Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I live in Nebraska. You’re spot on. We also have 3 wins, and no answers with our savior. We fired coaches that were 10-3 and 9-4
When Nebraska hired Frost, it seemed like the right thing to do. Fabled quarterback, coming back to his alma mater after leading UCF to some impressive seasons. He was the golden boy that attracted attention from Florida but wanted to go home. Best laid plans of mice and men and all that. They will stick with him as long as they can. Personally, I thought it was a great hire.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
When Nebraska hired Frost, it seemed like the right thing to do. Fabled quarterback, coming back to his alma mater after leading UCF to some impressive seasons. He was the golden boy that attracted attention from Florida but wanted to go home. Best laid plans of mice and men and all that. They will stick with him as long as they can. Personally, I thought it was a great hire.
I agree we’re not gonna do any better than frost, he’ll eventually figure it out. But Osborne could recruit nationally in his heyday. The upper Midwest is not rich in HS skill players. Getting kids from TX, FL, CA, GA is not easy to say the least

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Patience with Pastner paid off last year. He gets to prove himself further moving forward. I’ve been rather patient with this football staff, but my expectations started lower than some on this board. I’m rather disappointed with our performance and staff this year but I’m always comparing back to where I thought the team would be at different position groups in terms of progress in yr 3.

Starting with offense:

QB- Ahead of expectations - I ignore 2019 because the returning talent’s strengths weren’t going match up with the scheme, and all were doomed to struggle behind the OL. I’ve always felt that Sims wasn’t a polished QB coming out of high school to start his freshman year, but had to play out of necessity. I believe we are getting more production out of QB now than I thought we would in year 3 but plenty of room for growth.

OL - Slightly below expectation. Depth and skill sets on our OL was an issue at the start of the transition. I don’t grade this more harshly because our health along the 2 deep has been a problem and we are patching the depth issue with transfers. I think this group is a couple years out still but I hope Franklin, Pendley, and Williams lead this group to success long term.

WR - Slightly ahead of expectations - Kyric is the main reason I list this as ahead. He’s been a great transfer. I felt this group was below average at the transition, and recruiting has been pretty good but experienced some tragedy and injuries.

RB - Ahead of expectation. This was the best group for the transition and we added explosive players and depth through recruiting.

TE - Below Expectation - This group didn’t exist under the previous regime but we haven’t used the tight end in the passing game much.

Overall - Meets expectation but am concerned the OL could prevent further improvement next year. As a fan, I’m hoping the continual transfers and injuries is what has hurt continuity on the OL. In 2020, penalties and turnovers hurt drives. In 2021, still some turnover issues and inconsistent red zone results. I’ve seen a lot of complaints about play calling, but I’ve also seen people complain opposite sides of the same argument (Example, we should run mason on 3rd and 4th then when shouldn’t have run mason on 4th and 2). I admit there are a few play call head scratchers, but execution always helps play calling. I’ve seen enough improvement where I wouldn’t put CDP on the hot seat.

Defense:

DT: Meets Expectation - This group had very little depth in the transition and was going to be the toughest over haul. We’ve added bodies but needs improvement. Our DT personnel is probably more suited to a 4-2-5, but my expectations weren’t high for this group in year 3.

DE - Meets Expectation - This group hasn’t generated the pressure consistently which isn’t different from the previous regime, but it has more depth now. Overall I believe the team has been generating more sacks the last few years than the previous regime.

LB - Meets Expectation - This wasn’t a deep group in the transition and I believe we are building depth and using transfers to fill upper class men voids.

CB - Well Below expectation - At the start of the CGC era I expected improvement here. I feel like the group has regressed even with what would appears to be an increase in talent.

Safety - Well below expectation - I’ve never believed our safety’s were great in coverage, but with the experience I expected solid play.

