Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

GTcanWINagain

Banned
It might be worse soon. People will forget GT Football even exists. The last two games before ND were not even on TV channels I get and I only live one state over. GT isn't even going to be on regular TV unless they play Clemson, UGA, or ND.
How is it going to change with a fair % of our GT fan base still with faith in Collins / Stansbury?

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I posted this in the chat but I'll post it in here: if Stansbury can't raise the funds to fire Collins/hire a new staff, then he isn't cut out to be the AD. Hiring the football coach and fundraising are two of the most important aspects of his job and if he can't do either of those he should not be he
Say you're TStan. You call Collins and Key to the office first thing tomorrow. Firing them is easy, but unrealistic, IMO.

What do you do?
tstan should fire him and then pay out Collins with his own salary since he’s responsible for this mess

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I am afraid I agree with you. That was such a poor performance that I cringed to see the Georgia Tech “ad” during the game. You can screw up, but when you screw up that big there will be consequences.

Those two statements contradict each other. The recruiting buck stops with the head coach, for all players. If Paul wasn’t responsible for the D recruiting, then he was a bad recruiter.

I think he did have a hand in defensive recruiting, for what it’s worth, and he started as a defensive coach.
The majority of our 4stars under CPJ were on the defense. We failed to get many game changing DT, but I don’t think recruiting was the reason our D was always bad under Johnson.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Does TS go back to his pal Whisenhunt? A safe choice with Tech connections to try and fix the bleeding for a few seasons? Would Whisenhunt be willing to give us an alumni discount? Would that even be worth it?

GTcanWINagain

Banned
So real question at this point, if your Tstan , what do you do knowing the funding issue and that he was your hire.

Do you ask Collins to fire his staff or do you fire Collins / ask him to resign .

We're stuck in a big hole now
And the hole keeps getting deeper. We have seen the attendance slide and was far better until 2015.

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
No words can describe how bad that game was today. The only progress made this year was due to Gibbs being healthy for every game and getting him the ball more. Nothing else has improved. The narrative that we are getting better because of close losses just got counterfeited. We only lost to ND by 18 last year. We just lost by 3 times that amount. Acc is crap this year which accounts for the close losses. I am physically sick right now.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Ego, and money, will ensure that Geoff coaches another two years. Gotta give him 5 years. When they turn on someone quickly (though 3 years is not a short amount of time really), it makes your decision to hire look even more foolish, and it makes potential futures coaches think twice about joining, because they know that the AD will turn on them just as quickly. It stinks, but it's how it is, IMO.
It’s not wrong. It’s incredibly dumb to call for TStan’s firing or resignation.
Well find out in the next eight days.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
So real question at this point, if your Tstan , what do you do knowing the funding issue and that he was your hire.

Do you ask Collins to fire his staff or do you fire Collins / ask him to resign .

We're stuck in a big hole now
It may be better to put football on hiatus until Collins’ contract expires rather than enduring what we went through tonight or will go through next weekend for the next few years.

chunt42316

Georgia Tech Fan
The only DC that would be crazy enough to sniff the idea of coming to tech would be Grantham. But he would probably want too much money.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
1637449717808.jpeg

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
My gut says Bill O'Brien. The rumors were that he was his first choice, but the Texans were actually doing well so he wasn't going to leave. We are stuck in the mindset of bringing in a "Tech Guy" I think.

For the record I think he will be OK and right the ship to some extent based on what he did at Penn State with massive sanctions, but its just not an exciting hire and I think he has a very low ceiling and a very low floor.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Does TS go back to his pal Whisenhunt? A safe choice with Tech connections to try and fix the bleeding for a few seasons? Would Whisenhunt be willing to give us an alumni discount? Would that even be worth it?
The good news for TStan is that yes, he will have write up some notes about how much progress the team has made, that Geoff has his full confidence, and that it's a process. And ... after the butt whipping we take next week, he can re-use his notes, so no new work for him. Yay!