Mike Bobinski and The Search of Doom

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I am less concerned about the hire than the contract. If Bobinski gives him a long term, fully guaranteed contract with no set off in the event we fire him and he gets another job, then I will be outraged. To Bobinski's credit, the last Johnson contract is not fully guaranteed. This one, if it happens, should not be either. I am no Bobinski fan, but he seems to be a better negotiator than Braine or Radikovich.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
After sleeping on it, here are some things I gleaned after reading more on Pastner:

1. Took over a Memphis program, that while it was winning big under Calipari, was also in shambles behind the scenes. Not only did he win 25+ games his first 5 years, he cleaned up the mess Calipari left behind.

2. Was considered one of the brightest young basketball minds at one point. A lot of people considered him a basketball coaching prodigy. Coached AAU ball while still in high school...coached Emeka Okafor! Was a walk-on at Arizona, and even then he was helping the coaching staff....and quite a few thought of him as a future head coach back then.

3. Graduated college in 2.5 years, has a masters, and was working on his doctorate (whether he finished that is not clear).

4. Universally regarded is a really good recruiter on national level. At one time, was considered an elite recruiter on a national level.

5. Coached under Lute Olson and Calipari.

Maybe Pastner is what GT needs right now. A coach that's a bit broken in some respects, but still has a high ceiling. Afterall, isn't that how you would describe GT basketball right now? Had this hire happened just 3 years ago, Pastner would have been a coup and GT would have exulted Bobinski. But the reality is, GT was always going to get the imperfect coach regardless of if it was Capel (Oklahoma questions), Drew (inexperience in this region), Kelsey (too green and not enough success at a lower level), Laranaga (no college experience). Drew was the "cleanest" hire of the bunch, even then we were split on his fit for GT.

It's a situation where both coach and school need each other. In Pastner, we get a guy with a tremendous upside, but has issues that he needs to work through. Remember, Pastner is still considered a young coach. He's accomplished things in his career most coaches will never accomplish. The belief is a change of scenery and learning from his mistakes at Memphis will help him move forward into an even better coach at GT.

Hopefully, it works out the way both parties expect.

What about the buyout and the contract? Where do we have the money to pay off all this and two other coaches?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What about the buyout and the contract? Where do we have the money to pay off all this and two other coaches?

I think the hope is that Memphis will let him off the hook because GT is swooping in to relieve them of a $10 million buyout. Either that, or Pastner remains in a toxic situation where they will eventually fire him and still have to pay him that money.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
from what i have read pastner is owed 10 million on his contract. please no more phewitt deals. his last two years are cpj like and attendance has fallen by 40% if the article i read is correct.

the ajc has some comments from memphis fans that are not complimentary. take it for what it is worth.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm cool with Patsner as long as he can hire some top flight assistants. Some really good X & O guys. He's extremely young and ups and downs are to be expected with a coach that young.
I mean he's pretty much identical to Cuonzo/Capel but much younger.

Great hire no. Good hire yes.
Risky hire most definitely.
Nice wording. I agree with this completely. I am also feeling optimistic the contract will be OK since Pastner reached out to us.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
TJI: as part of the deal MBob has hiring power for the assistants as well.

Yann Hufnagel and Andre McGee early frontrunners.

I will not fall for this again! I took the bait on the other thread, won't on this one. ;)

One thing makes me very, very sad. Compare MGH's farewells to CBG with the Memphis player's remarks in the Commercial-Appeal.

If this is a done deal, perhaps JP has grown and learned, and can do well here. I fear he is not the man (not the coach, the man) CBG is.

Memphis should be paying us the balance of the Hewitt and Gregory buyouts as dowry; still saves them nearly $8MM. I'm sending MBob a copy of Art of the Deal.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
I will be happy with Pastner if Memphis pays out the $4 million buyout for Gregory and Hewitt, and we give Pastner a 4-year $6 million deal with no buyouts.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
CJP is probably getting a 5 yr $12 mil deal so he now has more $ guaranteed than his last contract. I pray GT didn't also pay $ to Memphis for the privilege of hiring Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I'm gonna give him a chance because I'm tired of us completely sucking in basketball.

For fans that were Pro-Capel, JP's coaching career looks very similar IMO so I'm not sure why you wouldn't give him a shot.