Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s up to the president to do something about it. He’s got more power than the ad does.
The president may not give a ****. I first graduated in ‘74 then tech was a good institute, but now it’s a great institute. I’m a prof a big mid west uni and get more love re the academics than the football team. So who is the audience? Atlanta area football fans or the rest of the world?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yes he is his boss I know that he would not do it but if I was him I would do everything I could to make him quit. But he won't he wants the money
He has 14 million reasons not to quit. In fact, come to think of it he has 7 million reasons to get his butt fired this year instead of next. Hmmmm.....

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
For those in our fanbase hoping that we go back to the 3O via Jeff Monken need to get past the mindset that we need the 3O to compete with the rest of college football. CPJ had some incredible years here at The Institute but he also had some lean ones. CGC has had nothing but lean years but we don't have to run a niche offense to win both consistently and big. Much better coaching is the main component that is missing from this program right now.

In today's environment, we're not going to recruit well enough to do what everyone else does and win consistently. We absolutely need to create schematic differences - 3O, Air Raid, whatever. Running a vanilla 2021 college offense has no upside.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
The coaches don't work for the Institute. They work for the GTAA.
Not sure about this. You can find their salaries, titles, and employer on OpenGa.gov. Kirb shart, key, Pat, etc. Are all listed. I cannot find Collins though, so you might be correct.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You really need to work on you over reliance on pronouns. If were Tstan you would do everything you could to make Collins quit? I have that correct?

If so, then what is the plan to lure a quality coach here knowing they have an AD that will treat them like **** to try and get them to quit so he can save some money?
Don't worry about my English I went to Southern Tech not Georgia Tech. if you like what you have seen the last 3 years great you will enjoy the next 4 years. First step is to get CGC to quit . then find a coach. Most on here don't think we can find a coach , no it won't be a big name coach. As far as an AD treating him like sh*t I would not worry about that 9 wins in 3 years is bad. Have not looked it up but how may head coach have less the 9 win in 3 years

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
For those in our fanbase hoping that we go back to the 3O via Jeff Monken need to get past the mindset that we need the 3O to compete with the rest of college football. CPJ had some incredible years here at The Institute but he also had some lean ones. CGC has had nothing but lean years but we don't have to run a niche offense to win both consistently and big. Much better coaching is the main component that is missing from this program right now.
If recruiting tops out in the 20-30 range each year, how do we aspire to get into the top 15 in the rankings each year without a niche offense? There are only about 5-10 coaches out there who are good enough to take recruiting classes in the 20-30 range and consistently finish seasons ranked in the top 15 so the likelihood of us getting one of the coaches is slim to none. Meanwhile, running a niche offense (notice I didn't say it necessarily has to be the triple option) gives us a significant competitive advantage

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
In today's environment, we're not going to recruit well enough to do what everyone else does and win consistently. We absolutely need to create schematic differences - 3O, Air Raid, whatever. Running a vanilla 2021 college offense has no upside.
So, so true. We are an international, Metropolitan STEM school. There are no other schools playing division 1 football, except military academies, like us. NONE.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
This sums up exactly how I have felt for the last 2 years. I had season tickets from the 90s right up until 2018 with the exception of a few years where I left Atlanta. When this hire was announced, I believed it would be a mess and just got depressed over the whole decision. I hoped I would be wrong. In a sense, I was wrong because it is worse than I thought it would be.

I too felt that giving Johnson more support would have benefited the program greatly and never understood why so many people got wrapped up in bashing his offense. But we are where we are with the whole situation being one big self inflicted wound.

The responsibility for all of this rests with the AD who should have seen through the BS and known better. If CGC goes, Tstan needs go with him.
I agree. I was a young fan in the Dodd era, fans should realize that tech was a navy rotc school in the 40s and 50s which was an advantage. In the 40s all students wore their navy uniforms to class. Oh and by the way our games can be watched on TV now, unlike the 40, 50s and 60s

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If recruiting tops out in the 20-30 range each year, how do we aspire to get into the top 15 in the rankings each year without a niche offense? There are only about 5-10 coaches out there who are good enough to take recruiting classes in the 20-30 range and consistently finish seasons ranked in the top 15 so the likelihood of us getting one of the coaches is slim to none. Meanwhile, running a niche offense (notice I didn't say it necessarily has to be the triple option) gives us a significant competitive advantage
The problem with many of our fans is two-fold:

1. Too hung up on recruiting.
2. They don’t understand the gargantuan difference between top 5-10 recruiting & everyone else.

They believe GT should be like all other football factories, and that is not what the Institute is or ever will be. We are very different; we must be different for success at a high level in today’s big boy CFB.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
The problem with many of our fans is two-fold:

1. Too hung up on recruiting.
2. They don’t understand the gargantuan difference between top 5-10 recruiting & everyone else.

They believe GT should be like all other football factories, and that is not what the Institute is or ever will be.
The drop off after 10 is insane. Who realistically thinks CGC or anyone can recruit constant top ten classes?

That's why we need to go a different route.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If you think he is going to quit you must really think not only he but his agent, his attorney, his CPA and his wife are idiots too. People at his age don't leave that kind of money on the table. not matter how much you want him to do so.
Don't know them. But you can make anyone want to quit . I know all he wants is the money now and Tech is down the list.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Geoff will never quit. It's not in his interest. He will likely never coach P5 again, which only underscores the pressure to take the arrows and the money.
I have a theory that he is intentionally sucking so bad that he'll get fired this year instead of next. If he gets fired this year, the GTAA owes him 14 million to go away. If he drags it out another year, they'll owe him only 7.2 mil., plus his 2.8 mil. salary for next year which would come to 10 mil. total. So if he knows he can't cut it and is going to bomb out, it's in his interest to get canned now instead of later. He makes 4 million more by getting fired now instead of next year. And on top of that, he gets to spend next year on the French Riviera sunning himself and drinking Mai Tai's instead of on the Flats getting booed.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So, so true. We are an international, Metropolitan STEM school. There are no other schools playing division 1 football, except military academies, like us. NONE.
Geoff talked TStan into the <500 Mile Theory of Football. "Come to Tech Young Man, and you will either go to the NFL or get a great degree." The premise was that we would "retool" GT and develop student athletes in a way to get them to the NFL. (This is what Nick Saban is doing.)

So, they went all in on this. AI2020 was the funding, Collins the recruiter.

Sounds great. But were other schools going to do it? Like say, Alabama? Georgia? LSU? Yes, yes and yes. So you have to assume that you will do it BETTER than these guys if you are to succeed.

No offense, but these two numbskulls just drove Tech football over the proverbial cliff. We are NOT going to beat someone with $200M in spend with a debt-ridden GTAA that can barely afford box lunches for the athletes.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree. I was a young fan in the Dodd era, fans should realize that tech was a navy rotc school in the 40s and 50s which was an advantage. In the 40s all students wore their navy uniforms to class. Oh and by the way our games can be watched on TV now, unlike the 40, 50s and 60s
If you’re an alumnus, remember drown proofing class? What was that about? Saturday mornings, omg!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If you think he is going to quit you must really think not only he but his agent, his attorney, his CPA and his wife are idiots too. People at his age don't leave that kind of money on the table. not matter how much you want him to do so.
Maybe psychedelic drugs...turn on, tune in, drop out.