Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Animal02

Banned
As pissed as I am about the current situation and as much as I want to say, “fire everyone,” there’s some positives happening.

Last season, every loss was 10+ points. This season, every loss except Pitt is <10 points. We’re getting better and the games are getting closer.

I feel like an idiot claiming “good losses.” But it’s hard to argue that we’re moving in the right direction. Just not as fast as we hoped.
Are we? Or has much of the ACC competition moved backwards......notably Clemson.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I think it is really just one guy with 6 different handles that posts all the negative stuff. Maybe he is a UGAian bot.
Wishful thinking/dreamworld thoughts. Probably more like 15,000 to 20,000 who stopped going to the games and dont care enough to post. Sadly wait till we see season ticket sales next year.
Before someone pipes in that all teams are seeing this, yes but nothing like the rapid falloff we are seeing. $Millions of $$ are being lost thanks to this clown show. The whole thing makes me sad and was obvious what was going to happen before he coached his first game at Tech

Animal02

Banned
Wishful thinking/dreamworld thoughts. Probably more like 15,000 to 20,000 who stopped going to the games and dont care enough to post. Sadly wait till we see season ticket sales next year.
Before someone pipes in that all teams are seeing this, yes but nothing like the rapid falloff we are seeing. $Millions of $$ are being lost thanks to this clown show. The whole thing makes me sad and was obvious what was going to happen before he coached his first game at Tech
With regards to posters here.......there are a whole lot of regulars that were run off by the GC fan boys, and other methods.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I am currently at a family reunion this morning and our irrelevancy the last few years has become strikingly clear after the fourth different mutt fan just told me we always have a chance against them with triple option offense. I have politely pointed out that we haven’t run that in almost three full seasons now.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
As pissed as I am about the current situation and as much as I want to say, “fire everyone,” there’s some positives happening.

Last season, every loss was 10+ points. This season, every loss except Pitt is <10 points. We’re getting better and the games are getting closer.

I feel like an idiot claiming “good losses.” But it’s hard to argue that we’re moving in the right direction. Just not as fast as we hoped.

When my ever optimistic homer spirit starts to think that way, my logical side quickly recalls the tone set for the season by the NIU loss. Hardly a quality loss…

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

Just wanted to say that is fantasy world. The reason these games are closer is because our opponents have taken a step back this year. NIU, Pitt, and UGA are the only teams we play this year who are better than last year. UNC, VT, UV, Miami, Duke, BC, Clemson are all worse than last year. ND is about the same. I’m not a Debbie downer but watching our team play yesterday we are worse than when we played FSU to start last year. Sims has regressed. The OLine is worse. The defense has deteriorated. Just like against FSU, Mason, Gibbs, and Carter are our bright spots. Sims was a bright spot against FSU but yesterday he played scared. Our opponents have figured out our scheme (or lack thereof) so they stuff us. Our only successful offensive plays are when a player (Gibbs/Mason) make a talented play. Scheme wise we have zero success.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
When my ever optimistic homer spirit starts to think that way, my logical side quickly recalls the tone set for the season by the NIU loss. Hardly a quality loss…
I’m the most ornery person on here and by no means an optimistic homer, but it’s true - we’re keeping games closer. We all hoped we’d start winning close games, but it’s better than having boring 4th quarters because we’re down 20+

