Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I didn't see anything about Sims last night that said big-time.
We have a very disconcerting situation at QB. While our No 1 shows flashes of excellence, he continually plays the part of Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown/us GT fans. Our No. 2…well, I’ll just stop here.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Nope, but to hear CGC and the Juice Crew explain it, Sims was ready to be a top tier QB - maybe the best in the Coastal. I Never saw it.
Does Collins even know? One reason (of the three) that got Gus Malzahn fired was his inability to develop Bo Nix. I can't imagine Geoff can ... it's just not his thing.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is the crux of the current state of football nationally.

TStan was correct when he addressed this when hired. Paraphrasing, "Football will split into the have's and have nots. My goal is to make sure that Tech football is still relevant and a member of the Haves." However, one thing TStan did not have was money.

His options were ...
  1. Keep the TO and get really, really good at it. It is a niche and levels the playing field against even the best ... if you have players. Having invested 11 years in the TO this made a lot sense. Bring in a younger coach and reinvigorate the program with fresh eyes but the same basic strategy.
  2. Go to the modern offense and hope you can recruit. The challenge is you will be more like everyone else so you had better be able to out coach your peers.
The Money Guys refused Option 1 and so ... we talked ourselves into Option 2.

What we have is a guy who can recruit (Option 2, check), but can't coach (Option 2, bad).

I'm very pessimistic this morning. We are on a path to becoming Vandy or Bowling Green on a permanent basis.
It cannot be said any better. I will just kind of summarize.

GT can either have a system (system expert coach) that allows us to compete with the big boys - in this situation, we will probably have really good years but also some difficult ones.
OR, GT can recruit better (top 35 or so), and if they have a really, really good coaching staff that can develop players, we possibly could average 6-8 wins per year. In this scenario, we probably won't have great years (10+ wins), but we might avoid a 3-4 win season.

I truly believe this is true. With NIL, this has only become more true.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
It cannot be said any better. I will just kind of summarize.

GT can either have a system (system expert coach) that allows us to compete with the big boys - in this situation, we will probably have really good years but also some difficult ones.
OR, GT can recruit better (top 35 or so), and if they have a really, really good coaching staff that can develop players, we possibly could average 6-8 wins per year. In this scenario, we probably won't have really, really good years, but we might avoid 3-4 win season.

I truly believe this is true. With NIL, this has only become more true.
Yep. The problem with option 2 (more so than option 1) is that that staff or HC will be short lived for GT - they’ll get hired away as soon as they have success. With Option 1 a lot of the cfb world will stay away. We were living in exactly that world. It was better than this horror show. We should have seen this coming - lots of us did.

slugboy

Staff member
Air Raid? Might work with Yates. Because no way Sims can do it from what I saw last night.

And while we are on that, what the heck was CGC looking at that made him start Sims over Yates?
Air raid is a different offense than we’re running, but it needs a lot of the same things we have in our offense anyway. Our pass blocking had some good plays and had some awful plays last night. If you’re going to be pass-heavy, inconsistent pass blocking will kill you.

The few times that Yates has gotten into games before last night, usually when Sims lost a helmet or something similar, it didn’t look good. Last night was a different Yates than I’ve seen on the field.

Some of it is. A lot of it is in raw lack of ability. The D line had Zero push all night long on pass plays and the O line wasn’t much better.
I saw the D line getting gassed last night. Tempo was killing them. In the last drive, I saw them getting stood up. I do not understand why we have such poor results there—we’ve got strength and size, but year in and year out we are not playing well there.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Collins has poor game management skills.... Are we to just endure his lack of abilities, while he learns? We deserve better.

I think that is one skill that can be fairly easy to identify and hire for. A HC doesn't have to be good at everything....but he needs to understand his weaknesses and have people who ARE good in the areas where he is not.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Collins has poor game management skills.... Are we to just endure his lack of abilities, while he learns? We deserve better.
I've worked with all sorts of great functional managers (Director of Engineering, Finance, whatever) who were disasters as the General Manager. They just weren't well-rounded enough to really understand how the business worked in total. Happy to sail over Niagra Falls in a barrel.

When asked how things were going and what his plan was for 2H, Collins quipped, "We need to get a three and out and put on a good drive." Not exactly earth shattering analysis.

I'm just musing but, why not fire Patenude today and hire Mark Richt? He's done as a head coach but might bring Geoff the stability he needs. He's close and there's no buyout.

Jmonty71

Banned
but in his third year he still making the same management mistakes. so no, he probably wont ever learn. when you cave to what the crowd wants, you have basically become an ineffective leader.
He is not a strong coach, to say the least. He wasted time outs, because he can't decide on what to do. It's embarrassing, needless to say.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Air raid is a different offense than we’re running, but it needs a lot of the same things we have in our offense anyway. Our pass blocking had some good plays and had some awful plays last night. If you’re going to be pass-heavy, inconsistent pass blocking will kill you.

The few times that Yates has gotten into games before last night, usually when Sims lost a helmet or something similar, it didn’t look good. Last night was a different Yates than I’ve seen on the field.

I saw the D line getting gassed last night. Tempo was killing them. In the last drive, I saw them getting stood up. I do not understand why we have such poor results there—we’ve got strength and size, but year in and year out we are not playing well there.
Yates was putting the ball on the receivers numbers and face masks. I didn't expect it and was delighted to see it.

Sims was putting the ball on the grass. I expected more from all the preseason hype.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok- everybody wants him fired, I get it. Who you want? Let’s be serious, Coaching maybe an issue but ultimately the players have to play. I mean to be honest, I was not impressed with our O Line or D Line play. How come nobody is mentioning those Coaches be gone as well. I don’t mind the hype videos nor the jumping around on the sidelines to get pumped- that’s what the kids like. Money Down has got to go, but if you want him fired and that’s what most of these 22 pages say- who is doing that good of a job with what they have that we can afford to pay? Please enlighten me

Jeff Monken.... End of story.

Hell, we could still savage the season. Tobias Oliver is still on the team.

Bring him in this afternoon... install 7 plays... And they will beat Kennesaw 60-10 next week. Tobias will run for 250...

1.) Inside Veer
2.) Load Option
3.) QB Follow
4.) Rocket Toss
5.) Speed Option
6.) Zone Dive
7.) 1 pass play

Win 60-10 next week.

It's never too late to do the right thing.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Does Collins even know? One reason (of the three) that got Gus Malzahn fired was his inability to develop Bo Nix. I can't imagine Geoff can ... it's just not his thing.
Boy I would love to have Gus coaching us right now - we need a new coach period and I am willing to take one that has had success and then fallen back but appears to be a good coach like gus.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think that is one skill that can be fairly easy to identify and hire for. A HC doesn't have to be good at everything....but he needs to understand his weaknesses and have people who ARE good in the areas where he is not.
But here's what's funny. Collins is regarded as a defense mastermind. Yet, Dan Mullin, whom he worked for ... wasn't exactly complimentary. I'm wondering if Geoff is a one-trick pony. (Recruiting). Maybe he's not good at pretty much everything.