Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What are the coaching issues that you think a new DC will fix? I think we have coaching issues for sure. But the kinds of issues we are having are more a result of a teaching style (ie no discipline and accountability to force discipline) than anything else. That is a culture problem. A new DC doesn’t fix that. Hope I am wrong though.
I am not a football expert, so my observations are as a fan.

First, on passing plays we are not getting pressure on the QB. Either we do not have good enough players based on physical ability or they are not skilled enough technically. Or, the defensive plays we are running are not adequate given the personnel we have. We are one of the worst teams defensively on 3rd down.

Next, our secondary is too often confused as to which DB has coverage on receivers. Either they are not making the correct reads or they are simply not good enough. Or, the defensive plays we are running are not adequate given the personnel we have. As above, we are one of the worst teams defensively on 3rd down.

But, our defense on passing plays is not limited to 3rd down. We give up a lot of 20-25 yard plays on 1st & 2nd down as well.

Except when we try to sell out on pass defense and only rush three guys, our run defense, especially on early downs, looks pretty good. So, that makes me believe we have decent athletes. Why are we failing so frequently when we know the opponent is going to pass?

Tis puzzlement.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
You thought he would go 3-9 again because you’re a fan of the option and wanted him to fail to prove a point. You also thought Whisenhunt would be a good hire. No one who has truly followed the team thought this year would end up at 3-9, and really we should’ve ended up with at least 5 wins this year, and could’ve had 7-8.
Get a life dude. I graduated in the 80s and have been a Tech fan since the 70s. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. Anyone with more than 3 working brain cells could see this coming when the guy was hired. All flash and no thunder. I would call him Bill Curry 2.0 but he is more like Bill Lewis 2.0. The ones that couldn't see this were the 3Option haters who wanted anyone in there other than Johnson.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
With so much angst on here (mine included), I thought that we could come together with a list of what it would take to EXTEND GC AFTER 2022 - not just retain him!

It is time to dream of goodness in 2022 - for a few hours at least!

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Get a life dude. I graduated in the 80s and have been a Tech fan since the 70s. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. Anyone with more than 3 working brain cells could see this coming when the guy was hired. All flash and no thunder. I would call him Bill Curry 2.0 but he is more like Bill Lewis 2.0. The ones that couldn't see this were the 3Option haters who wanted anyone in there other than Johnson.

Was just talking to someone and commented that those of us who have been around for a while (i.e. old and worked in the real world for a long time) recognized the Collins schtick immediately. Yes, the Waffle House stuff was cute and the social media stuff was better and recruiting is better than it has been. But to me, Collins always gave off (and still gives off) the vibe of repeating slogan and catch phrases but NOTHING else.

Say it how you will, in over his head, not as smart as he thinks he is, trying to pull a fast one on us, not ready for prime time, but I don't think most intelligent folks (i.e. Tech graduates and fans) have ever bought what he's selling. The stupidity of people jumping up and down on the sidelines holding signs that say "Money Down" when you can't stop anyone is just comical. I was told two years ago that "he isn't speaking to you, he's speaking to 18 year olds." Well, the reason is likely because 18 year olds are the only ones who would believe his schtick.

Finally, if any coach at Tech in a high profile position could learn the most important lesson to appeasing Tech fans it would be this, look at Bobby Cremins. After every loss, he would take the full blame and responsibility and at least say that he was going to get it fixed. He never used catch phrases or talked about how Dwayne Morrison left him in such a mess (he did, 4-23 the year before Cremins came). We are intelligent people, take the blame for how we're playing. Not that it will excuse losing, but it will at least show that you get it, there are things that are wrong and they will be addressed. Saying "elite" over and over again and "no one works harder than those guys in that locker room" and "when we won at Temple, we did XYZ." Tech people aren't that stupid.

Anyway, he better figure out some sort of contrition in the next two weeks, because we may be somewhat competitive this week, but we're likely getting boat raced at home next week, with 70% of the fans in red and black and with so many "bad fans" ( :rolleyes: ) saying they aren't renewing their tickets next year, he's walking a really fine line for his survival.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Was just talking to someone and commented that those of us who have been around for a while (i.e. old and worked in the real world for a long time) recognized the Collins schtick immediately. Yes, the Waffle House stuff was cute and the social media stuff was better and recruiting is better than it has been. But to me, Collins always gave off (and still gives off) the vibe of repeating slogan and catch phrases but NOTHING else.

Say it how you will, in over his head, not as smart as he thinks he is, trying to pull a fast one on us, not ready for prime time, but I don't think most intelligent folks (i.e. Tech graduates and fans) have ever bought what he's selling. The stupidity of people jumping up and down on the sidelines holding signs that say "Money Down" when you can't stop anyone is just comical. I was told two years ago that "he isn't speaking to you, he's speaking to 18 year olds." Well, the reason is likely because 18 year olds are the only ones who would believe his schtick.

Finally, if any coach at Tech in a high profile position could learn the most important lesson to appeasing Tech fans it would be this, look at Bobby Cremins. After every loss, he would take the full blame and responsibility and at least say that he was going to get it fixed. He never used catch phrases or talked about how Dwayne Morrison left him in such a mess (he did, 4-23 the year before Cremins came). We are intelligent people, take the blame for how we're playing. Not that it will excuse losing, but it will at least show that you get it, there are things that are wrong and they will be addressed. Saying "elite" over and over again and "no one works harder than those guys in that locker room" and "when we won at Temple, we did XYZ." Tech people aren't that stupid.

