Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So position coaches were the problem?

Did not know they had so much responsibility for coaching during a game.
This better not be it. This is crazy, firing assistants first like they were the bigger issue than those of higher responsibility? GT alums/fans are not that stupid. I hope the powers that be don’t believe we are.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
My two cents, even though Im sure most of this has been said somewhere in this thread:

- Collins decided to space himself as far as he could from the Triple option for recruiting purposes. He was trying to get the stigma of 3O and GT football as far away as he could. Truth is that the 3O of course, as most of us know, is easy to negatively recruit against since the pros don’t run it and every player coming out of HS dreams of playing in the NFL. So everyone wants to play in the cookie cutter offenses we see in todays college/pro game.
- I don’t blame Collins for trying to distance himself from the past decade, but I don’t think his approach was the best in some of the ways he described it. It would come off at times like an insult to the previous staff and players which is why it rubbed some people the wrong way and you are now seeing fans/ex players/coaches respond to that when Collins has fallen on his face.
-despite how it came off at times, I don’t think Collins doesn’t respect Paul, and I’m sure he thinks he is a great coach, but Collins had a hard time finding a way to pave his own path while paying respect to the last staff. I think the better way he could have said things was, “Paul and his staff did incredible things here and had great success, but I have a different vision and plan for what I want to do and where the program is going and hope to have similar success as Paul and hopefully get GT football into the playoff picture etc”
-since things have gone south for 3 years, Collins has to eat all of the mess he has created for himself. He is ultra positive and ultra hype, and when there’s not a lot of positives and no hype left, not sure what he has left to do with himself.
-He needs to basically reinvent himself and how he views things. Be realistic when talking to the media, accept you need to hire people that make you better, not your buddies who kiss your butt everyday. Realize it’s ok to say “we didn’t play well, guys didn’t give the best effort, if guys are not giving 100% or can’t execute what they are coached, then I will play guys who will, etc” you don’t need to profess your love for everyone 24/7, if you really love the guys as much as you say, you don’t need to constantly say it, the players will already know that. When you say it constantly it comes off like an insecure guy who thinks his wife is always thinking about leaving him and has to reassure himself constantly or something.
-lastly, I think he has to win at least 7-8 games next year, I don’t think even 6 is going to cut it at this point, the fan base is way too far gone. He is going to have to have a monumental bounce back season to get people to respect him again.
Agree with all points

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Bravo sir for having one of the most scorching hot takes of this hundreds of pages long thread!

How should we judge CGC by your new laziness metric? Seems to me like there’s nothing lazier than not fixing simple substitution, play call timing, and secondary communication issues. But I don’t think Collins really likes golf so he’s a hard working winner.

Personally I don’t get the logical consistency of saying he’s lazy and only winning 0.500 with 3-star recruits but also not an offensive genius. We’ve seen the floor to be lower with higher rated recruits but clearly we’ve ascended to a new level of genius I can’t comprehend.

Keeping on the subject of evaluating the current coaching staff, I think realistically GT can achieve a bowl game most years, beat national championship level teams and win the ACC every couple of years when we have a senior team with a little higher talent than typical. We’ve failed to achieve that or to show positive trends in most facets of the game. That leads me to believe we need to change at least some aspect of how we’re coaching these kids.
Oops. I hit a nerve. I will cease. We are in this position because of stagnation and low goals. Last post for me.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
My perspective has changed in the last few weeks. I thought we were getting close to being OK on offense. There were a small number of missed plays that were keeping us from winning close games. But, these last two weeks of ineptitude is simply embarrassing as a Tech person. I cycle with guys from Va Tech, Penn State, Texas, and Alabama. I don't want to show up today for our weekly ride. It's bad enough that my wife gets to watch her alma mater (App State) in the Sun Belt championship game while I have to pretend to be content cheering for her team.
Hey your life is your life but don't let football ("it's a game dawg") affect your well-being. It's not worth it. We can be emotionally invested but not the point of negatively affecting your day to day decisions. Go do that bike ride and talk smack with your boys.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Oops. I hit a nerve. I will cease. We are in this position because of stagnation and low goals. Last post for me.
I have been in your position with posting before. You have strong opinions, you share them, and then get blow back. My advice- don't stop posting. It can be an uphill climb at first, but you shrug it off and keep speaking up. Some see a "newbie"( under 100 posts or so ) and they pounce.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I have been in your position with posting before. You have strong opinions, you share them, and then get blow back. My advice- don't stop posting. It can be an uphill climb at first, but you shrug it off and keep speaking up. Some see a "newbie"( under 100 posts or so ) and they pounce.

Some see a newbie and assume either troll or formerly banned font returning when all the posts are strongly opinionated hot takes...

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't trying to say that the offense isn't bad. Only that I don't put much stock in the last two games as a final confirmation of that.
I hear you, but I don’t think we needed those games as a confirmation, but more so capping off the season to normalize it compared to the past two. I.e. we haven’t really improved if you look at the overall stats/rankings.