Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I had to go back and look at the records of past coaches:

We can't say Collins is the worst coach win/loss wise in Tech history. After three years Bill Curry only had 8 wins. B*&$ L$%#^ had 11. Ross had 12. (although they played one fewer games per year)

Both Curry and Ross both got better coaching jobs after leaving Tech. Maybe Collins can turn a winning record next year like Curry and Ross.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely not. You cannot do a transition and try to keep the previous staff member. You’re setting yourself for a divided locker room

I think that used to be true, but with the way assistants, coordinators and HCs move these days I am not sure it is as impactful as it used to be. Every program is going to lose assistants and probably coordinators if a kid stays 3+ years in a program. If Collins cut Thacker or Dave P then I really wouldn't expect a lot of division. Those that did not like the change can just hit the portal now if they don't like the change.

IMO Collins just needs to figure out how to win with what he has. Changing coordinators really isn't going to improve the situation near term. Collins' staff may not be elite but consistency in coaches can lead to winning and consistency is what we need top to bottom in the program right now.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, anyone who compares Collins to Ross just didn’t take the time to look at the resumes. Ross was hired to do exactly what he did (revive a dying program) and he succeeded beyond all expectations and was hired away by the freakin NFL. Collins may get there (we all hope) but his resume isn’t in the same solar system as Ross.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He might get a chance to be a HC if he has one or two 9 or 10 win seasons and they ignore his overall record. He can tout his historic rebuild from the 3O. It will be tougher here since he will have UGA and Clemson every year plus ND from time to time. That alone is enough to scare off a lot of guys. There are a lot of desperate AD's out there and he is a salesman.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I think that used to be true, but with the way assistants, coordinators and HCs move these days I am not sure it is as impactful as it used to be. Every program is going to lose assistants and probably coordinators if a kid stays 3+ years in a program. If Collins cut Thacker or Dave P then I really wouldn't expect a lot of division. Those that did not like the change can just hit the portal now if they don't like the change.

IMO Collins just needs to figure out how to win with what he has. Changing coordinators really isn't going to improve the situation near term. Collins' staff may not be elite but consistency in coaches can lead to winning and consistency is what we need top to bottom in the program right now.

Y’all make that sound so simple.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
John Simon, the movie critic for New York magazine for a while, was called the Vicar of Vitriol for quite a few of his toxic reviews. I think we have some posters who could challenge his tenure as the Vicar. We're at 133 pages of vitriol right now with no sign of abatement.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
John Simon, the movie critic for New York magazine for a while, was called the Vicar of Vitriol for quite a few of his toxic reviews. I think we have some posters who could challenge his tenure as the Vicar. We're at 133 pages of vitriol right now with no sign of abatement.

This thread will remain until Collins is .500

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I had to go back and look at the records of past coaches:

We can't say Collins is the worst coach win/loss wise in Tech history. After three years Bill Curry only had 8 wins. B*&$ L$%#^ had 11. Ross had 12. (although they played one fewer games per year)

Both Curry and Ross both got better coaching jobs after leaving Tech. Maybe Collins can turn a winning record next year like Curry and Ross.
I have always said its the third season that matters at Tech for the coaches. All of the ones that lasted had a winning season by their fourth season. For Ross, arguably the best "football" coach we have had after losing the first three games in year three, he then went 18-1-1 in his next 20 and left for the NFL after going 25-6-1 in his last 32 games. That is a helluva run and one reason its simply ignorant to compare Collins and Ross. Collins as a coach is a lot more like Curry without the leadership skills. Hopefully Collins can get to a Curry 9-2-1 by his sixth season.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Coordinators - and frankly, any assistant- needs to be done by the head coach and head coach alone
The only time you should bring in the AD at this level is to do a background check and to write the check

ADs shouldn’t be in on the hiring of assistants
But I have known em to be in on the firings
This captures my thinking. It is Geoff's program. The assistants are his so let him swim or sink with them. He just may decide to let a few go anyway at the end of the year. My Florida friends just about fell down in astonishment when Mullins fired the notorious "3rd and Grantham". They thought Mullins was ultra loyal to his assistants but guess not.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I have always said its the third season that matters at Tech for the coaches. All of the ones that lasted had a winning season by their fourth season. For Ross, arguably the best "football" coach we have had after losing the first three games in year three, he then went 18-1-1 in his next 20 and left for the NFL after going 25-6-1 in his last 32 games. That is a helluva run and one reason its simply ignorant to compare Collins and Ross. Collins as a coach is a lot more like Curry without the leadership skills. Hopefully Collins can get to a Curry 9-2-1 by his sixth season.
There were some better coaches than Bobby Ross in his time...but not many.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Y’all make that sound so simple.
Well, given that we are smack dab in the middle of one of the worst three years stretches in the history of Georgia Tech football it seems like it’s been pretty damn easy for everyone else to do better than this…

Times we have been this bad
79-81
29-31
1892-1903

We didn’t even have a paid coach during those early years, so basically Collins is producing as poorly over three years as any Tech coach ever has.

So yeah, he needs to figure it out. He’s getting paid a ton of money to do just that, so I don’t really feel that bad for all the flack the guy is catching.

Animal02

Banned
Well, given that we are smack dab in the middle of one of the worst three years stretches in the history of Georgia Tech football it seems like it’s been pretty damn easy for everyone else to do better than this…

Times we have been this bad
79-81
29-31
1892-1903

We didn’t even have a paid coach during those early years, so basically Collins is producing as poorly over three years as any Tech coach ever has.

So yeah, he needs to figure it out. He’s getting paid a ton of money to do just that, so I don’t really feel that bad for all the flack the guy is catching.
And the 79-81 years were mine at Tech