Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

JacketFan137

Banned
No offense, but try to push that narrative in any Fortune 50 executive level meeting. I would give you 5 minutes before the CEO heads for HR to have you replaced.
totally comparable situations lol what the heck are you talking about

i don’t know what you guys want. the trend is positive. that’s progress in some area. results on the field are obviously not there. i didn’t comment about that. can y’all just admit in this one facet he is doing something well?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
No offense, but try to push that narrative in any Fortune 50 executive level meeting. I would give you 5 minutes before the CEO heads for HR to have you replaced.
Yep, its crazy. CGC set the floor so low there is no choice but to trend upwards.

I am feeling like we have a decent chance to turn the corner. It all depends on how much CGC wants to learn from his massive mistakes. I like the new hires and some of the changes. But its a real head scratcher the narrative that keeps getting pushed by some here. This was Todd taking a much firmer hand that forced a lot of these changes. His job is on the line as well now. Nothing that CGC initiated. Had it been about CGC making changes because he recognized them, they would have happened after year 2 not year 3.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

i don’t know what you guys want. the trend is positive. that’s progress in some area. results on the field are obviously not there. i didn’t comment about that. can y’all just admit in this one facet he is doing something well?
The trend is NOT positive. His record speaks for itself. You can cite indicators that might suggest it will improve, but has it? No. Might it? Maybe.

Just to add, and I have said this before, there are no consequences for poor performance at Tech. We tend to tolerate poor performance rather than demand excellence. I am reminded of what happened twice, recently at Auburn (not that Auburn is an exemplar, but it is a good example). First, on the conclusion of the 2020 season, Gus Malzahn was asked about how he viewed the year in review after finishing 6-4. He said something to the effect, "I think we did pretty good considering COVID and all the challenges we faced."

Auburn fired him the next day. AD Greene said, "We don't come to work every day to do "pretty good". We come to work to compete for championships. Gus and Auburn are not aligned on this and we are letting him go."

Harsin fired his receivers coach four games into the season citing too many dropped passes.

That's demanding accountability. We don't do that.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

A lot of us have a lot of experience running large teams and managing people, large budgets and expectations. There is a lot of parallelisms.

Basically people who cant discuss the facts in an open and honest way and try to twist them to make them look better than they are, are Bull Sh***ers. When you run a team you need all the facts as clear as possible. When you geta BS person then you as the leader are not getting the correct facts to make correct decisions. As soon as you recognize a BSer on your team, they have to go. They can cause SO much damage by twisting reality. Look at the guy trying to run Space X rocket engine line. He kept a lot of the issues from Musk. Made things look better than they were in reality.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
the trend is positive. that’s something to be proud of and shows something is happening. we’re never going to be at the very top as our fanbase is older and smaller
Being a sidewalk fan season ticket holder,I want to understand your optimism, so please explain to me why you feel the trend is positive. We lost the last six games by a combined score of 248-117, got out scored by our last two opponents 100-0, and i saw little defensive improvement from the first game to the last (excluding uncheat). Please give me reason for optimism.

JacketFan137

Banned
Being a sidewalk fan season ticket holder,I want to understand your optimism, so please explain to me why you feel the trend is positive. We lost the last six games by a combined score of 248-117, got out scored by our last two opponents 100-0, and i saw little defensive improvement from the first game to the last (excluding uncheat). Please give me reason for optimism.
i think you guys need your coffee. i was strictly referring to the social media trends literally nothing else lol

i don’t disagree with any comments on the record i’m just saying we’ve reached the point where something positive is happening and people still gripe about it.

his record is his record i’m never defending that.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

the last 3 years have sucked out loud. anyone with a passing interest knows that.

next year's team has different players and different coaches. have your feelings hurt all you want about what has happened, but it doesn't impact next year's team.

and, in spite of your personal feelings towards them, next year's coaches are next year's coaches.

if next year is perform or else, the team will perform or else.

there is plenty of info here on transfers coming in, coaching changes, and the like. make your own opinions on any of that to develop your own sense of optimism or pessimism for next year.

some of you just want to wallow around in your butthurt, and believe that griping nonstop about it for now 340 pages somehow advances the program.

have at it.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
the last 3 years have sucked out loud. anyone with a passing interest knows that.

next year's team has different players and different coaches. have your feelings hurt all you want about what has happened, but it doesn't impact next year's team.

and, in spite of your personal feelings towards them, next year's coaches are next year's coaches.

there is plenty of info here on transfers coming in, coaching changes, and the like. make your own opinions on any of that to develop your own sense of optimism or pessimism for next year.

some of you just want to wallow around in your butthurt, and believe that griping nonstop about it for now 340 pages somehow advances the program.

have at it.
Message boards don't advance the program - positive or negative.... It's a message board.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Message boards don't advance the program - positive or negative.... It's a message board.

you do know there are recruits and their parents reading this forum, correct?

what is the point, then, of making fun of the coach and ad, amongst others, non stop, in addition to the witching and whining?

this thread, in spite of the sticky admonition, includes lots of personal attacks that have nothing to do with football.

