Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

GTcanWINagain

Banned
So real question at this point, if your Tstan , what do you do knowing the funding issue and that he was your hire.

Do you ask Collins to fire his staff or do you fire Collins / ask him to resign .

We're stuck in a big hole now
If GT Athletics were a business (sarcasm here), the move would be to stop the bleeding of cash. The coordinators cost money but they are completely ineffective so let them go. Just like in corporate world, we have flattened the organization so Collins gets to work a little harder with all of those assistants reporting to him. Pressure does wonders to either motivate or eliminate. I am being a bit cold but so is 55-0 when another Tech HC won there 33-3 in 2007…

GTcanWINagain

Banned
Ego, and money, will ensure that Geoff coaches another two years. Gotta give him 5 years. When they turn on someone quickly (though 3 years is not a short amount of time really), it makes your decision to hire look even more foolish, and it makes potential futures coaches think twice about joining, because they know that the AD will turn on them just as quickly. It stinks, but it's how it is, IMO. Also, I'm sure someone will throw in the "Covid" excuse, though somehow Covid didn't hurt good football teams quite so much.
Then Stansbury’s ego is what is in the way…

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Yes he is his boss I know that he would not do it but if I was him I would do everything I could to make him quit. But he won't he wants the money

You really need to work on you over reliance on pronouns. If were Tstan you would do everything you could to make Collins quit? I have that correct?

If so, then what is the plan to lure a quality coach here knowing they have an AD that will treat them like **** to try and get them to quit so he can save some money?

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Take 40 million out of the fundraising that they raise and get a coaching staff that knows how to coach a football team If it takes more money than take it out Bc no buildings improvements will not win games!!! It takes good coaching and we have none!!!!

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Come on man. Go find me a list of P5 coaches that won 9 games their first three years and were retained their jobs. I think most coaches know if they produce results like that they’re going to be let go.
At nebraska we fired a coach that won 9 games every year, but the fans didn’t like him and understandably so. Btw I find Collins to be annoying. So I suggest maybe it’s not just about winning

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Most likely it wasn't an unforced error in this case. You can't force people to sign contracts and with moving on from Johnson I'd guess that almost any coach would want assurances that he'd be allowed to actually see through the transition from the option. Why would any quality coach want to come here, have to transition from the option, deal with the recruiting issues we have as an institution, if he was also going to feel pressure to have things turned around in year 2? Collins contract isn't on the top end of the curve moneywise (I actually believe it is near the bottom when it comes to P5 but I could be wrong) and the only real notable thing is the length and the buyout for the first 4 years which are almost certainly a direct result of the situation being what it was in terms of moving on. The only real way to probably avoid that issue is with keeping within the CPJ line, but the only good choice in that regards would have been Monken and if I were him I wouldn't have touched this job with a 10 foot pole when Johnson retired. He'd be walking into a situation where he'd be seen as a continuation of the previous coach so he'd have no grace period, already have half the fanbase that disliked the option against him, and having to deal with a decade of bad defense and an offense losing most of its production. We could have promoted from within but with having no OC there was no heir apparent anyways.

And in reality, the contract really isn't that unfavorable to the school. It basically guarantees Collins will be here for 4 years and then is a fairly low cost to move on relative to the market.

Unfortunately, Collins has killed our program in 3 years. 😐

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, Collins has killed our program in 3 years. 😐

Fortunately not really. The biggest thing in terms of killing programs is state of the roster. It's why we fired Gregory in basketball despite him having his best year. The roster was in a terrible spot. Collins, so far, doesn't have that issue as recruiting has done pretty well despite the lack of on field success, meaning whenever we move on from him we're likely more appealing to coaches than we were when we hired him unless we just have like 1.5 mil a year to offer.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Also I would call bs on that. Local radio reported 5 years ago that the GTAA had amassed 1.3 billion in a war chest to improve everything. And yes billion was specifically clarified in that report, so what are we doing with that kind of $? Oh yeah, we’re going to remodel the building in the end zone instead of just removing it. Great idea, almost forgot about redoing the locker room that at least from the pics looks like nothing more than a huge waste of $. I gotta an ideal…get rid of Bobby Dodd and build something that actually looks like a modern day football stadium not something that Ray Charles and 6 other blind people designed

The university has an endowment of over $2 billion. That is not the same thing as the Athletic Association. We just raised $175 million for various renovations and scholarship endowments.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
For those in our fanbase hoping that we go back to the 3O via Jeff Monken need to get past the mindset that we need the 3O to compete with the rest of college football. CPJ had some incredible years here at The Institute but he also had some lean ones. CGC has had nothing but lean years but we don't have to run a niche offense to win both consistently and big. Much better coaching is the main component that is missing from this program right now.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
I am past the point of venting. I simply cut the game off when it was 17-0 and we had a 3rd and 2. false start followed by a delay of game penalty. Drew Brees said something to the effect of 'if yyou want to know how to lose a FB game, this is it." I spent the rest of the afternoon getting up leaves in the yard. Y'all should see it now. My yard looks like the fairways at Augusta National. Sipping my first bourbon and fixing to grill ribeyes. Honestly, I may just play golf next Saturday. It's kind of sad as I used to see Thanksgiving as a way to kill a day waiting on COFH.

I'm not mad really at Geoff and his staff. I honestly believe they are doing their best. And probably will up until he coaches his last game. I have no doubt he wants to do well. It just looks like he was given a task bigger than himself.
I have been angry and frustrated with part of our fan base sense the Bud Carson years. Every coach after Dodd has had to face a gauntlet of nay sayers. I could name ever coach and give examples of how some group or another agitated steadily for their demise. There was only one coach I didn’t support from the get-go and that was Lewis. It felt like too big of a leap in his career based on scant data. But I never called for his firing. I just quit buying tickets and quietly disappeared.

I am still sore about the shoddy treatment CPJ got and the fans who amplified all the criticisms of opposing teams who hated having to play him. It didn’t have to be that way. No limit to the heights he might have taken Tech with more support.

I supported CGC when he came in, loved his claiming the ATL, his youth focused messaging, and I even loved the Waffle House shtick. But it felt like we got more passive aggressive shots at the former coach than we got actual coaching on the field.

Now we have a mess of our own making but we have the same old fans. Whoever comes next needs our support and our patience. But if a coach can’t get the right players on and off the field, has trouble with timeouts and can’t seem to correct players being out of position for three years, we need a serious conversation about the job they are doing -without spite or malice or hidden agenda or blaming past coaches.

I will wait to see if this situation, as well as our conversation, can be turned in a positive and fruitful direction.
This sums up exactly how I have felt for the last 2 years. I had season tickets from the 90s right up until 2018 with the exception of a few years where I left Atlanta. When this hire was announced, I believed it would be a mess and just got depressed over the whole decision. I hoped I would be wrong. In a sense, I was wrong because it is worse than I thought it would be.

I too felt that giving Johnson more support would have benefited the program greatly and never understood why so many people got wrapped up in bashing his offense. But we are where we are with the whole situation being one big self inflicted wound.

The responsibility for all of this rests with the AD who should have seen through the BS and known better. If CGC goes, Tstan needs go with him.