Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Then I’m not sure I understand what you are even talking about. Do you count Techs ACC basketball title? Or do we wipe that out due to it not being a real season?
I understand that you don't know what I'm talking about. I just haven't found a way to help you.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So predicting three straight three win seasons before the 2019 season was reasonable but making any prediction at all for next year is too soon?

That's not what I said, but let's play along. Yes, predicting three seasons where we would win 3-4 games each season from 2019-2021 was entirely reasonable. As I have stated MANY times before, the reasons for that have to do with the rebuilding of the OL. We are now at a point where our OL should start becoming able to help us win games. Based on what we look like health wise and roster wise after the spring game, we should be able to reasonably predict an expected W/L record for 2022.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It’s no accusation. You admit that you did not see these posts. I saw them. If you are going to be so adamant that I am wrong then I can only conclude that you think I am making this up, in which case I am deeply disappointed in you. If I have not seen a post that you claim to have seen my default position is to assume you saw something I did not see, not that you are lying. There are way too many posts on this subject for any person to remember them all. These particular comments struck me because it felt at the time like people were creating alibis for Collins before he was even settled into the job. I found that odd. When someone said in the last couple of days that it was “still CPJ’s fault” it felt like a continuation of a narrative from three years ago. When they further indicated that Nebraska was still trying to evolve from the wishbone 20 years later it sounded like more of the same.

I didn't see them because they don't exist. You can't see what's not there. I still hold you're a victim of the Mandela Effect on this.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You think this is an argument for your point?

And, btw, when Paul took over in 2008, we went 9 - 4. Hiring the right coach makes a difference even when the personnel don't fit the offense.
This is the most ridiculous post yet. Johnson’s best 2 years consecutively were his first 2 because Gailey left him more talent than he could ever accumulate on his own.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
This is the most ridiculous post yet. Johnson’s best 2 years consecutively were his first 2 because Gailey left him more talent than he could ever accumulate on his own.
To be fair if we are going off of star ranking 2007 had 8 4 stars but DJ Donley and Steven Threat left before Paul arrived. Paul in 2010 signed 5 4 star prospects.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Wake has the 69th ranked class lol
Wake’s recruiting abilities has nothing to do with the conversation. You brought up how similar Auburn’s offense was earlier in this thread under Malzan to Johnson’s. How was he able to recruit elite talent with what you say is a similar system? Hint: shotgun/passing game. The perception of his offense was that it was different than Johnson’s. And honestly that was the perception because it was.

The triple option is viewed as something that lesser programs run. It’s almost impossible to recruit to. It stigmatizes any team that touches it.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
To be fair if we are going off of star ranking 2007 had 8 4 stars but DJ Donley and Steven Threat left before Paul arrived. So 2010 he signed 5 4 star prospects.
Once again. You struggle to follow the point.

The point is if Gailey left him with players so ill suited for his system then we should have improved as Johnson recruited his own players. That obviously didn’t happen.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Wake’s recruiting abilities has nothing to do with the conversation. You brought up how similar Auburn’s offense was earlier in this thread under Malzan to Johnson’s. How was he able to recruit elite talent with what you say is a similar system? Hint: shotgun/passing game. The perception of his offense was that it was different than Johnson’s. And honestly that was the perception because it was.

The triple option is viewed as something that lesser programs run. It’s almost impossible to recruit to. It stigmatizes any team that touches it.
Because Auburn isn’t a STEM school and I would be willing to bet no matter who their head coach is they would pull in top 25 classes. You are comparing apples to oranges comparing the advantages of coaching at Auburn vs Tech

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Once again. You struggle to follow the point.

The point is if Gailey left him with players so ill suited for his system then we should have improved as Johnson recruited his own players. That obviously didn’t happen.
I also fail to follow what you want. You hated Johnson because he couldn’t get “talent” but praise Gailey for having *** loads of talent yet they have the same winning percentage. So are you saying Gailey is a below average coach and Paul is a God?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
But Malzahn actually improved recruiting at Auburn. His system didn’t hinder him in the slightest the way Johnson’s hindered him.

