Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
You may very well be correct. My point is players come and go. People make mistakes. Hopefully we are seeing some hard lessons and the maturation of GC. Big time football isn’t all lighthearted fun and games. It’s hard work with 90% disappointment. It is a tough disciplined lifestyle that not many weather well. Combine that with GT academic discipline that is required “to get out of Georgia Tech”. If you survive, you will be branded AND carry the aura of a Winner. I hope GC succeeds. This program needs for him to succeed. The program will survive either way. The question is do we try to succeed now or do we put it off for another 5, 6, or 10 years from now?
hmmmm, ao if Geoff is terminated, it may take 10 years to recover?

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Not at all. Those coaches ran extremely successful programs for numerous years. I doubt there were very many coaches whose winning percentage was .257 were undefeated or .500 against those coaches too.
Nobody in the group of newly hired ACC coaches has done anything to prove themselves as being good coaches, at least since joining the ACC. Losing to Geoff Collins drives that point home further. Yet many of those guys were at least considered on this board for the Tech job and many people believe Tech would be in a better position with one of those guys. I’m not so sure that’s true. Especially considering most if not all of those coaches are making more money than CGC
Let’s not forget that Bear almost lost his job in 1969 and 1970 and just before he did retire. The deep pocket alumni said he was out of touch and time had passed him by. Instead he secretly met with Darryl Royal to learn a new offensive system. Adaptation and willingness to admit you are fallible is key to growth. Let us hope that GC is that kind of guy. If you are afraid of being fired in any job, you will be less effective.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Bobby Dodd is going to see record low numbers next year. With much of our talent graduating and now starting to transfer, I’m not even sure if 3-9 is obtainable next year. We’re full on duke status folks.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Depends on what you're looking for. If you want to win a national championship i would say LSU is absolutely the better job
I disagree. The SEC west is murderers’ row. You can recruit at ND, keep your players healthy playing a balanced schedule, & get preference many times from playoff committee. I know he didn’t win one at ND, but it can be done. I still think at 60, the 12 million & warm weather were the biggest reasons he went.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
I disagree. The SEC west is murderers’ row. You can recruit at ND, keep your players healthy playing a balanced schedule, & get preference many times from playoff committee. I know he didn’t win one at ND, but it can be done. I still think at 60, the 12 million & warm weather were the biggest reasons he went.
Brian Kelly enjoys the challenge. While money is important, I believe that he has ”Real” competitive juices. The SEC West is off the charts.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Kelly is going to have to learn to eat possum and dance to zydeco. Hope he can handle the hot sauce.

Go Jackets!

The key idea is you really don't need to like hot sauce and possum. (I have heard of a few folks myself that don't cotton to such fixins). But, for $12 MM, you need to learn how to act like you like it. Even most possum haters can do that.