Defense: Overall this group hasn’t improved and may actually be regressing in the secondary. I had higher expectations by year three than I did on the offense. This was also supposed to be the strength of our head coach. In my opinion, the DC and secondary coaches are more on the hot seat than the offensive side.
Good grief you’ve got some low expectations for our offense. We flat out cannot score if they get anywhere near the 20 yard line. It’s actually comical at this point. We rely entirely on big plays. That’s not an offensive strategy.

Our defense…geez. That should be below any expectations that could possibly have been fathomed given the number of snaps some of these guys have played.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
It may be apathy or it maybe the thought that there is really nothing new to say on the topic that hasn't been said. Would you agree with this premise...less than 10% of the posts in this particular forum represent a fresh take or new thought on the topic of the performance of our FB team? Many of our posters have fired all their bullets on the topic and know this. They are reading but not posting. A handful of others are perhaps not as self aware and keep posting more or less the same idea repeatedly.

I can only speak for myself, but I certainly feel apathetic at this point. I watch every game and will never truly give it up, but it almost feels like an obligation at this points due to my love for Georgia Tech Football in a broad historic sense, and less to do with the current actual product.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I can only speak for myself, but I certainly feel apathetic at this point. I watch every game and will never truly give it up, but it almost feels like an obligation at this points due to my love for Georgia Tech Football in a broad historic sense, and less to do with the current actual product.

I am watching games now with lingering hope we will look half competent. Winning is not even in the thought process.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The basketball teams looked a hell of a lot better while we were getting old then our football team does right now.
Yeah, there is no comparison between these programs. Pastner was a proven winner when he came to Tech and proved right out of the gate he could win at Tech.

We are still hoping with Collins without any solid evidence to go on. I don’t blame people at all who still want to be patient but it’s truly a faith approach at this point.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah, there is no comparison between these programs. Pastner was a proven winner when he came to Tech and proved right out of the gate he could win at Tech.
Au contraire my friend. We, as a forum, were gleeful with his performance after the initial season, but that waned considerably when the losses started piling up in successive seasons. IIRC there was a Fire Pastner thread during the Ron Bell era and discussion about how bad it was that he got an extension.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Au contraire my friend. We, as a forum, were gleeful with his performance after the initial season, but that waned considerably when the losses started piling up in successive seasons. IIRC there was a Fire Pastner thread during the Ron Bell era and discussion about how bad it was that he got an extension.
I’m not denying that.

I’m just saying there was no comparison if you are talking either win % or wins as a head coach. We had evidence that Pastner could win as a head coach, something we don’t have yet for Collins. In that sense there is no comparison

Tech fans being cranky is a slightly different conversation. But in that case, yes, some fans were cranky with Pastner too.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

We are still hoping with Collins without any solid evidence to go on. I don’t blame people at all who still want to be patient but it’s truly a faith approach at this point.
It’s very hard to compare the two sports, but it was obvious that from an x and o perspective, Pastner knew what he was doing. Over the course of a couple of seasons, you can spot a well coached team versus a poorly coached squad.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
My problem with Pastner at that time was the Ron Bell situation. Yes it now is clear that Bell was lying, but Pastner was keeping this dirtbag near his program and his family.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The basketball teams looked a hell of a lot better while we were getting old then our football team does right now.
i saw lots of fire the bb coach post last year. the did look bad - dropped 2 easy games. But then we figured out how to play the best press defense in the nation - and now he has a new contract.

right now we have very few FB player that won't be eligible next year. they will grow and play faster. sadly it will be a while.

Collins has not made many great memoirs for me besides better people skills and recruiting class.

His banter has been effective in recruiting - it s spelled Gibbs

However = him running to pick up a sideline ball and then running to hand it to the official drives me nuts.

His belief in "our so called system" of game week preparation is overvalued during the game has caused obvious head scratching moments.. There is nothing wrong with a practice system that encourages max effort in practice, rewards with pt, and remove players when the are getting tired. On defense we have gone from playing too few players way too much to having players run in and out while changing defenses on the fly.

When a system is not working and a manager wont change it - his boss must take note.

Saturday tstan said his plan and will implement it. i think he meant his always had in his plan the current situation.