Michael Summers Has Left the Team

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Declinometer sent me bizarre DM's after I questioned whether or not Stewart is the most talented freshman in this class. Dude has an obsession...

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
He's going to graduate in May. There was already a lot of talk around the program that, if he decided to play another year, it would almost certainly be somewhere else after he transferred as a graduate student, so it's not completely out of left field that he just decided to go ahead and hang it up now. I would presume this means that he plans to graduate and go work for a living, as quitting now will almost certainly be a major red flag for another program.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Any details there on his getting into it with Preston?
Not really other than the fact that it wasn't pretty. I'm not going to put myself in Summers' head, but I can't imagine he felt good about coming back from injury and Jeune getting most of the opportunities. I'm sure hearing the coach who is limiting your chances is applying for another job didn't help.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wish the kid luck. Is he quitting on the team? Yes, BUT, it is way better than faking it for 4 more games. Personally, I respect a person more for walking away than hanging around and just going through the motions. If you are not ALL IN then you should leave. At least he is being honest with himself and everybody. If you don't LOVE the sport you play, then you shouldn't play at all. That includes practice, film room, strength training, diet, reduced study and free time, blocking and the whole bit. I always felt that you had to love practice to be a player, and I mean just LOVE it. Everybody loves the glory of being THE MAN on the field during games, but it is dealing with the drudgery that makes players what they are. It is not for everybody.

Declinometer

Banned
Declinometer sent me bizarre DM's after I questioned whether or not Stewart is the most talented freshman in this class. Dude has an obsession...
"is that why they each have less than half the snaps as him, in some cases even more. VA hasn't seen the field in 3 games. Don't be a hater. Get on board before the train leaves you"
This is the "bizarre" DM I sent this dude. Not only is it not "bizarre" it's a fact. BS has been in on more plays than any other true freshman.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
It's bizarre that you feel the need to pm those that disagree with you. Leave me alone. I don't care for interaction with you, public or private.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you use playing time as a measuring stick of who the most talented freshman is, then it would be Stewart. Why this bothers some here is somewhat comical.

Personally, I was just being sarcastic. I'm a Stewart fan so it really doesn't bother me. However, I can see how you constantly beating the drum could get on a lot of nerves.

There's a saying on the field. If someone is that good, their play will do the talking. No need to do it for them.

Declinometer

Banned
It's bizarre that you feel the need to pm those that disagree with you. Leave me alone. I don't care for interaction with you, public or private.

But dude, you said my DM was "bizarre". The reason I DM'd you was because the thread was closed. I'll "leave you alone" now sport.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
If you use playing time as a measuring stick of who the most talented freshman is, then it would be Stewart. Why this bothers some here is somewhat comical.
Playing time could also be a measuring stick of talent and injury status of players ahead of that freshman.

I am all for Steward and hope he succeeds beyond all reason...but let's let him prove himself.

Declinometer

Banned
Personally, I was just being sarcastic. I'm a Stewart fan so it really doesn't bother me. However, I can see how you constantly beating the drum could get on a lot of nerves.

There's a saying on the field. If someone is that good, their play will do the talking. No need to do it for them.

The only constant drum beats is from those who think they must respond to every positive post about Stewart. Glad you were being sarcastic and agree with me

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a bit of a bummer man. I don't know what Summers is thinking or what he's going through, but at the risk of sounding like a jerk, I think it's pretty crappy to quit on your team with three games left in the season...especially when you need to win all three to get bowl eligible. This especially hurts when you consider that he was the best blocking receiver we've got.

I wish him the best and thank him for his efforts, but unless this is due to injury concerns, he should have stuck it out for the next few weeks. I'm not going to go so far as to say it's character defining, but I know I'd be pretty damn upset if any of my teammates had ever quit mid-season.
I'd hardly call this mid-season, other than that, I hate to see him go.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree that burning redshirts of Philpott and/or Howell would be dumb at this point. Plug and play with what you've got. Get people in that know how/want to block. Best of luck to Summers - did the right thing if he truly didn't want to play anymore.

We all know any Tom, **** or Harry can play in our offense. This offense can even make slow weak kids look good. Long live the TO!