Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
South Carolina buying a guy out for $14M is equivalent to us doing so for like $6M. They have much more disposable income than Tech does. Sure it’s a nice story, but the scenarios are completely different.

The thing is, they really don't. Will Muschamp was going to stay and extra year for buyout reasons until a mega donor cut the check to do it (Mr. Rice of Motley-Rice, the group that sued Big Tobacco). But the point wasn't to say "they have millions, so we should too" it was more pointing out the type of immediate benefits a similar type of program got from firing the guy that clearly wasn't cut out for the job. Next weekend is going to be a sellout vs Clemson for them and they are going to pack the stadium to start the next season. Todd Stansbury should really look up I-20 and see the types of immediate benefits that can come from fixing a mistake.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What you guys aren't taking into account is that everyone has a great offense now. Scheme advantage isn't much of a thing anymore. CPJ quit because he saw that cfb was becoming an arms race instead of a chess match. We gotta work with the reality we are in, not the one we wish we had.
I believe CPJ quit because he got tired of being undercut by people who were supposed to be on his side. “High school offense, poor recruiter, no NFL prospects, everyone has figured out this offense,” were all things that opposing coaches dreamed up to negative recruit against Tech but it got to where we heard this more from our own fans and big donors than anyone. Once the media picked that up it was an annual litany. That’s got to be a drain year after year after year. He asked for more money for recruiting but never got anything close to what was needed to catch up to other schools. I think Tech wore him out.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I’m a life long Sidewalk fan with no ties with the school and I got a 11 year old and 8 year old and I’m trying my best to keep them tech fans and they are but it breaks my heart when they say daddy we suck and they are ashamed to to say there tech fans at school.
I too am a sidewalk fan who started bringing my daughter to GT games when she was 8. She’s now 21. Since her first game, she has been to almost every home game as well as games in Athens, Clemson, Jacksonville, Blacksburg, and Charlotte. This year has been such a letdown for her that she chose not to go to the BC game and is totally uninterested in going to the Dwag game. I’m afraid she’s not the only one losing interest in GT football.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
GT fan since 2008 when I was a freshman at Tech. We were always competitive and won a lot of games. Paul retired because he wasn't getting the support that other ACC coaches did from their AD and schools in dollars and facilities. It is an arms race. I hate that Geoff got more support then trashed the guy who was a WINNER on his way out... before he had proven anything himself. Geoff trashed the triple option, the recruits, the former players, the coaches, the brand, everything. I just hated how he was not gracious...
He said the things that a lot of alumni wanted to hear. Ever heard of the old saying… “be careful what you wish for”?

GTcanWINagain

Banned
Dooley went 5-19 in the conference in 3 years at one of the richest schools in the country. Even Geoff has done better than that. Petrino and Muschamp both had some serious off-field issues. I don’t think CGC will ever be a head coach at the D1 level again (FBS or FCS) he will definitely find another job. He is still a very successful recruiter who has a good coaching tree. It just seems like he isn’t a good enough leader to be a HC
I am fairly sure Kennesaw State would not even interview Collins…

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The thing is, they really don't. Will Muschamp was going to stay and extra year for buyout reasons until a mega donor cut the check to do it (Mr. Rice of Motley-Rice, the group that sued Big Tobacco). But the point wasn't to say "they have millions, so we should too" it was more pointing out the type of immediate benefits a similar type of program got from firing the guy that clearly wasn't cut out for the job. Next weekend is going to be a sellout vs Clemson for them and they are going to pack the stadium to start the next season. Todd Stansbury should really look up I-20 and see the types of immediate benefits that can come from fixing a mistake.
They also barely beat ECU, Troy, and Vandy this year. They were extremely close to only winning 3 or fewer games themselves. Had Tech not blown the game against The Citadel the entire Collins tenure may look drastically different. Of course that’s not how it played out and we are where we are, but I’m not convinced Carolina will have improved their standing with Beamer at the helm when it’s said and done. He’ll get them to the Birmingham Bowl this year which is a better position than Tech will be in, but it’s not like they’re turning a clear corner.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If you don't follow CFB outside of Tech, USC just became bowl eligible tonight after winning 3 games in each of the last two seasons and Vegas having their wins at 3.5. They paid Will Muschamp something like $13million in a buyout and brought in the coach they wanted this year. FCS transfer at QB, transfers filling in the secondary because most left after the coaching change, and a coaching staff that maybe has 1 big name on it. They are definitely a model of just biting the bullet and moving forward and getting the right guy instead of the flashy guy. Just a thought I'd put in here because there's no reason we can't do the same.

You're attributing that situation to the wrong factor. The important thing isn't that they made the hire when they did. It's that they made the right hire. Whenever we make a change, the important thing is we make the right hire. And there is no reason to believe that we are more likely to make the right hire firing Collins now for an extra 6 mil than waiting a year. In fact it would likely make it that much harder to make the right hire. We're more likely to end up with the football equivalent of Brian Gregory if we fired Collins this year. Fortunately unlike with basketball there is an upside to waiting another year.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I am fairly sure Kennesaw State would not even interview Collins…
Many would’ve said that about Petrino, Muschamp, Dooley, and Butch as well. Yet they still all have jobs. Even Bill Lewis made his way back into football. Collins will get another job in football if he wants one. His next one certainly won’t be at the P5 level, or maybe not even FBS, and definitely not as a HC, but everybody can see he’s still a successful recruiter with a solid pedigree as a defensive coach. Somebody will hire him, especially since he’ll come basically free because Tech will still being paying him

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Why don't you have a word with waller, Demaryius, Stephen hill, smelter, Dwyer, Attauchu, Gotsis... If you're NFL talent, they will find you. We just couldn't recruit as well because CPJ didn't have the same level of resources as CGC. Not saying CPJ is as good as CGC in recruiting, but looking at 09 and 10 classes, CPJ wasn't a slouch in recruiting when he had some recruiting resources.
The guys you named are great and were special in their own right but why don't you have a word with high school football players and why they, as a majority, don't think they can get to the next level from the 3O. From personal experience, even mentioning some of the names you mentioned does nothing to convince high school football players that the 3O won't be a hindrance if you are good enough.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
They also barely beat ECU, Troy, and Vandy this year. They were extremely close to only winning 3 or fewer games themselves. Had Tech not blown the game against The Citadel the entire Collins tenure may look drastically different. Of course that’s not how it played out and we are where we are, but I’m not convinced Carolina will have improved their standing with Beamer at the helm when it’s said and done. He’ll get them to the Birmingham Bowl this year which is a better position than Tech will be in, but it’s not like they’re turning a clear corner.

Those were not pretty wins, but I will say Beamer had to start a grad assistant at QB who had retired from play in those games. Good coaches don't lose to really bad teams and can get their teams to play hard for anybody. Either way, we aren't going to hire Shane Beamer so I'm not here to argue that. I'm just trying to say firing a guy even though he has a massive buyout can immediately turn things around for a program and the powers that be (AD) should look at the school 3 hours away and take the advice.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I'm a quote guy at work, always gloaming around for something relevant. In Portsmouth, Ohio, there are a series of murals along the Ohio river, one of which depicts Branch Rickey, a local Scioto county guy. “Trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late", Rickey once said. If I stretch the application a bit, it feels as if it might apply to CGC in our case. One more year might be too late.