And I think you overstate the difference between Tech and Auburn in terms of recruiting. Yes there is a difference but I would argue it’s not as massive as you claim.
Because Auburn isn’t a STEM school and I would be willing to bet no matter who their head coach is they would pull in top 25 classes. You are comparing apples to oranges comparing the advantages of coaching at Auburn vs Tech

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Wow. You really think changing a scheme causes three straight years of disastrous results, poor in game decisions, and an inability to adjust in game?

Amazing!
Lol. No. Collins could have done better.

And if he doesn’t improve drastically this tear he will be gone.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I also fail to follow what you want. You hated Johnson because he couldn’t get “talent” but praise Gailey for having *** loads of talent yet they have the same winning percentage. So are you saying Gailey is a below average coach and Paul is a God?
Man. Virtually none of that is correct.

I didn’t hate Johnson. Thought he was a good coach that maximized his talent.

I think Gailey clearly left the program in better shape than Johnson did. Not sure how that can be argued.

And I also agree that Gailey and Johnson were similar coaches at GT. One more consistent while the other provided more ups and downs.

What I contest is any poster hinting at bringing back the option. I’ll object all day long to that. We don’t have to resort to that.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
But Malzahn actually improved recruiting at Auburn. His system didn’t hinder him in the slightest the way Johnson’s hindered him.

And I think you overstate the difference between Tech and Auburn in terms of recruiting. Yes there is a difference but I would argue it’s not as massive as you claim.
Paul Johnson won Techs first outright conference championship since 1990. So despite what you “think”. The facts are the option works at the p5 level. Even with all of that lack of talent he still did something no one else with any other offense or scheme could do in 19 years.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson won Techs first outright conference championship since 1990. So despite what you “think”. The facts are the option works at the p5 level. Even with all of that lack of talent he still did something no one else with any other offense or scheme could do in 19 years.
Yep. Good times. He also ended a 2 decade long bowl streak and the end of his tenure and into the next we have now missed bowls in 5 of 6 years and haven’t been ranked in 6 years. That is also part of his resume.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Look at the points differential. You'll see that I am correct. Of course, that doesn't help further certain narratives...
I've tried to play nice with you for a while, but since you insist.

Looking at 2018 rankings followed by 2021 win-loss record. These are from 247. I did 2018 since it's the magic number you claim takes a program's recruits to be considered ready for competition.

If you look at the list below, it is very striking how similar the win loss records are from schools with recruiting rankings between 15-52 (as far as I cared to go). Surprisingly more double digit win teams outside of the 15-25 range which goes completely against your point below.

There's also a wide gulf between those teams at 16-25 and those in the 40's and above, which is where we were under CPJ.

Case in point, you are undeniably wrong and after top 15 recruiting rankings, it is certainly a crap shoot as I tried to tell you earlier.

16. Washington 4-8
17. Texas A&M 8-4
18. South Carolina 7-6
19. UCLA 8-4
20. North Carolina 6-7
21. Tennessee 7-6
22. Michigan 12-2
23. Nebraska 3-9
24. Virginia Tech 6-7
25. TCU 5-7

26. NC State 9-3
27. Mississippi State 7-6
28. Maryland 7-6
29. Baylor 11-2
30. Louisville 6-7
31. Michigan State 11-2
32. Ole Miss 10-2
33. Utah 10-3
34. Oklahoma State 11-2
35. West Virginia 6-7
36. Arizona State 8-5
37. Kentucky 9-3
38. Minnesota 9-4
39. Iowa 10-3

40. Stanford 3-9
41. Vanderbilt 2-10
42. California 5-7
43. Missouri 6-7
44. Georgia Tech ughhhh 3-9
45. Arkansas 8-4
46. Wisconsin 9-4
47. Washington State 7-6
48. Pittsburgh 11-3
49. Cincinnati 13-1
50. Indiana 2-10
51. Syracuse 5-7
52. Purdue 9-4

I hope this opens some people's eyes as to how unimportant and unimpressive a top 25 class really is, if you're not in the 1-15 range.

But you'll probably still tag this as some narrative I have.