Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'm pissed that Gibbs is leaving, but is no one forgetting that Gibbs would have never come here if it were not for Collins himself ?
So those saying fire Collins still, name another coach that could get us these recruits.
I'm more upset at Collins for not retaining the talent be got, but not upset that he got the talent here
Pretty obvious, but it doesn’t do any good to get them if they leave because you can’t win with them

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Just thought about this little nugget. Geoff Collins has a winning record against ACC coaches hired in 2019 or 2020

1-0 vs. Scott Satterfield
1-0 vs. Mike Norvell
1-1 vs. Mack Brown
1-1 vs. Manny Diaz
0-1 vs. Jeff Hafley
4-3 overall

So as bad as it is now it could still be a lot worse. I still don’t think were very many real candidates who could’ve took over in 2019 and done a whole helluva lot better in years 1 and 2, but I do think there were a few that would’ve won more than 3 games this year.
He's definitely 0-2 vs Hafley

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just thought about this little nugget. Geoff Collins has a .500 record against ACC coaches hired in 2019 or 2020

1-0 vs. Scott Satterfield
1-0 vs. Mike Norvell
1-1 vs. Mack Brown
1-1 vs. Manny Diaz
0-2 vs. Jeff Hafley
4-3 overall

So as bad as it is now it could still be a lot worse. I still don’t think were very many real candidates who could’ve took over in 2019 and done a whole helluva lot better in years 1 and 2, but I do think there were a few that would’ve won more than 3 games this year.
How much worse could it be? I'd take any of those coaches over Collins, even if we did win a game here or there against them.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Any good jokes about how stupid uga grads are? How bout.

Their football program costs 160,000,000 $ per year while ours only costs 28,000,000$ per year and we both have same number of players and coaches. Also our games are not crowded and seats don't cost much. They may be happy overspending but we milionarie tech men are going to give less till we are winning. If we can give a little less, we will be at the very bottom of acc revenue. We are one away.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I think you’re right: Choice, not Collins, was the reason Gibbs chose Tech.

If, big IF, Collins can make it through the off season and to next season and we start off 1-4 or something like that and Stansbury has to cut bait because no one is showing up to the games, I'd make Choice interim head coach. He likely isn't ready for the real job on a full time basis, but with some seasoning, he could actually be our Dabo. Passionate about the program and school. Cares about his players, played the game at the highest levels. He is a real salesman, not a used car salesman like Collins. I think a lot of people would pay to watch a team that played with the heart and passion that TC did. And bring back that sledge hammer!!

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you’re right: Choice, not Collins, was the reason Gibbs chose Tech.
I’m pretty pissed at Collins now with Gibbs gone, but we can’t act like all the hires and bad things lay at his feet and not credit him with good things.

Yes CTC was the main reason Gibbs came here. Who hired CTC?

Collins has been a terrible coach, but if nothing else, he’s changed the perception of how GT can recruit.

About the only good thing Collins has done since he’s been here is recruit. The roster looks a lot of different now than it has in a long time.

If he could coach halfway as well as he recruited we would’ve won 8 games this year.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
If, big IF, Collins can make it through the off season and to next season and we start off 1-4 or something like that and Stansbury has to cut bait because no one is showing up to the games, I'd make Choice interim head coach. He likely isn't ready for the real job on a full time basis, but with some seasoning, he could actually be our Dabo. Passionate about the program and school. Cares about his players, played the game at the highest levels. He is a real salesman, not a used car salesman like Collins. I think a lot of people would pay to watch a team that played with the heart and passion that TC did. And bring back that sledge hammer!!
I mentioned this earlier. I’d do it now. Might be enough to convince Gibbs to stay.

I can imagine other coaches wanting to coach under CTC as well and you know the players would want to go to battle for him.

Do this and open up the piggy bank for Choice to hire some good assistants and we might make some noise in the ACC next year

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So, now that the fan base has lost all confidence in CGC, do we go back to giving Gif Smith credit for the 2007 class like we used to, or is CGC still the master recruiter who pulled the levers behind the scenes? Asking for a friend...

