Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If I were honest I confess to being ready to move away from Paul's sytem at the time. I thought the recruiting limitations were legit and I didn't see anyone having any more technical expertise in the system than Coach Johnson. Just because the current 'fix" isn't working doesn't make me want to retreat back into the comfort of the past although I can understand why some would feel differently.

Regarding the part of your post that I quoted, I keep hearing this and am wondering if you (or anyone else) can corroborate this or is it something that has been repeated enough to now be accepted as fact?
It's fact. TStan had an option to raise money by either going after large numbers of small donations or focus on a few large guys. Pareto Rule and all of that, and it's 5-6 guys that raise all the money. And they HATED the TO ... even in 2014 and a trip to the Orange Bowl. They want to be Alabama on a budget. Their mindsets are from the 1990's when the gaps were much, much closer. The top programs are so far better resourced and professionally managed than Tech's is not even fun to evaluate ... it's just ... OMG.

We are not in Kansas anymore. It's a brave new world and I don't think our guys are up to the task. Again, my view is we will do just fine in the other sports like golf, basketball, baseball, etc. But football is expensive to run ... and we do not have a competitive advantage.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And while we are on that, what the heck was CGC looking at that made him start Sims over Yates?
I think we have all played on teams or with guys who shine in practice but shrink under the lights. And then other guys who were better under the lights. Sometimes the latter group just need an opportunity to get out there in game conditions.

One of the best golfers I ever played with or have seen (amateur level) looked almost like a hacker on the range. Ugly swing and you thought he would be easy money. While not looking good while doing so, he would shoot great scores. He just found ways to get the ball in the hole using unorthodox methods.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Because he’s biGTime ??? Idk. Recruiting rankings are great and all. How you prepare them, how they play and how you put them in positions to win is what matters. Coaching staff is failing the first and last.
I didn't see anything about Sims last night that said big-time.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I find myself grasping for straws of hope as to why the season isn't a lost cause... and all i come up with is the fact that when CGC was at Temple they lost to a Villanova team they had no business loading to and then went on to go 11-1 in conference. But that feels really stupid to find hope in another awful loss of CGC

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Ok- everybody wants him fired, I get it. Who you want? Let’s be serious, Coaching maybe an issue but ultimately the players have to play. I mean to be honest, I was not impressed with our O Line or D Line play. How come nobody is mentioning those Coaches be gone as well. I don’t mind the hype videos nor the jumping around on the sidelines to get pumped- that’s what the kids like. Money Down has got to go, but if you want him fired and that’s what most of these 22 pages say- who is doing that good of a job with what they have that we can afford to pay? Please enlighten me
A lot of coaches can win 7-8 games. We fired one because that wasn’t enough.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I think leaving the option for the sake of leaving the option is stubborn, but I don’t think it would have been impossible to be more successful than we are now running a more traditional offense with a different coach. I think that is a legitimate discussion at some point.
However, Losing to The Citadel and Northern Illinois is more than what offense we run and what players we have. We walloped Bowling Green 63-17 (like we should. I don’t think anyone here was overly impressed with that win) in 2018 and a calendar year later we can’t stop The Citadel? There was enough talent on the team just to out-athlete those guys. Now, a few years later, we supposedly have a lot more talent now, and we can’t beat a winless G5 school? Again, we should be able to out-athlete these guys. This is coaching. If we were winless in the ACC, but beating these teams, yeah maybe we’d need to discuss if the scheme is unrealistic for GT in modern college football, but until we’re beating FCS and winless G5 teams, I’m more focused on the main issue at hand: the coaching.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I find myself grasping for straws of hope as to why the season isn't a lost cause... and all i come up with is the fact that when CGC was at Temple they lost to a Villanova team they had no business loading to and then went on to go 11-1 in conference. But that feels really stupid to find hope in another awful loss of CGC

As dumb as hiring a head coach on what he did at Temple. This guy has been a train wreck from the moment he did that stupid weight lifting gimmick. He’s gone - just a question of how long and how much damage he does to the program in the interim.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think you are underestimating the conditioning and raw physicality of NIU. They are superb specimens of the human species and in ANY sport they might compete in, would be considered ELITE. We are fortunate to even be on the same field as them. <tongue in cheek>
Mark Bradley's column in the AJC this morning out and out ridicules Collins and his pretensions in what amounts to a printed autopsy. Although I was never a Collins guy I hate to see Georgia Tech looped in as part of his goofiness.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I think leaving the option for the sake of leaving the option is stubborn, but I don’t think it would have been impossible to be more successful than we are now running a more traditional offense with a different coach. I think that is a legitimate discussion at some point.
However, Losing to The Citadel and Northern Illinois is more than what offense we run and what players we have. We walloped Bowling Green 63-17 (like we should. I don’t think anyone here was overly impressed with that win) in 2018 and a calendar year later we can’t stop The Citadel? There was enough talent on the team just to out-athlete those guys. Now, a few years later, we supposedly have a lot more talent now, and we can’t beat a winless G5 school? Again, we should be able to out-athlete these guys. This is coaching. If we were winless in the ACC, but beating these teams, yeah maybe we’d need to discuss if the scheme is unrealistic for GT in modern college football, but until we’re beating FCS and winless G5 teams, I’m more focused on the main issue at hand: the coaching.
Yep. It’s not scheme and it’s not talent. We atill aren’t ready to play the game and the other teams is. Too much time spent on the unimportant stuff. Been that way since day 1.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Mark Bradley's column in the AJC this morning out and out ridicules Collins and his pretensions in what amounts to a printed autopsy. Although I was never a Collins guy I hate to see Georgia Tech looped in as part of his goofiness.
This reminds me exactly what happened when the Knoxville newspapers, which are ALWAYS pro Vol football, finally turned on Butch Jones. Ugly doesn't describe it.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I watched the press conference.

Three quick observations. 1.) When asked about wasting two times outs and then deciding to go for it CGC never really answered the question of why the indecision. He stressed that we missed scoring by inches.
2.) Is anyone else tired of how CGC hides behind his hat every time he has a bad loss?
3.) CGC certainly has a different style than any winning coach I’ve seen. I’m trying to imagine Saban having a bad game/loss and talking about how much the players just needed to feel his love. When Alabama got blown out by Clemson Saban was angry at the coaches, including himself, and angry that the players had believed their own press clippings and phoned it in.
He is a recruiting coodinator, maybe, I said maybe, a position coach. He is not a HC - there, I said it. To me, it is obvious.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
He still averaged 5 ypc even with that garbage play calling. Having him run read option right up the middle is not the best use of his talent. Especially when an average Joe like me sitting in the stands can call out what play we are about to run with astonishing accuracy.
Very truthful. Our plays lack imagination. Good thing we saved revealing the playbook last night.