Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We’re still undecided about how to interpret history. As long as one, highly overwrought history prevails, we will see what we are currently seeing now over and over. All the anti-Paul Johnson juice is precisely why we got Collins.
This is a good point. With both Gailey and Johnson the narrative was that we were not winning enough games. For whatever reason. But, we were winning more than we lost most seasons. I do not think it matters which offense we run, the defense has to occasionally force a change of possession. It has been a long time since we had a dependable defense game after game.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Everyone dogs on the flexbone, but 6 of the top 10 teams in the country use elements of it. Go count how many times OK St lined up in the inverted veer formation last night. It was in the shotgun but it’s the same stuff we ran with Vad.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Orange Bowls, ACC championships, beating UGA, and generally relevant and competitive football. And now this sh*t show ? Ffs. I’ll hang up and listen

it was all sunshine and roses wasn't it? folks' memories of the last regime are like childbirth - the second it's over, it was a wonderful experience. they forget all the pain and screaming that happened just hours before.

collins' only chance to save himself is to make wholesale staff changes. keep the performers, ditch the rest. if he does that, he probably buys a little more time to see how it works out, mostly due to his buyout. if he doesn't do that, then he should walk with the rest of them. I think his only chance is go dabo with strong assistants.

maybe tstan pulls an o'leary hire, with a guy that could take over as the head man, but I sort of doubt that happens.

if collins sticks around, he should work with a pr person over the off season to realize how off-putting he can be, and get that fixed.

I really don't know, and am too lazy to look it up, but how did the Beavers do when tstan was out there?

I am sure tstan understands the fanbase meltdown. if he knows how to fix it remains to be seen. i don't think anything happens until after next saturday.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
We’re still undecided about how to interpret history. As long as one, highly overwrought history prevails, we will see what we are currently seeing now over and over. All the anti-Paul Johnson juice is precisely why we got Collins.

We can move on from flexbone option football if don’t keep using it to justify why we needed Collins so bad. My god, some people on this site were even saying that having a tight-end would raise us to a new promised land of football prominence.

You can’t make this stuff up.

except now you have folks saying 3O, or some CPJ coaching tree variant, is the only way we win. the current regime obviously ain't cutting it, but going back to the future ain't either.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
except now you have folks saying 3O, or some CPJ coaching tree variant, is the only way we win. the current regime obviously ain't cutting it, but going back to the future ain't either.
The only reason CPJ is a conversation point is bc the CGC folks and CGC himself disparage our previous staff to defend the mess they have put us in. Tech football won games before CPJ and will after. Just not with this clown

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
it was all sunshine and roses wasn't it? folks' memories of the last regime are like childbirth - the second it's over, it was a wonderful experience. they forget all the pain and screaming that happened just hours before.

collins' only chance to save himself is to make wholesale staff changes. keep the performers, ditch the rest. if he does that, he probably buys a little more time to see how it works out, mostly due to his buyout. if he doesn't do that, then he should walk with the rest of them. I think his only chance is go dabo with strong assistants.

maybe tstan pulls an o'leary hire, with a guy that could take over as the head man, but I sort of doubt that happens.

if collins sticks around, he should work with a pr person over the off season to realize how off-putting he can be, and get that fixed.

I really don't know, and am too lazy to look it up, but how did the Beavers do when tstan was out there?

I am sure tstan understands the fanbase meltdown. if he knows how to fix it remains to be seen. i don't think anything happens until after next saturday.

He was only there one season. He didn't really have a chance to affect anything. They were 2-10

stech81

Helluva Engineer

The best thing Tstan could do is make CGC an asst AD and start looking for a real coach. But that may not work cause we would still be paying him. Guess he just better call the big money guys again.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Ive been a Tech fan since 1980. I did not go to school at Tech because I was offered a scholarship to play baseball at Jacksonville State. I have been a season ticket holder since 1993. All of my kids are sidewalk fans, even the one who goes to school in Athens. It kills me to say this but I will not buy season tickets next year if CGC is still here.

GTcanWINagain

Banned

If you read Todd Stansbury’s biography, you will see that he presided over the termination of the ETSU Football program while he was AD there! Now, that’s no longer shocking!

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
The only reason CPJ is a conversation point is bc the CGC folks and CGC himself disparage our previous staff to defend the mess they have put us in. Tech football won games before CPJ and will after. Just not with this clown

don't think that's true. partially, maybe, but not totally.

bringing back the option is brought up constantly. maybe it's natural, because the last guy was more successful than the current guy, but i don't see it.

i'm not convinced that offensive scheme is our problem.

i also don't believe, as has been referenced here, that CPJ could've had 100 recruiting assistants, and things would've been any different with his recruiting.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I know the money is difficult to do anything right now with Collins. But the flipside is what happens to donations and cancellation of Season Tickets if he is still around. I know people had advocated getting new coordinators and certainly it appears both of the current coordinators are in over their head and neither does a good job of in game adjustments. But getting coordinators commit to a very short term job (with Collins clearly in major trouble in terms of longevity) or being able to implement a scheme in a year is not very realistic. Plus realize with current Portal rules you could lose a significant portion of your best players. Whatever we do next is going to have to take considerable risks because we don't have the money to compete with the majority of the Power 5 schools. I think coordinators from top programs may not make sense because they are use to having superior talent. But I think either that or a head coach from Group of 5 (or very successful head coach from FCS) is really our choice with the money we have to offer.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know how good he would be as a coach. He is winning because he is brining in a bunch of P5 level guys and beating a bunch of teams that don't have close to that level of talent. That's why I'm also very wary of coaches who win in the G5 that rely heavily on transfers. Mike Houston was a huge red flag for me because of how many P5 guys he had at James Madison.
Once he earns his coaching stripes, he is headed to FSU