player named Alvin Kamara. It is one player.
Yeah, I thought more about it and feel like we could easily get better even without him since we were so bad to begin with. But my point was more along the lines of the rationale…if we were keeping Collins to preserve talent, then what do you do when your best talents dips out? I.e. it sort of kills the argument.

My stance is that I don’t think we will succeed under Collins. I think he’s a terrible game day coach that puts too much emphasis on talent and not enough emphasis on preparation, scheme, and tactics. So if we have the funds to move on I’d rather do it now than spend money on one year coordinators then fire everyone and start over next year.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. Problem is that as good as Jamyhr is we did a piss poor job of utilizing him. We never really put him in a position to succeed, but instead just relied on his natural ability to create huge plays. If we bring in a better OC we could be much better on offense even without him.
Just tip of iceberg I’m afraid, bke. And, even before that, CGC proved he was terrible.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Just tip of iceberg, bke.
Probably, but still…We were flat out terrible on offense and the stat rankings support it. So who’s to say you can’t do better with a bunch of different guys and another coordinator? I mean basically we just have to be better than the 90th best offense in the country…

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Probably, but still…We were flat out terrible on offense and the stat rankings support it. So who’s to say you can’t do better with a bunch of different guys and another coordinator? I mean basically we just have to be better than the 90th best offense in the country…
That last sentence is really sad. I guess we just have to be better than 117th on D?

CGC will not lead us there. This is melting down quickly.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Moving to the SEC is probably the reason the OU coach bailed on them. Much better chance to make the playoffs in the PAC10. The NCAA has created a monster with opening things up with NIL and transfers. It's totally semi pro ball now. Probably has been for a while now but really blatant now.
Maybe time to reorg into a more scholastic set of conferences and forget trying to compete with the big universities that are all about football revenue.
We are paying losing football coaches more than CEO's of major corporations. It's gotten crazy.
Was thinking about that but afraid to mention it here. Not that any of these teams would agree but ideally how about: GaTech, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Duke, Tulane, TCU, Northwestern, some ACC teams like NC but they're doing ok in the ACC. Competing against Clemson, GA, in the era of CF playoffs and NIL is banging our heads against the wall

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So, does that mean that everyone that Bear Bryant, Bobby Dodd, Robert Neyland lost to were better coaches than them?
Not at all. Those coaches ran extremely successful programs for numerous years. I doubt there were very many coaches whose winning percentage was .257 were undefeated or .500 against those coaches too.
Nobody in the group of newly hired ACC coaches has done anything to prove themselves as being good coaches, at least since joining the ACC. Losing to Geoff Collins drives that point home further. Yet many of those guys were at least considered on this board for the Tech job and many people believe Tech would be in a better position with one of those guys. I’m not so sure that’s true. Especially considering most if not all of those coaches are making more money than CGC

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
if we were keeping Collins to preserve talent, then what do you do when your best talents dips out? I.e. it sort of kills the argument.

We aren't keeping Collins to preserve talent. We're keeping him because his contract makes it absolutely stupid to make the change this year. I don't care if there are reports that we have the money to fire him. Leaked nonsense like that is almost certainly misleading as firing him isn't the concern. Having the money to hire a quality replacement it. Look at the recent major hires we've made. When was the last time we actually opened up the wallet so to speak? But we're suddenly going to do what, shell out 7 mil+ a year to get rid of Collins and be competitive in the HC market? Okay. Believe that if you want.

If we fired Collins this year we'd almost be guaranteed to end up with the football equivalent of Brian Gregory and instead of putting up with Collins for one more year we'd be putting up with whatever bargain bin hire we would make for 4 years and the relief of moving on would last all of about the time the announcement of the new hire took to read.

GTBlaze

Banned
It’s kind of annoying that people are upset with SEASON TICKET HOLDERS who don’t want to waste their Saturdays watching garbage football.

I know several people who have been season ticket holders for years and they all had zero desire to go waste a Saturday watching this circus on the football field.

After working your *** of X hours / week.. why waste a day off watching a garbage football game in person?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It’s kind of annoying that people are upset with SEASON TICKET HOLDERS who don’t want to waste their Saturdays watching garbage football.

I know several people who have been season ticket holders for years and they all had zero desire to go waste a Saturday watching this circus on the football field.

After working your *** of X hours / week.. why waste a day off watching a garbage football game in person?
... At please say you're supporting Georgia Tech by buying season tickets.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Now we are throwing pennies in a well...hire new coordinators that will most likely be gone in a year, watch some of our better players hit the transfer portal, keep Collins around another year for more pain. It’s better to punt here and start over, you can’t bandaid the mess right now. Let’s move forward and quit sinking in quicksand. TStan needs to admit he made a mistake and move on.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We aren't keeping Collins to preserve talent. We're keeping him because his contract makes it absolutely stupid to make the change this year. I don't care if there are reports that we have the money to fire him. Leaked nonsense like that is almost certainly misleading as firing him isn't the concern. Having the money to hire a quality replacement it. Look at the recent major hires we've made. When was the last time we actually opened up the wallet so to speak? But we're suddenly going to do what, shell out 7 mil+ a year to get rid of Collins and be competitive in the HC market? Okay. Believe that if you want.

If we fired Collins this year we'd almost be guaranteed to end up with the football equivalent of Brian Gregory and instead of putting up with Collins for one more year we'd be putting up with whatever bargain bin hire we would make for 4 years and the relief of moving on would last all of about the time the announcement of the new hire took to read.
If Collins had any class at all he would look at his record, work out an equitable separation agreement, and quit. Oh, yeah, That was Johnson.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I thought more about it and feel like we could easily get better even without him since we were so bad to begin with. But my point was more along the lines of the rationale…if we were keeping Collins to preserve talent, then what do you do when your best talents dips out? I.e. it sort of kills the argument.

My stance is that I don’t think we will succeed under Collins. I think he’s a terrible game day coach that puts too much emphasis on talent and not enough emphasis on preparation, scheme, and tactics. So if we have the funds to move on I’d rather do it now than spend money on one year coordinators then fire everyone and start over next year.
You may very well be correct. My point is players come and go. People make mistakes. Hopefully we are seeing some hard lessons and the maturation of GC. Big time football isn’t all lighthearted fun and games. It’s hard work with 90% disappointment. It is a tough disciplined lifestyle that not many weather well. Combine that with GT academic discipline that is required “to get out of Georgia Tech”. If you survive, you will be branded AND carry the aura of a Winner. I hope GC succeeds. This program needs for him to succeed. The program will survive either way. The question is do we try to succeed now or do we put it off for another 5, 6, or 10 years from now?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We will be better next year. Why? It’s statistically impossible to be worse. Sure, we lost Gibbs. And we may lose others. I don’t know. What I do know is that anyone would be an improvement over our last OC and DC. And our OLine play can’t be worse. And our QB play can’t be worse. And our defense can’t be worse. Look at the numbers. We will be better next season. Our coach will still be let go because he is a lame duck, but as a football team we’ll be better.

Jmonty71

Banned
I am seeing a HC and AD that have completely lost their fan base. Well, most of it. Sad part is, they don't care. The only time that they will recognize is when it hits their pockets. Collins has an ego larger than CPJ's ever was. He is selling crap and people are buying that crap. Sooner or later, people figure out its crap. Those that think Collins still has control of this team, I apologize for you being slow. I have no desire to spend money to support a program that doesn't care to support us.