Mississippi State DC Leaving?

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
This is an interesting story line...does whoever the interim coach is come up with a game plan or does the D play uninspired without Collins.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is an interesting story line...does whoever the interim coach is come up with a game plan or does the D play uninspired without Collins.

Inside story is that Mullen and Collins did not get along and it recommended that Collins look for another coaching job. State is loaded with defensive talent and did not play up to expectations late in the season.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
IIRC, Collins left for Alabama and the first thing he did was call up any of our desired recruits to try to get them to flip to Bama ... And, it worked ... he flipped Chris Jackson - our first commit, and the ambassador of our class that year. AND, last but not least, he knowingly committed recruiting violations to accomplish this by visiting Chris or something like that during a dead period. Our coaches even reported him, but nothing came was done about it (you know with him being on the bama payroll and all).

So, yes, he has shown that for him, it's alllllll about him, and alllllll about the $.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
IIRC, Collins left for Alabama and the first thing he did was call up any of our desired recruits to try to get them to flip to Bama ... And, it worked ... he flipped Chris Jackson - our first commit, and the ambassador of our class that year. AND, last but not least, he knowingly committed recruiting violations to accomplish this by visiting Chris or something like that during a dead period. Our coaches even reported him, but nothing came was done about it (you know with him being on the bama payroll and all).

So, yes, he has shown that for him, it's alllllll about him, and alllllll about the $.
It should probably still tee me off to read accounts of factories getting away with doing whatever they want and ignoring rules, but at this point I just take it as confirmation of my generally cynical disinterest in CFB beyond Tech. CFB--qua sports "league"--maintains a spot on the scale of competitive integrity one step above the WWE and a step below the Tour de France.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
So Mississippi State has to look for a new DC while somehow putting in a defense to stop the Georgia Tech offense, a defense the incoming DC may not have a hand in installing? Methinks that line on the game should be moving quite a bit.

Animal02

Banned
So Mississippi State has to look for a new DC while somehow putting in a defense to stop the Georgia Tech offense, a defense the incoming DC may not have a hand in installing? Methinks that line on the game should be moving quite a bit.

But MSU fans think the D is already installed and it is just a matter of practice. They are also relieved not to play Baylor or TCU because our run game will not hurt their weak secondary......and that their front seven will have their way with Tech.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
The option isn't only about having a good front 7. It helps but the DBs are important as well. If they are weak at corner we could cause them to play back a little more with our play action.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
i hope we can turn up the pressure early, get a lead, force a turn over, ..... Wash rinse repeat.

Every time these big shot teams they look down their nose we find a way to play tough and usually win in the end of game. This time I hope we just go for it from the begining.

With dc gone and time to put in special wrinkle to free up JeT - this could be fun!

Last edited:

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
But MSU fans think the D is already installed and it is just a matter of practice. They are also relieved not to play Baylor or TCU because our run game will not hurt their weak secondary......and that their front seven will have their way with Tech.
Well, part of the problem is that a front 7 becomes a front 5 when 2 guys get optioned off. It doesn't matter how good the DL is, the DBs are going to have to get involved in run stopping or they will get gashed. A good DL helps a lot, but it is never enough by itself against this offense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well, part of the problem is that a front 7 becomes a front 5 when 2 guys get optioned off. It doesn't matter how good the DL is, the DBs are going to have to get involved in run stopping or they will get gashed. A good DL helps a lot, but it is never enough by itself against this offense.
Boom - can you give your opinion on how the ol played in first 4 verses last 4 games.?
Seems like the reserves - hesitate to call them that- or alternates Devine and joe are a big addition. Also the starters are firing off as a unit with fewer missed assignments .
You have a better eye .
Also how will they do against MSU as compared to clemson? Maybe this could be a new thread.
Thanks

GTMD

Georgia Tech Fan
i hope we can turn up the pressure early, get a lead, force a turn over, ..... Wash rinse repeat.

Every time these big shot teams they look down their nose we find a way to play tough and usually win in the end of game. This time I hope we just go for it from the begining.

MSU I wouldn't call a big shot team. They aren't familiar with us and are copping an attitude despite the fact that we're 2-0 against them in the recent past with Mully-poo as their head coach. I hope we wax their cowbell arses