Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yep. We’ve gone from the dreaded “high school offense” to a team that plays worse than a high school team.

If I were a mod I would be more careful about saying too many doom and gloom things right now. But, as it is, I am going to vent my frustrations even while secretly hoping we have a miraculous turnaround next week.

Lord help me I am a Tech fan.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
On the plus side, punting looks pretty good still! Got a few unlucky bounces for touchbacks, but still averaged 52 yds a punt.

FG kicking on the other hand, is horrendous, again. We have brought in a half dozen kickers in the last 3 years, either highly touted high schoolers, or transfers who we have been repeatedly assured would fix our kicking woes. We had a kicker who was literally perfect the year before CGC took over. And without fail, none of them can kick it through the uprights come gametime anymore. How the F is that possible. I have no other choice than to believe Collins and his special teams coaching are the cause, they are the one common denominator.

Last edited:

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
CGC goes into next weekend’s game against KSU riding a personal 2 game losing streak to FCS teams. lol

I’m sorry so many of you drank the Kool-Aid. I feel bad for the fans who actually felt things were going to get better. I’m basically apathetic at this point which depresses me. College football Saturdays are one of life’s greatest gifts. The fact that our program is so embarrassing that I don’t even care seemed impossible even in the Gailey years.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We need and identity and a coach capable of doing more with less

I 100% agree but i am curious as to the nuts and bolts behind this shared vision. I think it sounds easier than it apparently is as evidenced by the examples I cited in my post. As in the business world, we all think we are making good hires when we make them. I too was not perfect in that although when I was younger I thought I could tell who would fit and who would not. I found out I was wrong.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for looking this up. I really think the play here is to pay up for a good OC. Win some games and make Geoff look better than he is with the thought of pawning him off on another program (TN could be a good candidate) without having to pay the buyout. This is kinda what investment capital companies do in business.
My fear is that CGC has been overexposed. No one has talked a louder game and attracted more attention to himself. He either gets actually better as a coach or we are stuck putting lipstick on a pig.

He is at a crossroads in his career as a head coach.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with most of the comments on here and have come to the inevitable conclusion that CGC is just not a good head coach. He probably would be a good coordinator and recruiter. I have been going to games for 35 years and that was the most disappointing home game I have been to.
But I remain surprised and disappointed that so many of the the passionate fans that express their opinions on here talk about how mad they were watching home games on TV. I also wonder how many fans that post during the game are doing it from stands or at home on the couch. That is understandable if you live out of state or are medically unable to attend, but one of the big problems Tech has is empty seats. It hurts recruiting for those that we invite to the games and hurts the team morale. I know this has nothing to do with the issue at hand this morning after the nightmare last night, but it something that crosses my mind when I stare at the east stands all game which are 80 percent empty.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree with most of the comments on here and have come to the inevitable conclusion that CGC is just not a good head coach. He probably would be a good coordinator and recruiter. I have been going to games for 35 years and that was the most disappointing home game I have been to.
But I remain surprised and disappointed that so many of the the passionate fans that express their opinions on here talk about how mad they were watching home games on TV. I also wonder how many fans that post during the game are doing it from stands or at home on the couch. That is understandable if you live out of state or are medically unable to attend, but one of the big problems Tech has is empty seats. It hurts recruiting for those that we invite to the games and hurts the team morale. I know this has nothing to do with the issue at hand this morning after the nightmare last night, but it something that crosses my mind when I stare at the east stands all game which are 80 percent empty.
CGC promised to make Tech “exciting again” and put “fans in the stands.” Just saying.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
On a side note, it is worth noting that Gibbs looked below average. Even when he started running he looked half the speed as last year. Maybe they bottled him up. But it was concerning that our best player didn’t even make it interesting
He still averaged 5 ypc even with that garbage play calling. Having him run read option right up the middle is not the best use of his talent. Especially when an average Joe like me sitting in the stands can call out what play we are about to run with astonishing accuracy.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
On the plus side, punting looks pretty good still! Got a few unlucky bounces for touchbacks, but still averaged 52 yds a punt.
And don't forget how few penalties were called against GT - another positive. So we "didn't beat ourselves" with penalties like last season... However, in the world of reality, I guess that just means the other team really did kick our arse... I thought their Oline man-handled our front 7 most of the night - we had little QB pressure and they were opening up some large holes - particularly when they needed it the most on that last drive... It wasn't a fluke...unfortunately.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I 100% agree but i am curious as to the nuts and bolts behind this shared vision. I think it sounds easier than it apparently is as evidenced by the examples I cited in my post. As in the business world, we all think we are making good hires when we make them. I too was not perfect in that although when I was younger I thought I could tell who would fit and who would not. I found out I was wrong.
This is the crux of the current state of football nationally.

TStan was correct when he addressed this when hired. Paraphrasing, "Football will split into the have's and have nots. My goal is to make sure that Tech football is still relevant and a member of the Haves." However, one thing TStan did not have was money.

His options were ...
  1. Keep the TO and get really, really good at it. It is a niche and levels the playing field against even the best ... if you have players. Having invested 11 years in the TO this made a lot sense. Bring in a younger coach and reinvigorate the program with fresh eyes but the same basic strategy.
  2. Go to the modern offense and hope you can recruit. The challenge is you will be more like everyone else so you had better be able to out coach your peers.
The Money Guys refused Option 1 and so ... we talked ourselves into Option 2.