Lol Truth is Collins is a good recruiter, he's a salesmen, he sold people on being a good coach. Its jsut this time around he had to actually back that up and we have 5 years of HC to show that he infact can't.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
So if you are a remaining good player and see Gibbs leave, I've got to think you're thinking about leaving. What is the straw that breaks the used car salesman's back? Sims? Charlie Thomas? Trying to think of someone else who would be a big enough name to have some pull if they left? Is it just numbers? 10 players leave? 15? 10 decommitments? 15? What is the point where Stansbury says we can't go one more day with this guy as our head coach?
The problem seems to be Stansbury, so his response is to resign

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Just throwing this out. Nobody get mad, just take a deep breath and ponder with me.

Rankings for players are based on guesses, very good guesses as a rule but guesses none the less. Sometimes, though rarely, even a 5 star player doesn’t pan out. The only way to verify how accurate a rating was is whether there are commensurate results on the field either through position grades or winning records.

We all (myself included) repeat the mantra that CGC is a great recruiter but the results on the field (with the exception of Gibbs and a few others) do not verify nor justify the ratings to this point.

I know people will throw at me all the extenuating circumstances, none of which I doubt I haven’t already thought of, but so far we are missing the key tell-tale evidence that we are getting great recruiting. Other than the class rankings and stars by names, which have been known to be wrong.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
How much worse could it be? I'd take any of those coaches over Collins, even if we did win a game here or there against them.
My point was that everyone seems to agree that Collins isn’t a good HC, yet he beat and has a winning or .500 record against other coaches who people agree are good HCs. All I’m saying is how good can they be if Collins is beating them. Folks say Cutcliffe can coach circles around CGC, yet Cutcliffe is the only coach and team Collins has beaten twice.

My point is that I think we were in a much worse situation in 2019 than some are willing to admit, and Collins probably did as good as anyone would have given the circumstances (El Cid loss notwithstanding, but Norvell did lose to an FCS team in year 2 sooooo), but it can also be true that Collins hasn’t done a good enough job in bettering the program from where he inherited it. Being in a poor position in 2019 given the circumstances, and being in a poor position in 2021/22 don’t have to be mutually exclusive. I think Collins did his job and was “good enough” in 2019 and 2020, but what happened in 2021 certainly wasn’t good enough. I’m willing to see what happens in 2022 because I think there is still potential for a pretty major turnaround with him at the helm but we’ll have to wait and see. Gibbs leaving certainly isn’t a good omen, but if he can keep the other key players (Charlie Thomas, Quez, Sims, Blackburn, Griffin, etc.) and hold on to the recruiting class, there will still be reason to be exciting and have somewhat high expectations going into next season. Especially if we can lure an exciting OC and DC in. Time will tell, but I’m ready to put these miserable last 3 years behind and look towards the future

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
I think there’s one angle that I haven’t seen talked about yet. I feel like right now would be the worst time to fire Collins. Before anybody throws stats at me, just please follow me here. This off-season, how many of the big boy schools are looking for a head football coach? I’m going to say it’s more than an average off season. And with the state of our program, how would we sell ourselves versus all the others? I feel as though next off season would be the good time to pick up somebody, because we might be in a better spot to land somebody better.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I know people will throw at me all the extenuating circumstances, none of which I doubt I haven’t already thought of, but so far we are missing the key tell-tale evidence that we are getting great recruiting. Other than the class rankings and stars by names, which have been known to be wrong.

When something like this happens to other teams it is always said that they do less with more, or that they are wasting talent, etc etc.

You're looking at the overall picture which isn't just recruiting but also development, preparation, scheme, etc etc. All those things are important and failure in any of them can lead to overall bad outcomes, but it doesn't mean every single aspect was bad.

For instance, nobody is going to look back at our 2017 basketball class and claim it was a great recruiting job. We took two three stars with decent offer sheets and two reaches. However it produced for us an ACC PoY and ACC DpoY which is probably better than the vast majority of classes we've had. But that doesn't change the recruiting aspect of that class, it just speaks to the development of it. The opposite can be said, to a large extent, about our 2009 class. It largely underperformed given the overall standing, but nobody is going to chalk it up to a weakness in recruiting.

Collins is a better recruiter than we've had at HC in a long time and has at least shown that we don't need to buy into the "we'll never compete recruiting so why even try" arguments that we saw at times. His failures in other areas don't change that though.