Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
A few weeks ago I didn’t think there was a chance he’d be gone for at least one more year. After the skid has continued in the way it has, along with a A potential 50-60 point loss to UGA as an exclamation point…I actually think there is a slight chance he could be axed. The media has seemed to officially turn on him. He feels like a dead man walking.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
It’s crazy that we’ll have to wait and keep him a year to let 6 or 7 million (correct me if amount is wrong) roll off his contract while the program plunges deeper into the abyss. Everyone including the players will be under the cloud that this is a go nowhere situation with a fire coming at the end of next year. You would think our university could find the money to get rid of him and hopefully stay away from these stupid contracts going forward.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe he will be gone two weeks after uga. They will settle it out that will work out for both parties. He will be force to fire staff and he will decline then they will work out an exit plan for all of them

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe he will be gone two weeks after uga. They will settle it out that will work out for both parties. He will be force to fire staff and he will decline then they will work out an exit plan for all of them
Do you think they could work it out 2.5 weeks after the UGA game instead so that we can sign a top 25 recruiting class first? (assuming the class stays true to their verbal commitments which is probably a pretty big assumption)

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
They also barely beat ECU, Troy, and Vandy this year. They were extremely close to only winning 3 or fewer games themselves. Had Tech not blown the game against The Citadel the entire Collins tenure may look drastically different. Of course that’s not how it played out and we are where we are, but I’m not convinced Carolina will have improved their standing with Beamer at the helm when it’s said and done. He’ll get them to the Birmingham Bowl this year which is a better position than Tech will be in, but it’s not like they’re turning a clear corner.
Our HC has lost two of his last three games against FCS teams and opened this season with a loss at home to Northern Illinois. Not sure we’re in the position to question other programs’ wins.

PaulGT72

Georgia Tech Fan
At least living near UNC, I can remind associates that the game with the Heels was the highlight of our season. They make that "I'm embarrassed" grin and then shift the conversation to the balance of our season whereupon I make that "I'm embarrassed" grin.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
(Bear with me, long-*** post.)

Stepping aside and attempting to look at it objectively, this is a fascinating situation from a hiring strategy and budgeting sense.

First off, I’m shocked at the lack of performance (as are most of us). All else aside, I expected at least some performance from the coordinators and assistants. Should we retain them?

On defense, it’s obviously pretty bad. Looking at assistants, I have seen the D-ends getting some good pressure over the past few games. Honestly not sure if that’s play calling or the group, but I can give Marco Coleman the benefit of the doubt, because their performance seems to be somewhat consistent. But the linebackers are meh, and the secondary has gotten increasingly worse not just every season, but every GAME.

Offense, meanwhile, is not awful, but decidedly mediocre. I’m still surprised the O-line under Key is still so bad 3 seasons in. Choice seems to be the only offensive coach that’s not…well, offensive. Would hate to lose him. But I suppose one man cannot make a coaching staff.

All of this is to say, a common (& perhaps justified) thought on this board and elsewhere is that we should clean house of coordinators and assistants, and give CGC a better OC and DC and maybe an experienced analyst to coach HIM up.

But I think there’s a fallacy there. Consider:

1 - common logic has it that the buyout amount goes down dramatically after next year. This means if we retain CGC, he’s at best a lame duck next year in need of a serious change in results.

2 - what coordinator - up and coming or not - will want to come in under a coach who the economics say only has 1 year remaining unless he turns it around dramatically?

I would love to have someone like Nate Woody back as DC. But someone with his talent would be a fool to come here. First off, Woody has already been the victim of bad timing once. Are we going to be able to turn this around with an unproven DC & OC? Particularly ones whom Collins hires?

& 3 - overall, what up-and-coming coordinator will want to coach under Collins given his record - and his, well, schtick?
—-

In addition to that, let’s look at the buyout. Per the terms of his contract, If we fire Collins after this year, we owe him $13.8M (minus whatever he’s hired for in another role - which let’s face it, won’t likely happen, so let’s not even consider that).

Meanwhile, If we fire him after next season - ostensibly to save a lot of money - the buyout goes down to 7.2M. But we have to pay him for another god-awful season (I.e., next season) of “coaching” at $3.3M. So really the cost of keeping him for another season, then letting him go is actually $10.5M.

Ergo, effectively, it’s not a $7M difference in cost - because retaining him next year will cost us $3.3M, and for that we’ll get another season of his ‘performance.’ That’s not exactly money well spent - if we’re spending that either way, will it be worth that much to NOT have him on the sidelines?.

IOW, it only costs us an extra $3.3M net on paper to fire him after this season. The rest, we’re paying either way.

We also have to consider other costs. What happens to season ticket sales next season?

And then there’s the team. Part of the strategy for hiring CGC was to maybe not have huge success, but to at least be mediocre and to leave the cupboard full for the next coach. Most of us can agree we failed on the mediocre part of that.
At this point, however, I find myself thinking: Tech recruits are smart. They’ll likely not buy the “we’re turning this around’ story for that much longer. And much like coordinators worth a salt, most smart recruits will think twice about wanting to play for a dead man walking.

