Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have no knowledge as to how this works, but I would expect that it is not unreasonable for an AD to be involved with the second round of DC hires. Seems fair to give the HC a chance with his own people, but if that does not work, also seems fair for an AD to be involved going forward. This all flows up hill. If coaches in the key programs (bball, fball, etc.) for a school keep missing, it ultimately falls on the AD. So if I were an AD, I absolutely would be involved.
What am I missing here? We hire a head ball coach, pay him lots of money, presumably because that is the going rate for a winner, expect him to win, raise money, fly the flag ... and tell him he czn't hire his assistants because, again presumably, he ain't good enough? That coach needs to float his resume right now.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
The trolls
I think we would all feel better if he had said:
Look guys, just have patience, this is going to take a while.
We’re going to recruit the metro area hard.
I brought in this staff because they’ve been with me a long time.
We’re going to make mistakes, but no one is going to outwork us.
And,
We’re going to keep all traditions , but slowly work in some marketing schemes to build attendance and sell the brand.
He did say all of those things. Just not in the words you did.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think we would all feel better if he had said:
Look guys, just have patience, this is going to take a while.
We’re going to recruit the metro area hard.
I brought in this staff because they’ve been with me a long time.
We’re going to make mistakes, but no one is going to outwork us.
And,
We’re going to keep all traditions , but slowly work in some marketing schemes to build attendance and sell the brand.
Hmm…so my responses to these would now be:

Take a while for what? To get back to mediocre? How long is a while?

When is all this severely upgraded talent going to show up and when it going to produce results?

Working hard is great, but results are what really matter at some point. Yeah 3 starts to become “some point”

The marketing ain’t working. Attendance is dropping faster than ever. The brand that is being developed is “a lot of talk and little to back it up” - and that’s not just Tech fans that break that way right now.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Hmm…so my responses to these would now be:

Take a while for what? To get back to mediocre? How long is a while?

When is all this severely upgraded talent going to show up and when it going to produce results?

Working hard is great, but results are what really matter at some point. Yeah 3 starts to become “some point”

The marketing ain’t working. Attendance is dropping faster than ever. The brand that is being developed is “a lot of talk and little to back it up” - and that’s not just Tech fans that break that way right now.
If you look at the list of accomplishments across all of GT Athletics, TStan only mentions one thing specific to football ... "we increased the staff from 28 to 40." That's it.

He also says that "competitive excellence is our goal" and that he has goals, action items, and metrics to track progress. I would guess most of his goals in this department are red. I really wish he would publish them and hold himself and Geoff accountable. Are we on track or not?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
The first thing CGC did to piss me off and (maybe I was the only one ). I can understand a new Head Coach wanting to clean house , but sometimes it's better to keep 1 or 2 of the old coach to help with the transition. I was really hoping he would have kept Andy McCollum cause he seem to love to recruit and I thought he wanted to stay .
I know some HS coaches who thought the same way. They really liked Coach Mac.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
What am I missing here? We hire a head ball coach, pay him lots of money, presumably because that is the going rate for a winner, expect him to win, raise money, fly the flag ... and tell him he czn't hire his assistants because, again presumably, he ain't good enough? That coach needs to float his resume right now.
If he only wins 9 games in three years with the assistants he selected? Yes, it seems fair for the AD to then get involved in the next round of hires.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Again, I am not the one walking back my statements...
You're one of two of us walking back his statements, but only one of us was honest enough to own up to that fact. And I am not going to converse with someone ill-mannered enough to call an idea "stupid" just because he disagrees with it. Calling someone's ideas "stupid" is a thinly veiled way of calling them stupid - just a cheap fig leaf to claim otherwise. You're on ignore, so I won't read your crude response. The last word is yours. Bye.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Fine with me. He didn't work out.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The first thing CGC did to piss me off and (maybe I was the only one ). I can understand a new Head Coach wanting to clean house , but sometimes it's better to keep 1 or 2 of the old coach to help with the transition. I was really hoping he would have kept Andy McCollum cause he seem to love to recruit and I thought he wanted to stay .

