Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
If recruiting tops out in the 20-30 range each year, how do we aspire to get into the top 15 in the rankings each year without a niche offense? There are only about 5-10 coaches out there who are good enough to take recruiting classes in the 20-30 range and consistently finish seasons ranked in the top 15 so the likelihood of us getting one of the coaches is slim to none. Meanwhile, running a niche offense (notice I didn't say it necessarily has to be the triple option) gives us a significant competitive advantage
Not saying im opposed to any of the other niche offenses but the 3O has run (no pun intended) it's course here. Every high school kid recruited feels they have a shot at the NFL and as much as if did not like to admit it highly rated kids don't feel they can show NFL scouts they are ready for the next level if they're playing in the 3O. But I wouldn't be at all opposed to some kind of schematic advantage in a different type of niche offense and recruiting classes in the top 20s each year

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Not saying im opposed to any of the other niche offenses but the 3O has run (no pun intended) it's course here. Every high school kid recruited feels they have a shot at the NFL and as much as if did not like to admit it highly rated kids don't feel they can show NFL scouts they are ready for the next level if they're playing in the 3O. But I wouldn't be at all opposed to some kind of schematic advantage in a different type of niche offense and recruiting classes in the top 20s each year
Why don't you have a word with waller, Demaryius, Stephen hill, smelter, Dwyer, Attauchu, Gotsis... If you're NFL talent, they will find you. We just couldn't recruit as well because CPJ didn't have the same level of resources as CGC. Not saying CPJ is as good as CGC in recruiting, but looking at 09 and 10 classes, CPJ wasn't a slouch in recruiting when he had some recruiting resources.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
C****** will be picked up by an SEC school. They have a circle jerk of Rolodexes so he’ll get another job especially since GT will be paying his salary. Then he’ll strut around as if he‘s the man. He’s that guy at the gym who never works out but is drinking buddies with all the big lifters so he gets the run of the place.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
Is there any evidence that would suggest he will start winning?

I got a kick out of reading his "plan" for Georgia Tech. He spoke as if he was an expert on turning around college programs and I thought ... isn't his ONLY experience as a HC the two mediocre years at Temple followed by ... Tech? What experience does he have? Answer: None.

He needs to win if only to find a graceful way to get "recruited away" from Tech. I think he's finished as a serious coach.
Zero evidence he will start winning, zero.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The only win he had at Tech was for himself when he convinced Tstan into hiring him into an insane contract where he’ll be rich for being of the worst college coaches in the country.
Who is the idiot. The idiot, or the idiot that follows him?

TStan as responsible. Needs to be held accountable. Big decisions that end up bad should have big consequences

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Are you drunk? PJ landed 2 4 star recruits his entire time at Tech, everyone else was 3 stars and lower. The administration let this program go to crap by keeping Gailey and PJ far too long. You have had basically 2 decades of garbage and the fans are sick of it. They have the money to put into education but they can’t seem to muster up some dough for a REAL coach? Give me a break, you reap what you sow
Orange Bowls, ACC championships, beating UGA, and generally relevant and competitive football. And now this sh*t show ? Ffs. I’ll hang up and listen

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
If you don't follow CFB outside of Tech, USC just became bowl eligible tonight after winning 3 games in each of the last two seasons and Vegas having their wins at 3.5. They paid Will Muschamp something like $13million in a buyout and brought in the coach they wanted this year. FCS transfer at QB, transfers filling in the secondary because most left after the coaching change, and a coaching staff that maybe has 1 big name on it. They are definitely a model of just biting the bullet and moving forward and getting the right guy instead of the flashy guy. Just a thought I'd put in here because there's no reason we can't do the same.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
201 pages and still going!!!!
heres-your-sign-duh.gif

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Criminal acts, serious NCAA infractions, scandalous personal behavior, the usual. Losing doesn't qualify.
You would think these contracts would have clauses to fire based on losing instead of guarantees if he gets fired. We need to rethink how we write these things. It’s happened way too much where we are buying out large contracts.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If you don't follow CFB outside of Tech, USC just became bowl eligible tonight after winning 3 games in each of the last two seasons and Vegas having their wins at 3.5. They paid Will Muschamp something like $13million in a buyout and brought in the coach they wanted this year. FCS transfer at QB, transfers filling in the secondary because most left after the coaching change, and a coaching staff that maybe has 1 big name on it. They are definitely a model of just biting the bullet and moving forward and getting the right guy instead of the flashy guy. Just a thought I'd put in here because there's no reason we can't do the same.
South Carolina buying a guy out for $14M is equivalent to us doing so for like $6M. They have much more disposable income than Tech does. Sure it’s a nice story, but the scenarios are completely different.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
GT fan since 2008 when I was a freshman at Tech. We were always competitive and won a lot of games. Paul retired because he wasn't getting the support that other ACC coaches did from their AD and schools in dollars and facilities. It is an arms race. I hate that Geoff got more support then trashed the guy who was a WINNER on his way out... before he had proven anything himself. Geoff trashed the triple option, the recruits, the former players, the coaches, the brand, everything. I just hated how he was not gracious...
I was a freshman in 1970 and totally agree with you!!