slugboy

Staff member
Short summary: it’s not easy to fire your way to success

I’ve been watching Georgia Tech a long time; not as long as some of you, but I started following at the end of the Pepper era (and that was hard, because there wasn’t a lot of Tech on TV at the time).
As fans, we want to win, and we want to win right now, and that’s what a fan should want. Here’s some of what I’ve seen over the past 25 years that shows why we need to fix up our house
  • Towards the end of O’Leary’s tenure, the offense wasn’t quite as good under Bill O’Brien as it was under Fridge, and O’Leary never got the defense in gear. In some ways, we were looking for a new coach the last few years of his coaching stand here. When his resume fiasco blew up his hire at Notre Dame, there didn’t seem to be any thought of bringing him back. O’Leary could have used a stronger AA to help his team go in the right direction. Also, as fans, many of us didn’t realize how hard it was for his staff to put a consistent winner on the field like he did. When outside coaches saw the GT situation, they probably thought “that’s not as good as a factory situation, but it’s pretty good”. We still had recruits who could remember a national title. Every outside coach understood why he’d “step up” to the Notre Dame job, though.
  • We followed up with Gailey, who a lot of fans called “Gomer”. Most people were cautiously optimistic about the hire, but I don’t think a lot of coaches threw their hats into the ring to replace O’Leary. We had a great defense under Gailey, and a mostly boring offense with an all-time hall-of-fame receiver and great running backs. I’m not sure how much help Gailey was willing to take, but he could have used a lot more help adjusting from the Pros to college and managing academic progress. He had very good Hewitt years with star basketball players to shield him from the harsh glare of fans and the press. From the viewpoint of outside coaches, they saw the AA let him down when they said advisors were handling academic progress. He fought through recruiting sanctions and finally his staff brought in full recruiting classes, and some of the best we’d seen. Outside coaches saw fans get sick of him, and an AA that didn’t get the job done.
  • We followed that up with Johnson. I see him going into the college football hall of fame as a coach. He turned us around quickly, then tailed off over the last few years. Other coaches might not like him, but he’s seen as an innovator, and I see him that way. In his time here, he had boosters and his own AD undercut him. Some of the problems he had here were related to actions he took, but as a coach you want to know that the AA and the AD have your back, and that they’re competent. That wasn’t the case until his last couple of years. Many fans and coaches feel like he wasn’t fired, but he wasn’t made to feel welcome in the job for about half of his tenure here.
  • The least a good coach is going to expect is for the AA and the AD to have their back and support them (unless they go full Bobby Petrino, and dang if he didn’t expect the Arkansas AA to support him with guns blazing).
  • In the same time that Johnson was here, Swinney was at a point that he could get fired, and the big donors at Clemson surely wouldn’t have minded at the time. Their AD called a meeting, and Swinney thought he was getting fired. The AD hosted a discussion about what they could do to support him and help turn around the program. Every coach in the country saw that happen, and saw that as the sign of a successful athletic program.
  • Over on the other side of the country, Stanford had never been a strong athletic program before Harbaugh showed up there, but the AA has made that a consistent program from Harbaugh to Shaw.
  • Closer to home, Clemson (mentioned earlier) and Alabama have shown what building a good AA can do for you. FSU has shown what an aimless and weak AA can do TO you, even if you’re flush with cash.
  • When we hired Collins, coaches and sports journalists voiced the idea that there were very few coaching openings, and Tech had a shot at making a great and special hire just based on timing. However, most coaches did not see us as a desirable landing spot, and we didn’t have as many candidates as we’d have wanted. When Ross went to the NFL, there was huge buzz about our HC position. This time around, it wasn’t as popular to compete for.
  • Whether or not other coaches respect Collins or not, they’re looking at this situation and seeing what the environment looks like and how good of a situation this is. They’re looking at “can you recruit”—and you can, even if it’s not as easy as Miami. They’re looking at “is the AA going to shelter you from the pesky annoyances that keep you from coaching or recruiting, or are they going to be a source of trouble”. They’ll look at “does the AA keep the NCAA out of my hair or do they make things worse?”. They’ll look at “do I have all the tools I have to succeed at that place?”.
  • While most coaches are mostly focused on prepping for their next game and recruiting, they are looking around for a cozy home to work from, because most HC jobs are temporary, and you’re lucky to coach for more that 4 years anywhere.
  • So, if Stansbury goes to donors, and amasses a big pile of cash that not only covers a buyout but also has enough cash to pay for a HC and strong assistants, we’re just resetting the clock—we won’t have a race of coaches running through our open door. Mullen isn’t leaving Florida for us, and Leach isn’t leaving Miss State for us, and we’re probably not getting Coastal Carolina’s coach either. We’re not even getting Hugh Freeze from Liberty.
  • Any coach worth his salt who might consider GT is looking at what the AA and AD do right now. I would. I’d want to see the AD come in and do what’s needed to support Collins and put him on the right track for success—even if it’s bringing in the right assistants (or getting them on the right track and doing their jobs better) and taking responsibilities off of his plate so he can focus on what needs fixing. Bring in a coach whisperer to mentor him in the right direction (not saying I believe in “coach whisperers, but $hrug”).
  • Basically, this is a “show some grit and make a smart and concerted effort to fix things” moment for the AA and for Collins. It’s a time for the AD to come in and help turn this around. It’s a time for every coach and athlete around the country to see that you did everything possible to help the situation before you gave up, so that they know you’re serious, and so they know that you’re not just calling in a new coach and saying “your problem, fix this on your own”.
Summary:
  1. If you fire Collins, you need to attract a good or great coach.
  2. To attract a good or great coach, you have to make them think this is a place where they can and will succeed and would want to be.
  3. You have to make any prospective coaches think this is a good place to be before you fire Collins. Doing that after you fire Collins is too late to get them to come here.
  4. We haven’t done #2 yet.
  5. One of the ways to accomplish point 2 is to make a concerted effort to fix what’s wrong with our program right now.
  6. This is a c*** situation, but you have to deal with the situation you’re in as it is and not as you’d like it to be.
  7. The buyout is a financial issue, but job desirability is a bigger one, so we have to fix our environment here.

