Mike Bobinski and The Search of Doom

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Memphis is a more stories program. They put way more energy into their hoops than they do their football.

With that said I still feel GT is a better job in the future. It's not in the now.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm quite confident that the problem is personality not Xs Os.

Hopefully, fresh start with better perspective will help.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Give him a chance and support. He has to rebuild the program from the bottom, he's gonna need a lot of support.

Josh Posner is still under 40 he's still extremely young and has had proven success. Couldn't do much better.

Show him love and get behind him and maybe the recruits will come, cause GT gonna need at least two more recruits, NOW!

Last edited:

DaBiz

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm most interested in the contract.

I have no doubts JP will work his *** off and get us some players...the ATL hoops community likes the hire and that makes it better because it took me a min to get on board.

Is he the perfect home run hire? Nope, but all the guys we were down to were all potential, same with JP except with more experience.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
Pastner is still young for a coach. There's still a lot of maturing he can do. When I was his age, I was in a really toxic work environment. A lot of pressure from management to cut corners in ways that could affect people's lives. Everyone was feeling the pressure and tempers tended to flare. I left when I was asked to do something that I felt was completely unethical.

When I left, I was thinking "Man, I showed those *******es." When the emotions died down, I realized that while I was in the right, I still didn't handle the situation as well as I should have. I didn't do enough to help my coworkers and actually made the environment more toxic in some ways. When I started my next job I went into it with the idea that I wouldn't let the situation get as bad as my previous stop. I think I'm a better boss, employee and coworker than I was then, and my working environment is 10x better.

I did some growing up between my last stop and this one. Hopefully Josh can draw on his experience in Memphis to do something similar. When the pressure is on, working relationships tend to sour. It sounds like that's what happened with him and Shaq. I'm willing to give him a chance and hope he's learned enough to keep the same thing from happening again.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm getting the feeling that the national media views us like a service academy, and thinks that someone almost militarily straight-edged will fit well here.

Not so sure that's the case. It's true to an extent and of course we don't want or need a complete scumbag -- but you gotta know when to hold the kids to the line, and when to listen, and when to hug them.

I'll try to keep an open mind and be supportive. Could be he just needs to mellow out a little. Age alone will do that.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If only Shaq Goodwin felt comfortable enough to be fully transparent...

Q: You played for Josh for four of the seven years he's been a head coach. If he's still the coach at Memphis next year, can he get better?

A: Let the record show, I'm so nervous about talking because I feel like I will get put in the gutter, and I will never be seen again. I could be buried. I just want the best for the ones behind me.

But I feel like me and him, we crossed the communication barrier. Now I can text him. Now I can call him, and we can talk. It took a lot. It took for me to say, 'OK, I'm gonna force it,' and then he had to be receptive. So he did step it up there and did become receptive. So I feel like if he can do that, there's a chance for him to get better. He has to want to.

Source (same interview posted by many already): http://www.commercialappeal.com/spo...tate-of-program-and-more-2f467-374172181.html

TheStolenT

Georgia Tech Fan
This hire makes me sick to my stomach. As a Uab grad (Memphis rivals) I have watched with great pleasure as pastner systematically destroyed everything calipari built at Memphis. As the recruits got worse or left in droves, his in game coaching deficiencies showed up and the declining record in a weaker conference shows that. The fact that their fan base is estatic about this should tell us all we need to know. The basketball world is laughing at us right now.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
X's and O's?

Jimmy+V+Classic+VEDVx_yyZtEl.jpg

MEMPHIS.jpg

web1_SPORTS_BKC-MEMPHIS-SMU_4_DA.jpg