Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The problem with many of our fans is two-fold:

1. Too hung up on recruiting.
2. They don’t understand the gargantuan difference between top 5-10 recruiting & everyone else.

They believe GT should be like all other football factories, and that is not what the Institute is or ever will be.
If you’re an alumnus, remember drown proofing class? What was that about? Saturday mornings, omg!
Just part of the overall shaft that is Ma Tech. 🤣

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I have a theory that he is intentionally sucking so bad that he'll get fired this year instead of next. If he gets fired this year, the GTAA owes him 14 million to go away. If he drags it out another year, they'll owe him only 7.2 mil., plus his 2.8 mil. salary for next year which would come to 10 mil. total. So if he knows he can't cut it and is going to bomb out, it's in his interest to get canned now instead of later. He makes 4 million more by getting fired now instead of next year. And on top of that, he gets to spend next year on the French Riviera sunning himself and drinking Mai Tai's instead of on the Flats getting booed.
I don't disagree with your logic, but it's customary for both sides to recognize the obvious and cut a deal. If Geoff does make this money grab attempt, he is finished in all of college football. He probably is anyway, but it isn't easy to deliberately destroy your reputation.

But to support your argument, I did read an interview he gave that if we wasn't a head coach, he'd probably run the front office for an NFL team. (I always maintained that his heart wasn't in actually coaching, but the branding, glitz, etc.)

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you think he is going to quit you must really think not only he but his agent, his attorney, his CPA and his wife are idiots too. People at his age don't leave that kind of money on the table. not matter how much you want him to do so.
I wish I could be as unproductive at my job as GC and still collect a paycheck. I understand leaving money on the table, but you have to be self-aware and realize that if you back down there might be another shot at coaching again somewhere down the road.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I wish I could be as unproductive at my job as GC and still collect a paycheck. I understand leaving money on the table, but you have to be self-aware and realize that if you back down there might be another shot at coaching again somewhere down the road.
Geoff is 50. He has a negative record at Tech and a barely passing experience at Temple. He might be able to coach at a Div II school, but I don't think his ego will allow it. And he didn't have a long track record as DC (a year at MS State and a year at Florida, I think), so that's not a career option either. And he can't parlay his poor results into an ESPN gig either.

My guess is he's contemplating teaching biology and being AD at Marist or ... begging TStan to fire him or he will lose to UGA by 100.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If this year is Geoff Collins' swan song, he's done. I can't imagine anyone hiring him to HC again.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He is not ever going to sniff a deal like this again. Sure, all these guys get jobs again unless they just go to the house like CPJ. But he is NOT leaving that kind of money on the table by quitting. None of us would either to be fair and honest.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If recruiting tops out in the 20-30 range each year, how do we aspire to get into the top 15 in the rankings each year without a niche offense? There are only about 5-10 coaches out there who are good enough to take recruiting classes in the 20-30 range and consistently finish seasons ranked in the top 15 so the likelihood of us getting one of the coaches is slim to none. Meanwhile, running a niche offense (notice I didn't say it necessarily has to be the triple option) gives us a significant competitive advantage

What you guys aren't taking into account is that everyone has a great offense now. Scheme advantage isn't much of a thing anymore. CPJ quit because he saw that cfb was becoming an arms race instead of a chess match. We gotta work with the reality we are in, not the one we wish we had.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Geoff is 50. He has a negative record at Tech and a barely passing experience at Temple. He might be able to coach at a Div II school, but I don't think his ego will allow it. And he didn't have a long track record as DC (a year at MS State and a year at Florida, I think), so that's not a career option either. And he can't parlay is poor results into an ESPN gig either.

My guess is he's contemplating teaching biology at being AD at Marist or ... begging TStan to fire him or he will lose to UGA by 100.
This is where the professional scammer lays it on the line. "You've been had, now here are your alternatives..."

GTcanWINagain

Banned
The problem with many of our fans is two-fold:

1. Too hung up on recruiting.
2. They don’t understand the gargantuan difference between top 5-10 recruiting & everyone else.

They believe GT should be like all other football factories, and that is not what the Institute is or ever will be. We are very different; we must be different for success at a high level in today’s big boy CFB.
Agree that we need realistic aspirations but they must still be high!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Geoff is 50. He has a negative record at Tech and a barely passing experience at Temple. He might be able to coach at a Div II school, but I don't think his ego will allow it. And he didn't have a long track record as DC (a year at MS State and a year at Florida, I think), so that's not a career option either. And he can't parlay his poor results into an ESPN gig either.

My guess is he's contemplating teaching biology and being AD at Marist or ... begging TStan to fire him or he will lose to UGA by 100.
If Will Muschamp, Bobby Petrino, and Butch Jones, and Derek Dooley can find ways to get new jobs in college football, or football in general, anybody can. I’m sure after Geoff gets canned here he will find a job as a DC at a G5 or FCS school until he builds his reputation back up enough to get back into P5 or the NFL.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’m a life long Sidewalk fan with no ties with the school and I got a 11 year old and 8 year old and I’m trying my best to keep them tech fans and they are but it breaks my heart when they say daddy we suck and they are ashamed to to say there tech fans at school.
Just know that the GT family appreciates you being a fan & wanting your little ones to be fans as well.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m a life long Sidewalk fan with no ties with the school and I got a 11 year old and 8 year old and I’m trying my best to keep them tech fans and they are but it breaks my heart when they say daddy we suck and they are ashamed to to say there tech fans at school.
Yeah my daughter and grandkids don’t want to wear the white and gold stuff I send them 😫

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If Will Muschamp, Bobby Petrino, and Butch Jones, and Derek Dooley can find ways to get new jobs in college football, or football in general, anybody can. I’m sure after Geoff gets canned here he will find a job as a DC at a G5 or FCS school until he builds his reputation back up enough to get back into P5 or the NFL.
DC yes, but HC probably not. I'm not sure any of the ones you mentioned sucked this bad.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's alway darkest before the dawn. Tell them the story of Mike Price, the new head coach at Alabama, and how he got busted using his university credit card at strip joints and got canned. That will cheer them up.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

Marist is a winning program with a long history. Do you think they want Collins to do to them what he’s done to us????😂😂

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
They didn't. Jimmy Sexton did. His usual MO is to take failed clients and park them at other universities until he can resign them at a higher rate. I expect Geoff will be washing cars for Kirby Smart or Nick Saban soon.