Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
The staff didn’t choose to go for it on that 4th and 2 and make the game all about one play. Yet another really poor game management decision at a critical moment.
reminds me of the NIU game where he called a timeout on 4th down to bring in the offense bc the fans were booing the kick unit. Then we failed to convert. That would’ve won the game had we gotten 3 points there.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We are a lot more like Duke in football than we like to admit. I have reached the point I don't expect to win any game. At least I thought we had a better than average chance in most games before Collins. Still can't figure out how we beat UNC.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
When the fan base doesn’t expect to win anymore then that should be a red flag. We are not Duke. We are a historically winning program. Never forget that.

Go look up the history of the program.

Losing is not acceptable and this staff is a losing staff.

You want proof of coaching affects teams?

Look at GT Women’s Volleyball and Basketball. And don’t tell me those aren’t winning teams with bad coaches.

Time for heads to fly because this cannot continue.

Braves didn’t start looking like winners until Alex A came along. The leaders are the accountable ones.

The guy that drives the BMW or Mercedes to work is the guy that faces the music.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We are a lot more like Duke in football than we like to admit. I have reached the point I don't expect to win any game. At least I thought we had a better than average chance in most games before Collins. Still can't figure out how we beat UNC.
That is an old saying and being old I know most of them
A blind squirrel can find a nut But maybe its best that they ( the squirrel and CGC ) don't find that nut and just go on and let the next one have that nut

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Except ... what we're seeing (with exception of Gibbs every once in a while) isn't particularly entertaining.
Back in Paul's time I was sitting near an older (and if he was older then me, he was old) Tech fan. We were doing a death march and he started complaining about "needing some excitement". I think that's what a lot of Tech fans didn't like about the TO; the death marches seemed so monotonous, whether they succeeded or not. And, since we ran a system O, there was no way to brag about the prowess of our players. (This is, imho, a main thing for many college football fans; most don't understand enough about the game to get excited about good downfield blocking like I do.) And - Look! - we're only winning about 7 games a year! We need to have an entertaining O and get pass "mediocrity"!

Btw, Smith broke a long run right after the old guy complained. And he grumped about that too. And we scored a TD soon after.

Well, as I said at the time, those who disliked Paul got their wish and now we are having to live with it.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
1. UNC is very overrated. Saw a lot of 10-2 predictions for them before the season. And still see them projected to go to a bowl — even though they still have ND (tonight), Wake, NC State ahead. I say they go 4-8.
2. We were lucky to beat Duke. The holding call on their tight end and then the Gibbs fumble that somehow rolled out of bounds. We needed help and a bounce to beat a Duke team that will go 3-9.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Back in Paul's time I was sitting near an older (and if he was older then me, he was old) Tech fan. We were doing a death march and he started complaining about "needing some excitement". I think that's what a lot of Tech fans didn't like about the TO; the death marches seemed so monotonous, whether they succeeded or not. And, since we ran a system O, there was no way to brag about the prowess of our players. (This is, imho, a main thing for many college football fans; most don't understand enough about the game to get excited about good downfield blocking like I do.) And - Look! - we're only winning about 7 games a year! We need to have an entertaining O and get pass "mediocrity"!

Btw, Smith broke a long run right after the old guy complained. And he grumped about that too. And we scored a TD soon after.

Well, as I said at the time, those who disliked Paul got their wish and now we are having to live with it.
What I’d give for a deathmarch. It was so much fun. You got to see the defense just die on the vine.

But hey - we’ve got a pro set offense now. Great !

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
They all thought we needed a modern offense instead of one that worked. Oh look how much CPJ's offense held the defense back. Well this modern Offense the Defense has to practice against sure is doing a number to make our defense the worst in the country. Individuals are smart. hordes of people are idiots. We had a horde of anti Paul Johnson that latched on to ever falsehood. So much confirmation bias was going on
Happy Sunday Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I've opined on this before, so forgive me. The AA "wanted" to get of CPJ in 2013, but ... 2014 happened. Despite what you read, the staff and administration, not to mention the big donors just ... didn't like him. Whatever. I think CPJ clearly understood the limits of coaching at Tech which, as much as we hate to admit it ... IS more like the service academies than it is to almost anyone in the Top 25.

I have heard that TStan is "laser-focused" on fixing the football program. From what I see so far, I hope he never works on my car.

We do need a unique system to compete. We don't have one. I thought we should have gone all in on the TO and we couldn't bring ourselves to do it.

We now have a coach who wears suits two sizes too small but who can talk the talk. Lucky us.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
We dont have the funding. We are lame coach stuck for 2 more years while the damage continues to get worse and worse. But we can still wish we had good coaching for the next 2 years.

The big donors are such complete idiots. If they had only given CPJ the resources they are giving this clown show instead of starve him out the way they did, how would things look different.
Again
Happy Sunday Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

People didn't like not being able to understand a high school offense. It was a pride thing.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've opined on this before, so forgive me. The AA "wanted" to get of CPJ in 2013, but ... 2014 happened. Despite what you read, the staff and administration, not to mention the big donors just ... didn't like him. Whatever. I think CPJ clearly understood the limits of coaching at Tech which, as much as we hate to admit it ... IS more like the service academies than it is to almost anyone in the Top 25.

I have heard that TStan is "laser-focused" on fixing the football program. From what I see so far, I hope he never works on my car.

We do need a unique system to compete. We don't have one. I thought we should have gone all in on the TO and we couldn't bring ourselves to do it.

We now have a coach who wears suits two sizes too small but who can talk the talk. Lucky us.
We are closer to being a service academy in 2021 than anyone in the top 10. That is for sure. I don’t think we could beat 2 of the academies this year. We might compete with Navy.

It will never be 1963 again, and most likely, never be 1990 again. I believed when Rad hired CPJ, he made a wonderfully self-aware decision. It seemed to be forward thinking, knowing where big boy CF was headed. It is sad to know he never got the all-in support that might have made the difference. Really tells you how good he actually is with the results he did get.

Now, we have decided to try and compete with the luxury factories although we have a football shack budget, not even taking into account we are a STEM school. Without a special head coach and staff, we are in for many, many lean years. I believe what we are seeing now will become closer to the norm, with a 6-7 win season the max we can hope for.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
In unrelated news, the GTAA announced today that they have scheduled a home-and-home series with Moeller High School. Todd Stansbury, AD at Georgia Tech commented that, "During the 1970s and 1980s, the Moeller football team won five national titles and many other championships. We are honored that they agreed to compete at the highest levels of football competition by accepting this series."

Geoff Collins, head coach at Georgia Tech added, "They are an ELITE football team. They are exactly the kind of opponent our skilled players and staff aspire to compete against every day. Besides, Cincinnati has great chili mac and this series will give us a great opportunity to taste some Skyline Chili."

I hope by lowering our standards enough ... we can find SOMEBODY to beat.