Last edited:

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I "knew" we were in trouble at the end of that game. CGC/Thatcher never even dreamed we would have to defend against the game winning drive against NIU......because we are "elite". The "anticipation" ability ( or inability ) of this staff to have a "what if they against stop this on offense- see last 4 drives against UM, or also " what if this defensive scheme is not effective against the opponent's offense" has been evident, and frankly embarrassing. At almost the end of 3 years, it's coaching ( or lack thereof ) fellas and ladies.

Animal02

Banned
I "knew" we were in trouble at the end of that game. CGC/Thatcher never even dreamed we would have to defend against the game winning drive against NIU. The "anticipation" ability ( or inability ) of this staff to have a "what if they against stop this on offense- see last 4 drives against UM, or also " what if this defensive scheme is not effective against the opponent's offense" has been evident, and frankly embarrassing. At almost the end of 3 years, it's coaching ( or lack thereof ) fellas and ladies.
The lack of planning the what ifs, the lack of clock awareness, the lack of knowing the rules, etc etc etc

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I’ve been watching Georgia Tech a long time; not as long as some of you, but I started following at the end of the Pepper era (and that was hard, because there wasn’t a lot of Tech on TV at the time).
As fans, we want to win, and we want to win right now, and that’s what a fan should want. Here’s some of what I’ve seen over the past 25 years that shows why we need to fix up our house
  • Towards the end of O’Leary’s tenure, the offense wasn’t quite as good under Bill O’Brien as it was under Fridge, and O’Leary never got the defense in gear. In some ways, we were looking for a new coach the last few years of his coaching stand here. When his resume fiasco blew up his hire at Notre Dame, there didn’t seem to be any thought of bringing him back. O’Leary could have used a stronger AA to help his team go in the right direction. Also, as fans, many of us didn’t realize how hard it was for his staff to put a consistent winner on the field like he did. When outside coaches saw the GT situation, they probably thought “that’s not as good as a factory situation, but it’s pretty good”. We still had recruits who could remember a national title. Every outside coach understood why he’d “step up” to the Notre Dame job, though.
  • We followed up with Gailey, who a lot of fans called “Gomer”. Most people were cautiously optimistic about the hire, but I don’t think a lot of coaches threw their hats into the ring to replace O’Leary. We had a great defense under Gailey, and a mostly boring offense with an all-time hall-of-fame receiver and great running backs. I’m not sure how much help Gailey was willing to take, but he could have used a lot more help adjusting from the Pros to college and managing academic progress. He had very good Hewitt years with star basketball players to shield him from the harsh glare of fans and the press. From the viewpoint of outside coaches, they saw the AA let him down when they said advisors were handling academic progress. He fought through recruiting sanctions and finally his staff brought in full recruiting classes, and some of the best we’d seen. Outside coaches saw fans get sick of him, and an AA that didn’t get the job done.
  • We followed that up with Johnson. I see him going into the college football hall of fame as a coach. He turned us around quickly, then tailed off over the last few years. Other coaches might not like him, but he’s seen as an innovator, and I see him that way. In his time here, he had boosters and his own AD undercut him. Some of the problems he had here were related to actions he took, but as a coach you want to know that the AA and the AD have your back, and that they’re competent. That wasn’t the case until his last couple of years. Many fans and coaches feel like he wasn’t fired, but he wasn’t made to feel welcome in the job for about half of his tenure here.
  • The least a good coach is going to expect is for the AA and the AD to have their back and support them (unless they go full Bobby Petrino, and dang if he didn’t expect the Arkansas AA to support him with guns blazing).
  • In the same time that Johnson was here, Swinney was at a point that he could get fired, and the big donors at Clemson surely wouldn’t have minded at the time. Their AD called a meeting, and Swinney thought he was getting fired. The AD hosted a discussion about what they could do to support him and help turn around the program. Every coach in the country saw that happen, and saw that as the sign of a successful athletic program.
