Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

GTcanWINagain

Banned
Y’all want a new coach? Start here.
No thanks. That’s where you give funds to the AD who “sees progress” by Collins & Company. The GT Alumni and Fans who actually fund the GTAA’s activities are going to need accountability from the AD. If you are shilling for him then you probably have access to him. Let him know the natives are more than relentless as I have no idea if he is aware or cares since he is not making himself available to his constituency.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Again, nobody ever said it didn't.

The point is that Tech wanted to do better than mediocre. That people can't grab hold of that idea is simply mind boggling.
What kind of twisted reality do you live in? ACC championships and multiple trips to the Orange bowl and beating the Mutts at least 30% of time is mediocre? Its people who wanted more without realizing what we had and not supporting a future hall of fame coach that got us into this mess

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
it was all sunshine and roses wasn't it? folks' memories of the last regime are like childbirth - the second it's over, it was a wonderful experience. they forget all the pain and screaming that happened just hours before.

collins' only chance to save himself is to make wholesale staff changes. keep the performers, ditch the rest. if he does that, he probably buys a little more time to see how it works out, mostly due to his buyout. if he doesn't do that, then he should walk with the rest of them. I think his only chance is go dabo with strong assistants.

maybe tstan pulls an o'leary hire, with a guy that could take over as the head man, but I sort of doubt that happens.

if collins sticks around, he should work with a pr person over the off season to realize how off-putting he can be, and get that fixed.

I really don't know, and am too lazy to look it up, but how did the Beavers do when tstan was out there?

I am sure tstan understands the fanbase meltdown. if he knows how to fix it remains to be seen. i don't think anything happens until after next saturday.
No but it was not this giant pile of CRAP that those who want "better" got us into.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
A one off fluke. Fact is, he started out 9-4, then 11-3, then it was mediocrity or losing every year after that with the exception of 2014. Let's review:

2010: 6-7
2012: 7-7
2013: 7-6
2015: 3-9
2017: 5-6
2018: 7-6

You can't maintain any sort of winning success with an offense most high schools don't even run anymore.
So you throw out all the good years and leave the mediocre and bad ones? Interesting way to judge a coach.

I for one at I’m going .500 or just above most years if we build towards something and post a big season every 5 years or so. That’s pretty much what everyone outside the factories that’s any good does.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
Roll you eyes all you want but at least we were almost alwasy competitive.
No, we were not.

Johnson had an overall win rate of .590%. That's it. Tech wanted to do better and believed they could. So do I, but I don't think Collins was the guy to do it.

By comparison, Richt had a .728% win rate at UGA and he got canned. Why? He just couldn't win the big game. UGA wanted better, so they made a change.

You make all of this personal. It isn't. If you're content with mediocrity and being an also ran, that's your decision. But don't hate on everybody around you that wants to try to do better. To improve. To move up in the world rather than sit there doing nothing.

slugboy

Staff member
How can we get a Defensive Coordinator like what Army has? Oh maybe if we had not paid him to go away because we had Thacker coming in. CGC, he has a level lf excellence for picking bad coordinators

Monken had Jay Bateman for four years, before UNC made him a bigger offer. Then, he added Woody. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he has repeated success with defensive coordinators. I think he sets them up for success.

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
No thanks. That’s where you give funds to the AD who “sees progress” by Collins & Company. The GT Alumni and Fans who actually fund the GTAA’s activities are going to need accountability from the AD. If you are shilling for him then you probably have access to him. Let him know the natives are more than relentless as I have no idea if he is aware or cares since he is not making himself available to his constituency.
Nah, shep. Your logic is twisted. Doesn’t matter who the AD is or isn’t. The program needs money to improve and this is how we give…not just to football, but to all sports as well as the athletic scholarships which directly benefit for the athletes.

And let’s get something straight, chief - I shill for nobody unless I’m on their payroll and even then it’s a stretch. What I put here is being a realist.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
How has this gone back to a CPJ postmortem? He has retired and isn’t coming back.
I think the results speak for themselves, GC is half the coach PJ is. But just because GC sucks doesn’t mean we can’t find a good coach that doesn’t run the option.

I’ve said it before, the magic was in PJ, not in the option. He was a coach that maximized his talent and found weaknesses in defenses and attacked. He took a RB and made him a starting ACC QB and went to a bowl game with him. He took a QB that nobody else wanted and drilled VT at home running QB power.

