Mississippi State DC Leaving?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well, part of the problem is that a front 7 becomes a front 5 when 2 guys get optioned off. It doesn't matter how good the DL is, the DBs are going to have to get involved in run stopping or they will get gashed. A good DL helps a lot, but it is never enough by itself against this offense.

I think I may put more weight on the "helps a lot" than you. A good DL can control the dive w/o much LB support, confuse QB reads, and hinder our OL getting to the next level to block LBs.

I'm not disputing the need for DBs in run support against us but just saying that a good DL plays a big part in slowing us down.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boom - can you give your opinion on how the ol played in first 4 verses last 4 games.?
Seems like the reserves - hesitate to call them that- or alternates Devine and joe are a big addition. Also the starters are firing off as a unit with fewer missed assignments .
You have a better eye .
Also how will they do against MSU as compared to clemson? Maybe this could be a new thread.
Thanks
Wow. You are really stretching my memory. I think the OL has played well all year for the most part. In the first four games the only real negative I can say was that we played really flat, without great effort, for most of half 2 against GSU. Just my opinion. Certainly we played well to end the year. An OL can't possibly dominate a team more than we did against NCST. We did just enough against CLEM and UGAg to get the wins. In terms of individuals, we have certainly seen the emergence of 3 quality second stringers in Devine, Joe, and Marshall. Each has played very well and, in some cases, pushed the starter.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Wow. You are really stretching my memory. I think the OL has played well all year for the most part. In the first four games the only real negative I can say was that we played really flat, without great effort, for most of half 2 against GSU. Just my opinion. Certainly we played well to end the year. An OL can't possibly dominate a team more than we did against NCST. We did just enough against CLEM and UGAg to get the wins. In terms of individuals, we have certainly seen the emergence of 3 quality second stringers in Devine, Joe, and Marshall. Each has played very well and, in some cases, pushed the starter.

Disagree on the Ga game. From late in the second quarter our OL was shoving the LBs and playside end backward, often 5 to 7 yards, and somtimes putting them on their backs. Joe and Mason and Burden had them retreating big time and when Chamberlain moved over for the unbalanced look our BBs rambled, sometimes untouched. I had the great fortune of being in Athens and later seeing the film in slo-mo. Our OL had the Ga defense in retreat on most plays. It was a great game for our OL. Game was only close because of the late turnover.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Disagree on the Ga game. From late in the second quarter our OL was shoving the LBs and playside end backward, often 5 to 7 yards, and somtimes putting them on their backs. Joe and Mason and Burden had them retreating big time and when Chamberlain moved over for the unbalanced look our BBs rambled, sometimes untouched. I had the great fortune of being in Athens and later seeing the film in slo-mo. Our OL had the Ga defense in retreat on most plays. It was a great game for our OL. Game was only close because of the late turnover.
Ugag had a horrible strategy that backfired.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes - for the vast majority of the game our O-line completely destroyed them. They made few random plays here and there, but we mostly owned them.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Pruitt is a name built mostly on hype....kinda like the entire ugag program

Tend to agree. I think the one thing UGA doesn't realize is they recruit at a high level regardless of who the coach is. No need to hire "hot names" there. The recruits will come regardless. Just hire the "right" guy and they'd be golden.

I'll delete this in an hour or so.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Pruitt is a name built mostly on hype....kinda like the entire ugag program

May turn out great but sure was a poor start.
Background
He was ast coach at Hoover high when the were national champs. The ex head coach of Hoover is in south ga - Colquitt - he likes pruit a lot.
Pruit Should be able to help recruiting at Uga unless he keeps getting out coached.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The ex Hoover and current Colquitt Co. hc is kind of a dbag....good coach no doubt but a dbag......not surprising Pruitt tied to him since he was atracted to the cesspool also.