Is that the point - witch and whining non stop, calling names, etc, somehow makes you feel better?

JacketFan137

Banned

have at it.
EXACTLY. this staff is here for next year. this isn’t gonna change. can’t even acknowledge that our social media presence is improving without people crying. there’s still like 9 months before kickoff and all these people wanna do is cry and complain and act like anyone with any shred of positivity is the problem lol

tech football is something we all care about but if it’s making people this miserable they need to just let it go. it’s just a game

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
If, say, Collins leaves at some point in the future, is every thread here going to turn into a CPJ vs Current coach argument?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck

what is the point, then, of making fun of the coach and ad, amongst others, non stop, in addition to the witching and whining?

this thread, in spite of the sticky admonition, includes lots of personal attacks that have nothing to do with football.

Is that the point - witch and whining non stop, calling names, etc, somehow makes you feel better?
You know other, larger, more successful teams / programs have message boards make this one seem very very tame and they do fine. I think you grossly overestimate the influence or power of this board. it's a fan site. relax... Or don't check in on the thread. that'll work too.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
You know other, larger, more successful teams / programs have message boards make this one seem very very tame and they do fine. I think you grossly overestimate the influence or power of this board. it's a fan site. relax... Or don't check in on the thread. that'll work too.

so, then, beyond giving you a chance to say "join us in our misery or go away", what point does this thread serve?

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Alabama fan post roasted Bill O'Brien against Cincinnati during the game... embarrassing and some what shocking...we are mild and civil by comparison...which by the way is why I participate...😉

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If, say, Collins leaves at some point in the future, is every thread here going to turn into a CPJ vs Current coach argument?
Of course not. With the new coach, Collins himself will be reason that the new coach can't win if he isn't winning. Blaming others is easier than personal accountability.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
That that does not kill you makes you stronger...let's hope CGC is up for the task...
If he turns this thing around, he will have gained a huge amount of respect, given his poor start.

I remember my freshman year, I went into my chemistry final with a 54 in the class. The professor clearly stated in the first week to not expect a curve no matter what. The final, however, was divided into 4 sections. The first 3 covered the first 3 tests, the last one was the final 1/4 of the class. It was setup so each section was graded independently so that if you performed better in those, they would replace your previous test scores. I went in with a 54 in the class, after the final I saw my final grade in the class was a 91. I went from a huge dent in my hope scholarship retention, to glory. That was sweet and made me enjoy the class more in hindsight (especially since I am a mechanical engineer and have never enjoyed chemistry).

Important lesson I learned: if you want someone bad enough, you work your butt off, no matter how bleak things may look, there's usually always a way to succeed. Here's hoping CGC finds his way.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Another board addressed this well. The administrator made this comment ...

"The reason I don't believe that parents and recruits put any real stock in message board comments is because they have participated on them.

This is the first generation of parents that has first hand knowledge in what message boards are. Its not like 15 years ago when parents hadn't participated. Now parents know. They're savvy, not ignorant or naive. They know to take comments on a message board with a huge grain of salt."

I think there is a lot of merit to that.

It would be interesting for the moderators to share the total number of unique posters to a thread. I'll bet the Fire Geoff Collins one, even though its 350 pages ... is probably fewer than 100.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The trend last year was headed down the toilet, but whatever optimism I have is based on the partial coaching overhaul and just the hope that springs eternal. By next September, I'm sure I'll be champing at the bit, again. We'll see what happens.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The trend last year was headed down the toilet, but whatever optimism I have is based on the partial coaching overhaul and just the hope that springs eternal. By next September, I'm sure I'll be champing at the bit, again. We'll see what happens.
A previous poster noted that Next Year's Team is Next Year's Team and not This Year's Team. I think there is a lot of truth in that and I am excited for the coaching changes, so we will see. Having said that, I think we have 3 clear losses (UGA, Clemson, Ole Miss) and of the remaining 9, 5 are away games and I think we'll lose 3 of those. So we're looking at 6-6 if everything goes well ... <fingers crossed>.

slugboy

Staff member

Yes, there are. We have had posters say some pretty crummy things about players, and we've called them out for it. We've applied penalties, and in some cases banned the posters.

We have rules about name calling and derogatory comments. We don't have a policy about bitching and whining. I don't enjoy reading bitching and whining, but after a loss or a badly losing season some of that comes with the territory.

If you see name calling and personal insults, you can report the users by clicking on "report" in the lower left-hand corner of the post. If you find a personal attack, we act on it. If the comment is "Collins has failed to coach a good defense and here's why..." we're not going to consider that a personal attack.

If they're bitching and whining, you can ignore the user.