I will agree that whomever we go with next, we need to run a David strategy vs a Goliath strategy on offense. I don’t care if it’s the triple, the hurry-up, the air raid, or a I form power running offense, we need to differentiate and do it WELL. As I’ve also said before, Monken is the only option coach I would consider, because he’s a damn good coach who happens to run the option vs. an option coach.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Giving to a specific sport other than FB to the Alex Tharpe fund still helps the overall athletic budget. Some programs are pretty well funded through endowments but they have earned it. Non revenue sports usually need FB and BB revenue for funding. We are struggling to do that. What hurts is when there are no donations at all.

slugboy

Staff member
  • When O’Leary left, I thought “if we can keep the offense close to where it is and fix the defense, we’ll be a contender”. The offense had been amazing until then end.
    • Under Chan, the defense got better, but the offense got worse. For a while, it was a lot worse.
      We did have a team towards the end that was really good, though.
  • When we fired Chan, I thought, “if Johnson fixes the offense and the defense can stay close to where it is, we’re golden”.
    • The offense improved massively, and for a while it was amazing, but the defense declined massively too.
    • The offensive improvement was enough to make up for the defensive decline.
  • Then, when Johnson left, I thought “if we can keep the offense mediocre, but we can get the defense above average, we have a chance”
    • We accomplished a middling offense, but an inconsistent one. Our defense has actually declined.
I don’t think it’s just me. In coaching transitions, it’s natural to think “we’ll fix the broken stuff, but the unbroken stuff will stay fine”. That hasn’t happened over the last 20+ years, though.

We can’t keep screwing this up. It would be hard for a decent coach not to improve across the board (except for the running backs). (Please, please, don’t screw up the running backs. ). The key is, we shouldn’t micromanage this, but we need to be much smarter about our hiring and our environment than we have in the past.

=======

2015 came up a couple of times in this or one of the other threads. Not all 3-9 seasons are created equal

That team needed bad luck to go 3-9. It was a horrible season to watch, and it felt like we were going down the tubes. We turned it around the next season.

Our current team has enough talent to win. I say that because I believe we have more talent than teams that are winning. It did last year, too. But our 3 win seasons haven’t been as good as that 2015 3 win season.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What if I’m poor and the only thing I can afford to do is complain ?
Just tell them that support that is given can be taken away. That's the general comment I made to Homer Rice in a letter when I scarcely had a farthing to my name protesting the intended dumping of the greatest play-by-play man the Jackets ever had, Al Ciraldo, and he actually sent me a personal letter back (informing me it was not his decision). But that was a long time ago. Much has changed since then, and not all of it for the better.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
GC seemed to be an up and coming coach and a lights out recruiter. Tech had failed to recruit the talent rich ATL metro area. GC had close personal ties to high school coaches. Tashard Choice has been a recruiting savant. The personal marketing approach of GC has created increased good will and GT has racked up in recruiting. Fire him…What next?…………Hmmmmmm…………
1. Good will and recruiting Ties take a Mike Tyson uppercut after a series of body blows.
2. A small college coach in his ascension continues to cut his baby teeth at at Tech’s expense.
3. Better players reconsider their futures.
4. Recruits reconsider their commitment.
5. Tech recruiting basis takes a couple of steps back , but not to the Johnson Abyss.
6. Bandwagon interest in the program worsens to levels that threaten record low levels.
7. Saban whose ATL recruiting has waned recently since Kirby and GC came along, gives GC an invitation to Saban’s school of sports administration, entrepreneurship and daily coaching and long range planning.
8. GC consults and GC becomes recruiting coordinator for Bama in Georgia……
9. OR Tech hires the next Bobby Dodd and instantly starts winning with the current crowd and recruiting to the toughest, most academically talented school in the south becomes easy…..
😁Too much time on my han…. wait. Gotta go, time to carry the garbage out…..

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
How has this gone back to a CPJ postmortem? He has retired and isn’t coming back.
I think the results speak for themselves, GC is half the coach PJ is. But just because GC sucks doesn’t mean we can’t find a good coach that doesn’t run the option.

I’ve said it before, the magic was in PJ, not in the option. He was a coach that maximized his talent and found weaknesses in defenses and attacked. He took a RB and made him a starting ACC QB and went to a bowl game with him. He took a QB that nobody else wanted and drilled VT at home running QB power.

I will agree that whomever we go with next, we need to run a David strategy vs a Goliath strategy on offense. I don’t care if it’s the triple, the hurry-up, the air raid, or a I form power running offense, we need to differentiate and do it WELL. As I’ve also said before, Monken is the only option coach I would consider, because he’s a damn good coach who happens to run the option vs. an option coach.
I just want a good coach. I don't give a damn whether he runs the 3O, the single wing, the run and shoot, or whatever. Just give me a COACH.