Anyway, he better figure out some sort of contrition in the next two weeks, because we may be somewhat competitive this week, but we're likely getting boat raced at home next week, with 70% of the fans in red and black and with so many "bad fans" ( :rolleyes: ) saying they aren't renewing their tickets next year, he's walking a really fine line for his survival.
Here was the bind I was in (and the bind I am still in) with CGC. Yes, in my work I learned to smell con artists a mile away. Yes, CGC raises all the con artist red flags for me. Ordinary I would have shown this guy the door ten seconds after “hello.”

But I hold out hope that this is coincidental, that people who are smarter than me, know him better than me, people who made the hire, were not simply being fooled and know that the way he comes across is not who he really is.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
ACC teams not named Clemson (or ND) ranked in the top 25 (final AP poll) at the end of the season year by year:

2020: UNC (8-4) and UM (8-3)
2019: None
2018: Syracuse (10-3)
2017: UM (10-3), VT and NC St. (9-4)
2016: FSU (10-3), VT (10-4), UM and UL (9-4)
2015: FSU (10-3) and UNC (11-3)

Currently the ACC has 3 teams in the top 25 with Wake at 9-1, Pitt at 8-2, and NC State at 7-3.

Just looking at the above information would point to both 2018 and 2019 being worse leagues.

As I mentioned in my original post, you and any others making this claim are basing it solely on Clemson not being in playoff contention.

The other teams in the league aren’t down. It’s pretty standard ACC. We just never know which teams are going to surprise. This year it’s Pitt and Wake.
You can’t figure in “except” Clemson. That is one loss for every opponent.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

Best post of the year nomination.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Here was the bind I was in (and the bind I am still in) with CGC. Yes, in my work I learned to smell con artists a mile away. Yes, CGC raises all the con artist red flags for me. Ordinary I would have shown this guy the door ten seconds after “hello.”

But I hold out hope that this is coincidental, that people who are smarter than me, know him better than me, people who made the hire, were not simply being fooled and know that the way he comes across is not who he really is.

Tough to hold out hope that the way he comes off is not who is really is at this point. Man, I really wanted him to succeed because HE WANTS TO BE HERE. That is usually half the battle at Tech. But I just don't think it's goin to work out. Hopefully some new coordinators help. Next year is win fairly big, go to a bowl game or bust.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
…and those bad fans miraculously turn into good ones!
Believe it or not, these things can turn around in a heart beat. Florida for years was derided as the worst underachieving team in the SEC. Bear Bryant famously said: "How do you expect those boys to play football with all those scantily glad girls running around?" Charley Pell was not going to put up with that losing gracefully crap. He came in, cleaned house, got boys that wanted to play ball the way he learned it under Bear Bryant and the Gators were laughed at no longer. What Geoff needs to learn is that the "pine" is a coach's best friend in dealing with players' whose abilities do not match their performance.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm just glad we're not running that high school offense any more.
A lot of us are still comparing everything to the memories we have stored of the 2014 season. Those were some gaudy offensive numbers. But the numbers this year are almost identical to the 2015, 2016, and 2017 numbers during the Johnson years. We scored a lot of points in 2018 because of two games in the 60s, but the YPG in all four of those years were very similar to this year's numbers to date.

PPG/3D%/YPG

2015 28.8/34.9/378
2016 28.2/41.6/387
2017 28.1/45.6/392
2018 45.3/43.6/409

2021 28.6/37.3/401

My whole point in this is to defend (a bit) Coach P and the assistants on the offensive side. We are not good, but these are not terrible numbers. What we lack on offense is the discipline to avoid unforced errors like penalties and bad reads and unforced turnovers. We can move the ball. To me the offense seems on track, but they are being asked to overcome a very deficient defense.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
A lot of us are still comparing everything to the memories we have stored of the 2014 season. Those were some gaudy offensive numbers. But the numbers this year are almost identical to the 2015, 2016, and 2017 numbers during the Johnson years. We scored a lot of points in 2018 because of two games in the 60s, but the YPG in all four of those years were very similar to this year's numbers to date.

PPG/3D%/YPG

2015 28.8/34.9/378
2016 28.2/41.6/387
2017 28.1/45.6/392
2018 45.3/43.6/409

2021 28.6/37.3/401

My whole point in this is to defend (a bit) Coach P and the assistants on the offensive side. We are not good, but these are not terrible numbers. What we lack on offense is the discipline to avoid unforced errors like penalties and bad reads and unforced turnovers. We can move the ball. To me the offense seems on track, but they are being asked to overcome a very deficient defense.

This has been my take as well.

GTcanWINagain

Banned

PPG/3D%/YPG

2015 28.8/34.9/378
2016 28.2/41.6/387
2017 28.1/45.6/392
2018 45.3/43.6/409

2021 28.6/37.3/401

Are you able to subtract the so-called “garbage yards” that Sims & Coach P like to collect once a game is out of reach? Take Pitt for example. I believe this would be insightful.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

PPG/3D%/YPG

2015 28.8/34.9/378
2016 28.2/41.6/387
2017 28.1/45.6/392
2018 45.3/43.6/409

2021 28.6/37.3/401

We have a lot more drives now than we used to.
Points per drive
2014: 3.37 (4)
2015: 1.84 (88)
2016: 2.57 (33)
2017: 2.19 (57)
2018: 2.88 (15)

2019: 1.3 (125)
2020: 1.86 (96)
2021: 2.08 (77)

It should be noted that PPD is increasing on average nationally. This year's performance is only better than 2015, which everyone can agree was our worst under CPJ in his final years. So despite a nearly identical PPG between 2016 and 2021, the 0.5 PPD difference is equivalent to 6 points since we average 12 drives per game this year.