Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Do you think it was a choice or do you think it was more like bring the Temple staff because that's what we could afford?
I have thought about this a lot over the past year or two and it is a great question. I think he chose to bring his Temple staff. We bought out the DC that was here, so that money could have been used to make different staff choices. He could have also negotiated a portion of his salary to set the budget for his support staff. In my mind, if I were CGC I would have made sure I had the budget to build a capable staff knowing he was going to transition offenses.

The thing I have not ruled out is that he settled on the Temple staff (particularly for offense) due to other people not wanting to come here. He moved quickly once hired, so I do not think he interviewed many people outside of the Temple staff, but I have no idea.

Inconsistency has been the killer for us this year IMO. If I am Collins I try to figure that out over the offseason rather than staff changes.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I only remember one coach Collins asked for but did not get, and that’s a more experienced DLine coach—he made an offer and it didn’t work out. We got Marco Coleman from the Raiders instead.

About this time nearly three years ago, I can’t recall anyone questioning the assistant coach hires aside from Patenaude. And I think the Patenaude doubt was more “at his age, he should be further along and have accomplished more”.

Jim Panagos. From my recollection, he was hired and on the staff for a few days before Minnesota gave him a better offer. I guess I worded what I said poorly. I get that these are CGC's choices, but at the same time, we are 46th out of 51 schools in staff budget. My hope was that these guys would overperform and get raises, but they haven't justified it so far. There is no way around paying more if we want more.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Other programs already announcing changes in their staffs. There will be people available. Now the question is will we want them?

Animal02

Banned
I just wanted to thank the admins for letting everyone vent.... Clearly with 129, going on 130 pages... You care enough to let the fan based grumble, fuss and explain their frustrations. I, like many, think we deserve better. I would like to refer a Money Ball quote. "if he's a good hitter, why can't he hit", "if he's a good coach, why can't he coach". These are the types questions we should be asking. "if he's a good tackler, why can't he tackle".... "if he's the chaos of defense, why aren't we generating chaos"??? To me.... This is where my frustrations start... Everything Collins is supposed to be, he isn't... Unless he is just a bag of air, that lucked his way into a job.....
But but but, he was 4 1/2 stars coming out H.S.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Inconsistency has been the killer for us this year IMO. If I am Collins I try to figure that out over the offseason rather than staff changes.
It's been like a bucket with a bunch of holes in it. You plug as many as you can but you're not getting all of them. Maybe next year they finally figure it out.

That's the only hope I have at this point with this staff, because there have been flashes as times of what the goal is and future could be, but we haven't seen it all put together against a power 5 time, other then UNC.

While UNC turned out to be not as good as everyone thought, it was still an impressive performance to me personally because it was the closest thing to a total team win I've seen from this staff.

We've all been very negative (rightfully so I would add), but I think you keep most if not everyone at least one more year and see if they can put all those flashes together, otherwise cut bait.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Jim Panagos. From my recollection, he was hired and on the staff for a few days before Minnesota gave him a better offer. I guess I worded what I said poorly. I get that these are CGC's choices, but at the same time, we are 46th out of 51 schools in staff budget. My hope was that these guys would overperform and get raises, but they haven't justified it so far. There is no way around paying more if we want more.
Same problem as always here. Maybe one day we can combine on field success with actual investment in the athletic department. Our time will come.

I remember when Clemson was a push over for a long time, they have/had their time in the spotlight now/recently. We will get ours too.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Do you think it was a choice or do you think it was more like bring the Temple staff because that's what we could afford?
The first thing CGC did to piss me off and (maybe I was the only one ). I can understand a new Head Coach wanting to clean house , but sometimes it's better to keep 1 or 2 of the old coach to help with the transition. I was really hoping he would have kept Andy McCollum cause he seem to love to recruit and I thought he wanted to stay .

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I have thought about this a lot over the past year or two and it is a great question. I think he chose to bring his Temple staff. We bought out the DC that was here, so that money could have been used to make different staff choices.
Too bad we didn't simply keep the one we had.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Too bad we didn't simply keep the one we had.
I agree , but remember CGC thinks he is the best Defensive minded coach so he would not keep someone who didn't believe in his system. I could be wrong but I remember after he brought Thacker over I said to myself he is just a puppet and will only do what CGC wants.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree , but remember CGC thinks he is the best Defensive minded coach so he would not keep someone who didn't believe in his system. I could be wrong but I remember after he brought Thacker over I said to myself he is just a puppet and will only do what CGC wants.
Yeah, and after three years we can see the results.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Yes, and theoretically, this should save us money in the sense that we just need a DC to install exactly what Collins wants. Why it hasn't worked out so far, I have no idea. Maybe Collins needs to act as Co-DC in addition to head coach and get more hands on. I dunno.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and theoretically, this should save us money in the sense that we just need a DC to install exactly what Collins wants. Why it hasn't worked out so far, I have no idea.
It's about competence. There are different schemes, and all of them are valid. For each one of them there are coaches who can run them well and coaches who cannot. Obviously, ours has proven to be in the latter category. The fact that Collins brought Thacker here is testament to his ability to make that judgement. The scheme is secondary to the competence of the one running it.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Whatever our scheme is (4-2-5 effort based or whatever) it's not working and hasn't since day 1. We didn't have a historic transformation on D, we just have a HC, DC, and some position coaches who don't measure up. Collins came in with two skills on his resume - recruiting and defense. He's 1 for 2, which is unfortunately much better than his W-L record.

This just isn't fun anymore. But I guess I just don't want to see how great things are going...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Whatever our scheme is (4-2-5 effort based or whatever) it's not working and hasn't since day 1. We didn't have a historic transformation on D, we just have a HC, DC, and some position coaches who don't measure up. Collins came in with two skills on his resume - recruiting and defense. He's 1 for 2, which is unfortunately much better than his W-L record.

This just isn't fun anymore. But I guess I just don't want to see how great things are going...
Coach Pangloss.

images

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I think we would all feel better if he had said:
Look guys, just have patience, this is going to take a while.
We’re going to recruit the metro area hard.
I brought in this staff because they’ve been with me a long time.
We’re going to make mistakes, but no one is going to outwork us.
And,
We’re going to keep all traditions , but slowly work in some marketing schemes to build attendance and sell the brand.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Does anywhere here get nauseous when someone posts about CGC being some great defensive mind? It‘s a joke right? He is the head coach at his “dream” job and we are at the end of year 3. He is a horrible defensive coach. It’s been 3 years not 2 games. And if you don’t want to use the “eye” test the analytics also are in. Every week from Citadel onward we all hope we see the great defensive mind emerge. It’s gotten worse. We are the team now that every running back, every receiver, and every QB can’t wait to get to because they will pad their stats. Jurkovec is salivating to throw for 350 plus on Saturday. We will play zone and the players will be lost and Jurkovec will sit in the pocket and pick us apart. It’s gonna be Pickett all over again.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we would all feel better if he had said:
Look guys, just have patience, this is going to take a while.
We’re going to recruit the metro area hard.
I brought in this staff because they’ve been with me a long time.
We’re going to make mistakes, but no one is going to outwork us.
And,
We’re going to keep all traditions , but slowly work in some marketing schemes to build attendance and sell the brand.
Agree. This would have been a much better approach. It also would have taken someone self aware to do it...