Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Have you seen our schedule next year. We will most likely start out 1 and three. We got Clemson western Carolina Ole Miss and Central Florida to open the season up. If we lose the rest of games this year and one of the 4 next year we would be 1 and 10 and Collins wil be fired after the ucf loss
I was thinking about this earlier today. Geoff's buyout decreases after Year 5. So we have him for two more years after this REGARDLESS of his W-L record. That's because if we fire him, we would have to pay 100% of his contract. It only becomes an option after Year 5, when the buyout is $2.4M a year. So, if we fired him after Year 5, we would have to pay him $4.8M no matter what.

Here is what I think is going to happen. He will coach through Year 5. Rather than fire him, the AA will renegotiate the buyout create a new position (who knows what?) and give him a 10-year deal at $480K a year, plus incentives. I don't see him moving to another major program, but he could go to an Arkansas State or South Alabama. Restructuring the last two years will help Tech and any other program that might want to hire him. I think he enjoys the job but ... not the coaching part. So give him what he always wanted ... to be the college GM of a football program.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The only thing Collins has actually proven to be an improvement on is recruiting. The believers keep talking about once he gets his guys in and we get “old”. That’s our stars aligning moment. My question is, how much harder is it going to get to recruit after another 3 win season? Pretty soon his slick recruiting is going to come off as empty promises. He HAS to find a way to win a few more games before all the stars align or they never will.

Look at Men basketball as an example

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
That's what I'm saying as well, just that Monken is a proven winner and would probably come here if offered. Not saying that's the only way to win. You just know what you get with that decision.

When Monken's name came up for the South Carolina job, he told the president he wouldn't necessarily run the triple in Columbia.

I've told this anecdote before:
Some years ago, sitting in PJ's office one day, I asked him who on his staff would be a good head coach one day.
He said Monken.
I asked "Why Jeff?"
PJ said, "He understands organization."

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
No doubt about it, Coach Collins and his staff are recruiting better, however, the lines are a long way from being where they need to be and I am beginning to think recruiting linemen may require a huge investment in recruiting nationally because in that area it is simply not getting done just yet. We may see fruits of this labor in coming years but right now the recruitment and development of linemen on both sides of the ball remain the number one challenge for this program as it is for just about any team outside of the factories who can simply buy what they need.
Good point.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
When Monken's name came up for the South Carolina job, he told the president he wouldn't necessarily run the triple in Columbia.

I've told this anecdote before:
Some years ago, sitting in PJ's office one day, I asked him who on his staff would be a good head coach one day.
He said Monken.
I asked "Why Jeff?"
PJ said, "He understands organization."
That was who I was for. Made much more sense at that time.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Look at Men basketball as an example

Josh Pastner had 7 straight winning seasons before coming to GT. He had a 21 win season his first year here. There was promise during the two losing seasons because of past success. Plus during the two losing seasons, we still won around 40% of our games, whereas 3 win seasons in college football is 25% winning percentage. Not to mention Pastner inherited a program that had had less recent success than Collins. Don’t think that’s a valid comparison at all.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Basically, a high paid HR Manager? That makes sense. Although, if a RIF is required, I don't think CGC has the skills or stomach for doing the dirty work, although he might could do it in a passive aggressive way?
Make COLLINS HR MGR and hire a new coach. He is good @ recruiting and marketing . I give him credit for that. Just keep him away from the football team.

slugboy

Staff member
The only thing Collins has actually proven to be an improvement on is recruiting. The believers keep talking about once he gets his guys in and we get “old”. That’s our stars aligning moment. My question is, how much harder is it going to get to recruit after another 3 win season? Pretty soon his slick recruiting is going to come off as empty promises. He HAS to find a way to win a few more games before all the stars align or they never will.
He is getting players into the NFL. For the upper tier recruits, if he keeps doing that, they’ll keep coming

Animal02

Banned
I used to think we had to recruit nationally, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the recruiting, most of it local.
The coaching, however, has been a Halloween nightmare. I agree that we can't compete with the factories being just like them, but we can do a helluvalot better than this.
Recruiting nationally would be going after the athlete / academic all stars. Ones that understand that having a chance making the NFL, let alone succeeding there is akin to winning the lottery. Personally, I think it is a disservice to the kids to stress a NFL future, and even more so to process kids out that don't meet you expectations. Many posters here and other boards are of the "win at all cost" mentality. IMO, it is a disgusting viewpoint. I would rather have the integrity and catch lighting in a bottle once a decade than sell your soul chasing the factories.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I get that a lot of people enjoy talking about clothing, uniforms, catch phrases, et al. The evidence indicates that I am the "one off" on this and I am okay with that. Venting however is (imo) a waste of time. I think the program would benefit more if the same energy from were focused on problem solving. That (imo) is more valuable and interesting than the sweatshirt the coach wore to his presser. Again I really don't expect many to agree with my view point on this.
What the heck can a fan do to “focus on the problem”? You make it sound like there is something else we could be doing to improve the performance next Saturday? If that was the case UGA wouldn’t have not won a Natty for 40plus years because their fan base would have done something. FSU has a rabid fan base so if there was something they could do to “focus on the problem”. Other than give money, buy tickets, and support the program what else can a fan do? I’ll gladly come down and help coach DB’s this week at practice but something tells a fan wouldn’t be allowed to do that. And venting regarding sports is absolutely what every fan should do. And a sports message board is exactly the proper place to do it. Don’t worry though, eventually you won’t have any venting because the stadium will be empty and apathy will reach the message boards. It’s already happening. After the Pitt loss this place was hopping. Yesterday post game and today have seen a lot less traffic on this site. Apathy is here.

Animal02

Banned
What the heck can a fan do to “focus on the problem”? You make it sound like there is something else we could be doing to improve the performance next Saturday? If that was the case UGA wouldn’t have not won a Natty for 40plus years because their fan base would have done something. FSU has a rabid fan base so if there was something they could do to “focus on the problem”. Other than give money, buy tickets, and support the program what else can a fan do? I’ll gladly come down and help coach DB’s this week at practice but something tells a fan wouldn’t be allowed to do that. And venting regarding sports is absolutely what every fan should do. And a sports message board is exactly the proper place to do it. Don’t worry though, eventually you won’t have any venting because the stadium will be empty and apathy will reach the message boards. It’s already happening. After the Pitt loss this place was hopping. Yesterday post game and today have seen a lot less traffic on this site. Apathy is here.
I notice most of the koolaid drinking Collins cult are not posting.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yesterday post game and today have seen a lot less traffic on this site. Apathy is here.

It may be apathy or it maybe the thought that there is really nothing new to say on the topic that hasn't been said. Would you agree with this premise...less than 10% of the posts in this particular forum represent a fresh take or new thought on the topic of the performance of our FB team? Many of our posters have fired all their bullets on the topic and know this. They are reading but not posting. A handful of others are perhaps not as self aware and keep posting more or less the same idea repeatedly.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
...less than 10% of the posts in this particular forum represent a fresh take or new thought on the topic of the performance of our FB team? Many of our posters have fired all their bullets on the topic and know this. They are reading but not posting. A handful of others are perhaps not as self aware and keep posting more or less the same idea repeatedly.
You trying to drive away the only remaining patrons of your site? (Tic)

Who, on football forums, often have fresh takes anymore?

We come here to celebrate success, poo poo failure, and get insider info.