Absolutely not. You cannot do a transition and try to keep the previous staff member. You’re setting yourself for a divided locker room

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Does anywhere here get nauseous when someone posts about CGC being some great defensive mind? It‘s a joke right? He is the head coach at his “dream” job and we are at the end of year 3. He is a horrible defensive coach. It’s been 3 years not 2 games. And if you don’t want to use the “eye” test the analytics also are in. Every week from Citadel onward we all hope we see the great defensive mind emerge. It’s gotten worse. We are the team now that every running back, every receiver, and every QB can’t wait to get to because they will pad their stats. Jurkovec is salivating to throw for 350 plus on Saturday. We will play zone and the players will be lost and Jurkovec will sit in the pocket and pick us apart. It’s gonna be Pickett all over again.

But you cannot dispute it tho.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
If he only wins 9 games in three years with the assistants he selected? Yes, it seems fair for the AD to then get involved in the next round of hires.
The issue is who would come here to be a coordinator? If the believe by many/most is next year is likely Collin's last year, why would anyone looking to build their resume come for a one year stint and likely mediocre at best results. Yes it is a Power 5 job. But people want to hire people who have had success which means far more than just which team and conference they came from. So I think you would not get the quality upgrades for coordinators we desire based on this scenario. The only remote possibility would be to hire someone in one of the coordinator jobs who is potentially your next head coach. But at these dollars, I don't think that is a realistic possibility either. So I think we have to play this out next year and unfortunately to a great extent start over if we don't have far more success than we have currently.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The AD (his boss) has a meeting after the season is over and goes over the performance of the team for the recent season and the previous two. A simple question will be "we are ranked 100th(?) in defensive statistics, we are 85th(?) in offensive performance and we have won 3 games each of the last 3 years. What is your plan to improve next year. What changes do you intend to make for improvement? "
If nothing is changed then the AD needs to go.
An aside:. Some of the staff may decide to leave on their own for greener pastures.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
The issue is who would come here to be a coordinator? If the believe by many/most is next year is likely Collin's last year, why would anyone looking to build their resume come for a one year stint and likely mediocre at best results. Yes it is a Power 5 job. But people want to hire people who have had success which means far more than just which team and conference they came from. So I think you would not get the quality upgrades for coordinators we desire based on this scenario. The only remote possibility would be to hire someone in one of the coordinator jobs who is potentially your next head coach. But at these dollars, I don't think that is a realistic possibility either. So I think we have to play this out next year and unfortunately to a great extent start over if we don't have far more success than we have currently.
I agree with that. I said elsewhere that I don't think we should fire coordinators at the end of year. My point is simply if we were to do so, the AD should be involved in who we end up hiring.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I agree with that. I said elsewhere that I don't think we should fire coordinators at the end of year. My point is simply if we were to do so, the AD should be involved in who we end up hiring.
Coordinators - and frankly, any assistant- needs to be done by the head coach and head coach alone
The only time you should bring in the AD at this level is to do a background check and to write the check

ADs shouldn’t be in on the hiring of assistants
But I have known em to be in on the firings

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
There are hundreds of coaches at lower divisions who would come hear within one phone call. I really don’t understand how so many think the only pool of coaches are already in P5. That is the same reasoning that led Spurrier from GT to Duke. The vast majority of current coordinators started at lower divisions. We’ve tried 2 P5 coordinators (Thacker and Patenaude) for 3 seasons and my opinion is they stink. I’d rather pay 2 young up and comers a lot less money because we know what the current guys can do. Maybe we hit on the next Venables or Day. Maybe not, but any high school staff could win 3 games a year at minimum with our athletes. There is no special sauce to getting P5 jobs. It’s about paying dues and having contacts. Hence, a lot of meatheads in the football coaching profession.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Coordinators - and frankly, any assistant- needs to be done by the head coach and head coach alone
The only time you should bring in the AD at this level is to do a background check and to write the check

ADs shouldn’t be in on the hiring of assistants
But I have known em to be in on the firings
No the AD should not directly fire the assistants. That is the Head coach's job. BUT he definitely needs to tell the Head coach something needs to happen and strongly tell him what it is that needs to happen. Otherwise you let the Head coach go next year and promote someone to interim head coach for a full year to help get rid of the buyout.

He needs to do it or he needs to go