  • Over on the other side of the country, Stanford had never been a strong athletic program before Harbaugh showed up there, but the AA has made that a consistent program from Harbaugh to Shaw.
  • Closer to home, Clemson (mentioned earlier) and Alabama have shown what building a good AA can do for you. FSU has shown what an aimless and weak AA can do TO you, even if you’re flush with cash.
  • When we hired Collins, coaches and sports journalists voiced the idea that there were very few coaching openings, and Tech had a shot at making a great and special hire just based on timing. However, most coaches did not see us as a desirable landing spot, and we didn’t have as many candidates as we’d have wanted. When Ross went to the NFL, there was huge buzz about our HC position. This time around, it wasn’t as popular to compete for.
  • Whether or not other coaches respect Collins or not, they’re looking at this situation and seeing what the environment looks like and how good of a situation this is. They’re looking at “can you recruit”—and you can, even if it’s not as easy as Miami. They’re looking at “is the AA going to shelter you from the pesky annoyances that keep you from coaching or recruiting, or are they going to be a source of trouble”. They’ll look at “does the AA keep the NCAA out of my hair or do they make things worse?”. They’ll look at “do I have all the tools I have to succeed at that place?”.
  • While most coaches are mostly focused on prepping for their next game and recruiting, they are looking around for a cozy home to work from, because most HC jobs are temporary, and you’re lucky to coach for more that 4 years anywhere.
  • So, if Stansbury goes to donors, and amasses a big pile of cash that not only covers a buyout but also has enough cash to pay for a HC and strong assistants, we’re just resetting the clock—we won’t have a race of coaches running through our open door. Mullen isn’t leaving Florida for us, and Leach isn’t leaving Miss State for us, and we’re probably not getting Coastal Carolina’s coach either. We’re not even getting Hugh Freeze from Liberty.
  • Any coach worth his salt who might consider GT is looking at what the AA and AD do right now. I would. I’d want to see the AD come in and do what’s needed to support Collins and put him on the right track for success—even if it’s bringing in the right assistants (or getting them on the right track and doing their jobs better) and taking responsibilities off of his plate so he can focus on what needs fixing. Bring in a coach whisperer to mentor him in the right direction (not saying I believe in “coach whisperers, but $hrug”).
  • Basically, this is a “show some grit and make a smart and concerted effort to fix things” moment for the AA and for Collins. It’s a time for the AD to come in and help turn this around. It’s a time for every coach and athlete around the country to see that you did everything possible to help the situation before you gave up, so that they know you’re serious, and so they know that you’re not just calling in a new coach and saying “your problem, fix this on your own”.
Summary:
  2. To attract a good or great coach, you have to make them think this is a place where they can and will succeed and would want to be.
  3. You have to make any prospective coaches think this is a good place to be before you fire Collins. Doing that after you fire Collins is too late to get them to come here.
  5. One of the ways to accomplish point 2 is to make a concerted effort to fix what’s wrong with our program right now.
  6. This is a c*** situation, but you have to deal with the situation you’re in as it is and not as you’d like it to be.
  7. The buyout is a financial issue, but job desirability is a bigger one, so we have to fix our environment here.
The AA really doesn't have any other reasonable choice but to string along with GC for the reasons you mentioned and to give him support for now. But they have to insist that Thacker and probably some other assistants are replaced. Even if they think CDP is okay at OC, they might give some thought to replacing him just to give the fan base some hope, since support for him ranges from lukewarm to ice cold. I know fans shouldn't generally determine who the coaches are, but in this case it may be best to pay attention to them if they want to sell tickets. And CDP is pretty replaceable IMO, anyway. It seems that replacing multiple coaches is a near certainty to happen. Can't wait for the off-season.

