Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There's more going on with that than has been said in public. You know that saying that goes "If he's doing that in front of us, imagine what goes on when no one is around."? If GT fans thought all of the "biggest rebuild in history" and "we had to bring in guys to fit todays game" talk was a bit much, there's a LOT worse things being said when cameras and mikes aren't around that got back to former players and coaches. It turned off some big money guys that were grateful for what CPJ did, but the big money guys that wanted to move on from CPJ lapped it up.

The problem is if you're going to trash ex coaches and players in public, and in private, you better improve on what they did. CGC and this staff are falling on their faces with the "rebuild" and the chickens are coming home to roost.
Hated to “like” this but you have named the biggest fear I have had since CGC started his first season by lining up in the flexbone in the spring game and then breaking it to throw a pre-planned completion to a tight end. The theatrics seemed over the top, at best, but suggested a much deeper level of hostility and derision under the surface.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I know it's not likely. But I really hope Tstan and Collins understand how upset the fan base is right now, and hope that comes into any decisions today. Yes we need to ensure our recruits and current class stay in tact, but Collins really should look at how much he's tanked that fan base (one he used to be part of )
If he didn’t look at the crowd yesterday, I don’t know what to tell him.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Now I’m showing my age about my distain for the stat regarding bowl attendance. All it takes to go to a ball game is .500 record……. 50%. Paul Johnson was the laziest human alive. Go to the Cherokee driving club and see how many rounds of golf he logged in. It was astounding!!! People thought he was an offensive genius. He was actually really lazy. He didn’t wanna learn anything new. Mason is a young man that can play in any scheme. And the best PJ could do were three star players. The record for his wins and losses were as good as it would ever get under a severely outdated offense. He was a lazy, lazy man. But that is enough about a bargain era that headaches place for excuse makers saying that George tech could not compete just because they require students to actually work for a degree.
Joined nov 14 2021. Who cares how much golf he played in the offseason when they cant actually work with the kids. By this metric dodd was more lazy I doubt this person is genuine at all.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I don't read too much into those two games about the offense. My understanding is that Sims and the third string QB were unavailable. Yates looked dinged up to me in the ND game. Several times he was very slow getting up and walked as though one of his hamstrings was really tight. I noticed that a little yesterday. I heard that one of the below third string QBs is on his way out, so that would only leave a walkon practice squad player to replace him.

I am not saying there are no issues with the offense, just that the last two weeks haven't been a good indicator.
This team still has way too little quality depth. It was an issue under CPJ and it still continues. Looking at the roster, we are VERY young and have some numbers to deal with next year. But what we mostly have at this point is potential. I need to see a coaching staff that develops players to be sound fundamentally, smart and engaged in being in the right scheme, have minimal focus penalties (false starts, correct alignment, blocking assignment, etc.)
This team showed little progress during the year. The same fundamental issues were not corrected- wrap up tackling, correct pursuit angles, shedding blocks on D, maintaining blocks on O, eye discipline, finishing routes on passes, ball handling, not being able - or having the time - to go through QB progressions. EVERYONE sees these deficiencies- opposing coaches, broadcasters, most serious fans , and I would even say lots of recruits.
If you want to come to GT and play on Sundays one day, can this staff help you develop your skills to where you might get drafted, or a tryout? I have seen NO INDICATION of this in 3 years. To use an example from BB, EVERYONE can see the improvements that Eric Reveno is able to make in the big men they recruit, right ?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I don't read too much into those two games about the offense. My understanding is that Sims and the third string QB were unavailable. Yates looked dinged up to me in the ND game. Several times he was very slow getting up and walked as though one of his hamstrings was really tight. I noticed that a little yesterday. I heard that one of the below third string QBs is on his way out, so that would only leave a walkon practice squad player to replace him.

I am not saying there are no issues with the offense, just that the last two weeks haven't been a good indicator.
All games count and we are near the bottom of D1 in every important stat. The numbers don’t lie in this case. We are bad on offense.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
The silver lining for next year is that you’ll never have a better opportunity to rework your ticketing strategy and try something bold. Create a supporter’s section. Steal ideas that work elsewhere. We’ll need to.
Not sure if you are just talking specifically about the student section, but I think Tech should overhaul the ticketing strategy across the board, including season ticket priority points, etc.

I do not have season tickets at Bobby Dodd, but I do have season tickets at McCamish. I’m at every home game and and I do my best to make sure my family is with me in the rest of my seats or I try to get other Tech fans/friends in my other seats. I hate to leave my seats empty, and I really hate the idea of an opposing team’s fan sitting in my seats.

I have pretty good seats, so I’m pretty sure the rest of my row is probably held by other season ticket holders, and yet the rest of my row is usually empty for about half of our home games. The Callaway club seats (most expensive 100% season ticket holders) is usually mostly empty. At the Ga. Southern game the day before COFH hate in football, I saw a mutt fan wearing red G crap sitting in prime time seats in the Callaway club. I know 2 families that live in Rome about 1.25-1.5 hours away that have had season tickets at Alexander/McCamish for several decades, but don’t come to most games. When I watch on tv, it looks like the lower east gold seats at Bobby Dodd suffer from the same no-show season ticket holders as Callaway at McCamish.

What I am getting at here is let’s reward the loyal fans that we do have and incentivize the no-shows to actually show up.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
All games count and we are near the bottom of D1 in every important stat. The numbers don’t lie in this case. We are bad on offense.
I wasn't trying to say that the offense isn't bad. Only that I don't put much stock in the last two games as a final confirmation of that.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It’s not average now. Much more similar to your defensive assistant opportunity than you paint with this post. OC has a very easy task to get us to mediocre.

96th in scoring offense per game
92nd in total offense per game
100th in 3rd down conversion %
96th in 4th down conversion %
98th in red zone conversion % (122nd in RZ TD %)
99th in first downs per game
Those are removal numbers. We had lousy coordinators on both sides of the ball. A better D could have helped give the O more opportunities. A better O could have kept the D off the field more. We had neither. Way too many 3 and outs the last 3 years and our red zone O was bad.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
How is it possible in college football that a head coach can survive a firing
The coordinators are going to be the sacrificial lambs to appease the mob. If CGC replaces them with the best of the best, do we start winning ball games or does he still get in the way?

Well until he stops burning timeouts in the middle of 3rd quarter, we won't be winning close games🤪