Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee has been a toxic mess for over a decade thanks to the Haslams and Fulmer. Tennessee was also trying to hire big name coaches, which is what some of you think I am advocating for but am not. I want a coach who has shown success at lower levels.
Tennessee has been a toxic mess since at least 1998. I guess you could argue that Fulmer contributed by stealing the program from Majors, but one of my best friends played for Fulmer and described him as a class act. Whatever. I think I stated that Tech is attractive to a lower level coach trying to move up and on that, I think we agree. (But ... Harsin sure is finding that the transition from Boise to Auburn is a lot tougher than he thought.)

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Sorry. The "rest of the nation" didn't care. They care about as much as what happens to Holy Cross when playing St. Bonaventure.
Lol. Pundits have comments on virtually everything. Here is one for you... random commentators doing an ACC Thursday night game in Collins first year both agreed that Satterfield has an easier turnaround following Petrino’s mess than Collins did. This type of take was the norm.

This isn’t saying Collins has maximized anything mind you.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Lol. Pundits have comments on virtually everything. Here is one for you... random commentators doing an ACC Thursday night game in Collins first year both agreed that Satterfield has an easier turnaround following Petrino’s mess than Collins did. This type of take was the norm.

This isn’t saying Collins has maximized anything mind you.
I agree. Commentators get a set of talking points from each press office and just read. I have the SEC Network play in the background and it doesn't matter who the pundit is, the words are almost identical. There are a few good ones, but overall ... not a lot of originality.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
idk if it’s so much as the number of wins as much as how we actually play

if we go another year without scoring a touchdown vs uga, clemson and our next toughest game which is likely ole miss, and couple it with a g5 loss and some bad acc losses then people will be pissed rightfully so

if we win 6 games but are competitive in them all, then maybe get an upset of one of the tough teams then i think 6-6 may be enough to win some hearts and minds

we also have to not be the worst defense in the country and we have to show improvement on offense. wins will come if we do that anyway
Good point, makes sense to recognize trending...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Commentators get a set of talking points from each press office and just read. I have the SEC Network play in the background and it doesn't matter who the pundit is, the words are almost identical. There are a few good ones, but overall ... not a lot of originality.
Yep if I’m ever feeling low on my quota for group think I watch the cable sports shows. Usually one dose and I’m caught up for the week.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I think I stated that Tech is attractive to a lower level coach trying to move up and on that, I think we agree. (But ... Harsin sure is finding that the transition from Boise to Auburn is a lot tougher than he thought.)
And these are the types of coaches I think we should be going after. Chris Klieman at Kansas State is a perfect example - guy was blowing it up at lower levels, bring him up and show him a lot more money than he was getting, while still being able to keep a lot of cash available for a support staff.

Frankly everything about the Collins hire was bungled imo

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
realistically you’re not getting a proven guy anyway at tech. we don’t have the money to entice some big name, we’re not in the sec, and it’s not like you’re inheriting a team that’s playing great.

we would be hiring some guy who’s “just an OC/DC” or “a guy that has never won at the p5 level”. i don’t think it would get fans too excited lol

we allegedly had the money to fire collins but people also need to understand to fire someone you gotta hire someone on the other end and the GTAA is not exactly swimming like scrooge mcduck
How does Cincinnati do it? They are smaller market and respected academically?!

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Come on man. Put on the ACC Network. Support the brand.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, once again, the only people that didn’t think this job would be a massive undertaking after the option are Tech fans. The rest of the nation thought it was going to be amazingly difficult.
I partly agree with this though I am firmly convinced a more modified approach of incorporating more running would have improved our chances for success. The reason I think that was ignored was to attempt to energize the recruiting front with a new offense approach. If Collins is gone at the end of 2022, the change from option will not be relevant. But I still think other factors such as lack of revenue (read smaller dollars for head coach and staff compared to majority of Power 5 plus lack of big NIL deals), weak attendance (tough on both players and recruits) and a tougher curriculum will still make getting a known successful coach difficult.

Jmonty71

Banned
pitt is losing their QB who’s a projected first round pick and possible first QB off the board. they’re not going to be as tough
Pitt still has a really good core of players, after their QB leaves. I think they will still be a top contender, for the Coastal. Given, the Coastal is pretty weak. Arguably the weakest division, among the Power 5 conferences.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I partly agree with this though I am firmly convinced a more modified approach of incorporating more running would have improved our chances for success. The reason I think that was ignored was to attempt to energize the recruiting front with a new offense approach. If Collins is gone at the end of 2022, the change from option will not be relevant. But I still think other factors such as lack of revenue (read smaller dollars for head coach and staff compared to majority of Power 5 plus lack of big NIL deals), weak attendance (tough on both players and recruits) and a tougher curriculum will still make getting a known successful coach difficult.
Successful coaches that are frustrated elsewhere or are up and comers and who can win at Ga Tech see us as a solid stepping stone to a respected elite program, Notre Dame...etc.

Or to the NFL with the pedigree for "doing things the right way"...

I'm ok with that. CGC seems like a good guy just needs to grind grind grind right now and keep the hyperbole in ✔️!

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Pitt still has a really good core of players, after their QB leaves. I think they will still be a top contender, for the Coastal. Given, the Coastal is pretty weak. Arguably the weakest division, among the Power 5 conferences.
And they are getting the starting USCw QB so that is concerning for us ...

slugboy

Staff member
Well, once again, the only people that didn’t think this job would be a massive undertaking after the option are Tech fans. The rest of the nation thought it was going to be amazingly difficult.
If our only issues were at QB, TE, and OL, then that makes sense. But places where there was no transition regressed.
Ted Roof ran a 4-2-5. We had one year at 3-4 under Nate Woody. What possible reason is there for defensive regression?
We didn’t change our blocking on field goals and extra points, and it took years to get that (mostly) squared away.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
If our only issues were at QB, TE, and OL, then that makes sense. But places where there was no transition regressed.
Ted Roof ran a 4-2-5. We had one year at 3-4 under Nate Woody. What possible reason is there for defensive regression?
We didn’t change our blocking on field goals and extra points, and it took years to get that (mostly) squared away.
Clearly it's CPJ's fault. Or our bad fans...;)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
CPJ AVERAGED 7-8 wins a year. But consistently? No.
Higher Win Average are supported by being only team to run specialized offense.

Cross rivals from Atlantic lost every game.. 1 per year is a given
FCS and G5 almost 100 win w crazy yardage. 2 per year.

To each his own, but i found these wins to be not meaningful.

(When we AVERAGE 60 pts in game 1 and 2 then get hammered by ND, some can embrace the first 2 and forget the ND.
NM. )

What was enjoyable were hard fought wins against strong coastal teams who knew our offense.

Imo, just looking at averages overlooks or misses the quality of the games.

As stated Collins has blown too many games.

Collins has looked terrible in way too many other games.

He has to show quality wins and quality losses.
If he shows quality during w and l and gets to a bowl thats a big improvement.

Terrible must stop.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
pitt is losing their QB who’s a projected first round pick and possible first QB off the board. they’re not going to be as tough
Wrong. Pitt always has good QB play. And they will next year as well. I bet whoever their QB will out perform whoever we have a QB. We haven’t had a QB get better year to year since Thomas.