Mike Bobinski and The Search of Doom

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
If it's Pastner I can support that. Guy has a record of 167 - 73.

To me the lesson learned in the Hewitt, Gregory, New Guy deal is never give a coach a new contract just to keep him/her around. Coaches leave. Let them leave.
Hire a new coach. No coach ever won 100% of his games. No coach is so good that he cannot be replaced.

Hire Pastner and when he says he is leaving shake his hand and wish him good luck.

Oh, and add a sentence to the contract ; "You have a boss, the AD, what he says governs everything."

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I would actually compare gotfried with Pastner. Very similar guys. Can't seem to keep guys from transferring (especially while he was at bama) and yet they both recruit really well. After thinking on it, I think he is a step up from gregory, and if we get a good contract ironed out I will get behind him. He will hopefully recruit really well and have a few good years and if he starts going downhill we can get rid of him and have something in the cupboard for the next guy with some money to spend.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm gonna give him a chance because I'm tired of us completely sucking in basketball.

For fans that were Pro-Capel, JP's coaching career looks very similar IMO so I'm not sure why you wouldn't give him a shot.

Unless there's a huge red flag we don't know about with JP, I agree with keeping an open mind.

His career does mirror Capel's in that both played for a legendary coach, ascended the coaching ranks at an early age, won big early, and things just fizzled with the program before they exited. The difference is, Pastner will never have had a losing record at Memphis while Capel crippled the Oklahoma program after his exit.

THWG72

Georgia Tech Fan
At least we know he can recruit. Maybe he'll have a big change in his personality before he steps foot on campus.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know much about Pastner. Who are some players he's recruited if hes known as a good recruiter?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
http://www.commercialappeal.com/spo...rogram-and-more-2f467-374172181.html?d=mobile

A local recruit that doesn't sound too thrilled about his time under Pastner. Terrible hire.
I had a completely different take on the interview. Goodwin in the end says he is a Pastner supporter. And some of his problems in college he brought with him to Memphis,
or so he says. Nice story of a kid turning into a man. Based on my own experience its something that is not always easy. Goodwin will have a nice career in ball where ever he lands.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't know much about Pastner. Who are some players he's recruited if hes known as a good recruiter?

You would only know then if you watched teams other than Memphis play.

Nick King (Xfer)
Austin Nichols (Xfer)
Joe Jackson (?)
Shaq Goodwin (he's not a fan obv)
Dedric Lawson
Two brothers awhile back, one plays for the Nuggets now. (One Xfer to Tennesee)

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Will say this.. If he can convince Charlie Moore to come to GT with him - assuming they don't block us and keep our current class, he would have a good base to start from.

He is known as a recruiter and is now in a fertile recruiting ground. He has a chance to make a splash with the right assistant hires. It must be Sharman White.