Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

slugboy

Staff member
I don't know in detail. But at the time it was widely reported that Lewis was the choice of major financial backers. I just looked on the nets and couldn't find any stories directly on point. No surprise there; most of the information we have about "big donor" dissatisfaction with Paul has been on this site, not in the press. So all I have to go on is my memory from those days, dicey though that may be.

I do remember this, however. I thought Lewis, who had a grand total of one winning season in his entire head coaching career, was a really, really bad choice. I was willing to give Collins a chance, despite my misgivings. Not any more.
The Lewis hire was more public. There was a search committee, with several faculty on it, and if I recall correctly there was one student representative. Some large donors might have been on the search committee too. A few members of the committee were involved in the interview process.

I don’t think it was a secret back-room process. I think they just picked the wrong guy back then.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If TStan lets this continue then he’s part of the problem.
There’s no amount of damage or opportunity cost that can happen next year that will make up for a $14M buyout. Unless there’s some deep pocketed backers firing Collins after this season is simply not an option for the financial stability of GTAA

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s worth considering bringing a coach out of retirement like Spurrier with the said purpose of building the actual program over a couple years until we can afford an actual coach.
WTF? Spurrier is going to come here for pennies on the dollar to rebuild a program until we can pay for something better? Nothing about this makes sense. Spurrier would cost millions. Spurrier ain't going anywhere to rebuild anything.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins isn't going anywhere. My guess is Thacker will probably leave on his own (to avoid being fired) after the season but either way he won't be back. Patenaude is probably less than 50/50 to return. Other assistants may move on too. Tashard Choice is the key guy to keep though. And whoever is recruiting the 3 big DL. Can't lose those guys

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
This thread might go over 500 pages before the so called “game” next week.

Again, thank you to the Moderators for allowing us, and yourselves to vent!

Even some of the N.D. crowd are on their way out.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
There’s nothing more expensive than a bad hire
He was announced as the new AD at half time.

I figured the reframers would some day need a marker. I looked at stats on the west upper deck.
CLEMSON 23 POINTS
GA TECH 26 YDS RUSHING

AGAINST MEGA P5 We have sucked for a long time.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
After today, it was the coaches...and the players...and the schedule...and the cafeteria workers...and the janitors...did I leave anyone out?
How could you forget the fans who bought tickets but d
It’s not wrong. It’s incredibly dumb to call for TStan’s firing or resignation.
That’s your opinion. It is not mine or other Tech fans.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins isn't going anywhere. My guess is Thacker will probably leave on his own (to avoid being fired) after the season but either way he won't be back. Patenaude is probably less than 50/50 to return. Other assistants may move on too. Tashard Choice is the key guy to keep though. And whoever is recruiting the 3 big DL. Can't lose those guys

OK, let's say the coordinators are toast. Setting aside the money issues, what competent (or even good/innovative) coordinators are gonna sign on to the Collins clown show?

I think we're backed into a really bad corner unless someone (Brent Key?) can step up and get this thing back on the rails.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
WTF? Spurrier is going to come here for pennies on the dollar to rebuild a program until we can pay for something better? Nothing about this makes sense. Spurrier would cost millions. Spurrier ain't going anywhere to rebuild anything.

What I mean is insert him in a position between Tstan and Collins. Let him approve the assistant coaching hires. I do mean bringing him in as head ball coach. Collins has made this such a mess we need someone to make the decisions regarding the actual program.

We have no choice but to retain Collins due to cost but he has proven incapable of leading the program.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
OK, let's say the coordinators are toast. Setting aside the money issues, what competent (or even good/innovative) coordinators are gonna sign on to the Collins clown show?

I think we're backed into a really bad corner unless someone (Brent Key?) can step up and get this thing back on the rails.
Brent Key's position is one of the biggest underachievers. Why do you think he's the solution?

GTcanWINagain

Banned
He was announced as the new AD at half time.

I figured the reframers would some day need a marker. I looked at stats on the west upper deck.
CLEMSON 23 POINTS
GA TECH 26 YDS RUSHING

AGAINST MEGA P5 We have sucked for a long time.
Timing is subjective. The 2014 Orange Bowl beat down of Dak Prescott & Mississippi State was not that long ago…but it is getting longer as the years tick by without a course correction!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
He hired him what makez you think he would not mess up again
I’ve already made a lengthy post regarding Collins’ hire and the other potential hires from that year. Who else would he have hired that would have been more successful for a cheaper or similar contract? The available coaches from that class were very weak