Plenty of mediocre coaches have done well with good assistants. GC does at least have one good attribute - he can recruit.

All this having been said, though, we're in a tough spot. We're in a heap of trouble.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
The AA really doesn't have any other reasonable choice but to string along with GC for the reasons you mentioned and to give him support for now. But they have to insist that Thacker and probably some other assistants are replaced. Even if they think CDP is okay at OC, they might give some thought to replacing him just to give the fan base some hope, since support for him ranges from lukewarm to ice cold. I know fans shouldn't generally determine who the coaches are, but in this case it may be best to pay attention to them if they want to sell tickets. And CDP is pretty replaceable IMO, anyway. It seems that replacing multiple coaches is a near certainty to happen. Can't wait for the off-season.

Plenty of mediocre coaches have done well with good assistants. GC does at least have one good attribute - he can recruit.
I don't even think it is his recruiting as much as the influx of $$$$ that is making the difference.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don't even think it is his recruiting as much as the influx of $$$$ that is making the difference.
That certainly is part of it, but I think GC has a track record of good recruiting. What I worry about now, though, is that recruiting is showing signs in the last month or so of falling off. It's too early to tell, but there are some troubling signs. Nobody is going to recruit well for very long winning three games a year.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer

Summary:
Very well put in a reasoned way. Most of my posts have been frustrated and p--sed off comments. Stepping back, I will say this( basically the same thing I said last year about this time) IF we don't show substantial improvement- 5+ wins- next year he needs to be gone. We will have a VERY hard time time with all the hurdles we face - academic, in the heart of SEC country, UGA possibly winning NC- attracting a better than good established HC willing to take a chance at GT. It's got to be an up and comer, relatively new ( CGC was passed on for a long time, and with apparently some justification ). IF Collins is to stop the bleeding, he needs to stop ALL the BS, rah rah, Waffle House, etc . distractions , set lower expectations ( which a more experienced coach would have done, IMO ) and stop trying to put a happy face on the process. Behind closed doors I have no idea what he does, but on the opening of spring practice we better hear "EVERYBODY'S job is up for review , from coaches to the water boys/girls"

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Summary:
This is a very well stated summary of where we are with no hyperbole. My concern is that if ADTS does not take some of the actions you list above - if we stand pat hoping the small losses turn into small wins and so on, then I think (my opinion) we will continue on our current trajectory. Recruiting will stall, talent will transfer and we will be in a spiral. If I were AD, I would find a way to push the reset button, but you make a very compelling case for another path.

Go jackets.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I am currently at a family reunion this morning and our irrelevancy the last few years has become strikingly clear after the fourth different mutt fan just told me we always have a chance against them with triple option offense. I have politely pointed out that we haven’t run that in almost three full seasons now.

says more about your ugag family than it does about GT