What we have is a guy who can recruit (Option 2, check), but can't coach (Option 2, bad).

I'm very pessimistic this morning. We are on a path to becoming Vandy or Bowling Green on a permanent basis.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I get your point. But if you listen to the AD's, they measure eyeballs now, not so much live attendance. It's nice and creates a good game day experience, but fans have multiple ways to watch a game. I watched the fans at Auburn last night ... half the stadium emptied at half time to watch the game at the bars.

I think within ten years, you won't have 20,000 fans at a Tech game. You might have the equivalent at Hudson's or wherever the watch party is. It's not just Tech.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
And don't forget how few penalties were called against GT - another positive. So we "didn't beat ourselves" with penalties like last season... However, in the world of reality, I guess that just means the other team really did kick our arse... I thought their Oline man-handled our front 7 most of the night - we had little QB pressure and they were opening up some large holes - particularly when they needed it the most on that last drive... It wasn't a fluke...unfortunately.
Yea for as much hype as our defensive ends have gotten, the d line was completely absent last night. Their qb had hours to throw the ball, zero pressure.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
100% agree here. Start experimenting with what you can afford to change at the moment. To me that is the OC position. People disliked the option, so go the other route with an air raid system. It creates a lot of the explosive plays that CPJs system did in a more flashy manner. We will never compete well when we need the same players as everyone else.

It is very hard to find a TE that is elite and bring him to GT. There are very few and most are going to Bama, UGAg, Clemson. Go run a system where you don’t need one.

if I were Tstan I would be on the phone with a proven HC that I trusted to help me find a good OC. Use someone with the knowledge and acumen to find a good OC then drop that resume on Collin’s desk and say call this guy. It happens in business when the managers/teams are struggling. The leader (coach) gets help to turn the ship in the right direction with or without their consent.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

FG kicking on the other hand, is horrendous, again. We have brought in a half dozen kickers in the last 3 years, either highly touted high schoolers, or transfers who we have been repeatedly assured would fix our kicking woes. We had a kicker who was literally perfect the year before CGC took over. And without fail, none of them can kick it through the uprights come gametime anymore. How the F is that possible. I have no other choice than to believe Collins and his special teams coaching are the cause, they are the one common denominator.
Remember how he "pushed" the kicking competition in practice. Instead he broke him. He is so incompetent at so many levels. He desperately needs a manager.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

If I were honest I confess to being ready to move away from Paul's sytem at the time. I thought the recruiting limitations were legit and I didn't see anyone having any more technical expertise in the system than Coach Johnson. Just because the current 'fix" isn't working doesn't make me want to retreat back into the comfort of the past although I can understand why some would feel differently.

Regarding the part of your post that I quoted, I keep hearing this and am wondering if you (or anyone else) can corroborate this or is it something that has been repeated enough to now be accepted as fact?

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
100% agree here. Start experimenting with what you can afford to change at the moment. To me that is the OC position. People disliked the option, so go the other route with an air raid system. It creates a lot of the explosive plays that CPJs system did in a more flashy manner. We will never compete well when we need the same players as everyone else.

It is very hard to find a TE that is elite and bring him to GT. There are very few and most are going to Bama, UGAg, Clemson. Go run a system where you don’t need one.

if I were Tstan I would be on the phone with a proven HC that I trusted to help me find a good OC. Use someone with the knowledge and acumen to find a good OC then drop that resume on Collin’s desk and say call this guy. It happens in business when the managers/teams are struggling. The leader (coach) gets help to turn the ship in the right direction with or without their consent.
Air Raid? Might work with Yates. Because no way Sims can do it from what I saw last night.

And while we are on that, what the heck was CGC looking at that made him start Sims over Yates?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
This is the crux of the current state of football nationally.

TStan was correct when he addressed this when hired. Paraphrasing, "Football will split into the have's and have nots. My goal is to make sure that Tech football is still relevant and a member of the Haves." However, one thing TStan did not have was money.

His options were ...
  1. Keep the TO and get really, really good at it. It is a niche and levels the playing field against even the best ... if you have players. Having invested 11 years in the TO this made a lot sense. Bring in a younger coach and reinvigorate the program with fresh eyes but the same basic strategy.
  2. Go to the modern offense and hope you can recruit. The challenge is you will be more like everyone else so you had better be able to out coach your peers.

What we have is a guy who can recruit (Option 2, check), but can't coach (Option 2, bad).

I'm very pessimistic this morning. We are on a path to becoming Vandy or Bowling Green on a permanent basis.
Yeah this is what frustrates me the most. College football’s middle class is amidst going extinct right now, so this is the absolute worst time to have given a relatively unproven coach a long term contract for a rebuild. Even non pessimistic minded folks would have to admit the wrong hire is a potential death kiss to the program in this current scenario.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Air Raid? Might work with Yates. Because no way Sims can do it from what I saw last night.

And while we are on that, what the heck was CGC looking at that made him start Sims over Yates?
Because he’s biGTime ??? Idk. Recruiting rankings are great and all. How you prepare them, how they play and how you put them in positions to win is what matters. Coaching staff is failing the first and last.