And that’s not even considering current players. We now have a slew of talented players - and most talented players aren’t accustomed to losing. Most don’t like it. I wonder how long it will be before CGC loses control of the locker room? Will we start to lose talented players to the transfer portal?

All things considered, there’s a definite potential for a sunk cost fallacy here. The question being, is it worth saving $3.3M (the difference in cost after keeping him 1 more year) on paper, but suffering the fallout of another 3-win season? Or do we punt now, eat the extra $3.3M cost, and move on?

$3.3M is a lot of cash - but at this point, I see the potential damages of keeping him around for another season to be equal to or worse than that payout. Seems like a big gamble whether or not current recruits and players stay at this point, or whether season tickets remain the same in a non-COFH year. I personally wouldn’t want to keep throwing good money after bad - Will be interesting to see what Stansbury does.

(Apologies for the long post. If you’ve read this, you are a gentleman and a scholar for watching as I worked this all out on digital paper).

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
can't wait that long. If there is some sort of settlement, that needs to be taking place now between TStan and Collins' agent. Those details can be ironed out and then ready to go the day after the season.
the sooner the cut is made, the better - for everybody. Gets a new staff in and on the recruiting trail and in the weight room putting in an all-new S&C regimen.

GTBlaze

Banned
This might not be the popular answer on here and most will yell at me but I truly think of CHC would just focus on freaking football and surrounded himself with decent staff he could actually do ok here.

There has just been way too much noise outside of football that he was involved with. I mean everything from all of the branding.. stadium stuff.. videos.. uniforms.. locker room.. Waffle House.. etc etc etc etc

My god the first season was video after video after video after video. That **** is very time consuming

I want to see the man succeed because it’s his dream job and I hate to see someone so passionate about something crumble before their eyes and that is what I saw today in the press conference.

Sure, if the contract was 4 years or whatever then he by all means deserves to be fired after this season but considering how ****ty of a contract we have with him and we are screwed im willing to give the man a little more of a chance only if he focuses on the X and Os and leave all of the other non football stuff alone.

In addition, I would like to see him grow some balls and clean house (at least on the defensive side of the ball)
I’m not impressed at all with the offense but let’s face the facts.. if we had somewhat of a decent defense we would be bowling this season with the points our offense has put up in some games

The above the line crap and all of the gimmick **** takes time and effort to put together and just creates more time away from actually being a damn coach

It’s almost like he is doing everything (with the rebranding, shoes, hats, uniforms, t shirts, new field design, etc etc etc) - which he is doing a solid job at but he is forgetting the most important thing. COACHING.

By the way.. I do hate money down. I’m not giving him props on that cheesy garbage but everything else brand wise he has done a pretty solid job.

Hell.. move him into the branding/recruiting role and hire a good coach and deduct his pay and I’m sure he would be thrilled with that because it’s obvious that he like to do marketing stuff instead of coaching

Last edited:

PaulGT72

Georgia Tech Fan
can't wait that long. If there is some sort of settlement, that needs to be taking place now between TStan and Collins' agent. Those details can be ironed out and then ready to go the day after the season.
the sooner the cut is made, the better - for everybody. Gets a new staff in and on the recruiting trail and in the weight room putting in an all-new S&C regimen.
To me, Geoff did not sound as upbeat during the post-game presser as usual. IIRC, he said (several times) that all aspects of the program are evaluated after every game. I wonder if he has already been told (and realizes) that some of the staff has to go or he is out this year. Then again, what coach with any self-respect could feel upbeat at all after losing as we did.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
I have seen enough. The fundamentals are complete dog **** on this team. It’s clear that Collins and staff cannot coach, literally. We need the boosters to step in and do something.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
To me, Geoff did not sound as upbeat during the post-game presser as usual. IIRC, he said (several times) that all aspects of the program are evaluated after every game. I wonder if he has already been told (and realizes) that some of the staff has to go or he is out this year. Then again, what coach with any self-respect could feel upbeat at all after losing as we did.
He says they evaluate.
But does anything even look like it changes? Even a little bit?
I think it's just more empty talk from Collins.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line is that he’s the coach for another 2 seasons. Get behind him and help him out. He needs upgrades at both coordinators spots. That’s the mindset that’s needed forward. It would be a fiscal disaster other wise.
He can't coach. He does not know what he's doing. He is completely overmatched at game management and game preparation.
New coordinators may help but when Collins is still at the top of the totem pole, it will remain bad. It won't be as bad as shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic, but it won't be totally removed from it.
I'd rather take the fiscal disaster than face continued seasons of empty Bobby Dodd Stadium.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Bottom line is that he’s the coach for another 2 seasons. Get behind him and help him out. He needs upgrades at both coordinators spots. That’s the mindset that’s needed forward. It would be a fiscal disaster other wise.

He's lost the fan base. The fiscal disaster would be keeping him.

We can't afford sub 30k attendance next year, this 3-year lull has already lost thousands of fans *forever*

He's done