Michael Summers Has Left the Team

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A colleague of mine was in a meeting this morning with Michael Summers, Sr. among others. He has been fielding phone calls from friends , all asking why Michael Jr decided to leave the team. He explained that, after the injury, he decided that it would be better to focus on school and get his degree rather than return/remain, not necessarily in top form, and risk a more serious injury.

Thank you. While this is second hand, it is more factual than other conjectures. Wish him the best.
Anyone who graduates from GT and has played D1 football has my respect.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Odd, but best of luck to him. I liked watching him play and thought he was a guy who liked to mix it up when blocking. I'll never forget that sick catch he had on that quick slant from Vad in that star-crossed 2013 UGA game.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Odd, but best of luck to him. I liked watching him play and thought he was a guy who liked to mix it up when blocking. I'll never forget that sick catch he had on that quick slant from Vad in that star-crossed 2013 UGA game.

Quick slant??? Surely you jest sir. Haven't you heard? We don't have those in this offense.....

Someone will chime in that it was a different, diamond offense, in 3....2....1.....

Squints

Helluva Engineer
how many teams go from 11-3 to 3-9 ? when the going gets tough, the weak get going,going,gone

Well how many teams lose a two-deep's worth of players in one offseason. And that's before injury. But to answer your question just off the top of my head Florida went from 11-2 to 4-8 just a couple years ago. And that's a power program.

EDIT: Just remembered that UCF has gone from 9 wins last year to 0 so far this year as well.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
He's going to graduate in May. There was already a lot of talk around the program that, if he decided to play another year, it would almost certainly be somewhere else after he transferred as a graduate student, so it's not completely out of left field that he just decided to go ahead and hang it up now. I would presume this means that he plans to graduate and go work for a living, as quitting now will almost certainly be a major red flag for another program.

during my last 'quarter' i tried to lighten my load so i could enjoy the college experience a bit and interview without worry.

i am not sure how it is now but we used to line up and camp out overnight to get our names on the interview sign up sheets. i enjoyed that and ended up having over 100 interviews.

if he is not nfl material and recognizes that why not take time off from the team to enjoy being a student too?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
As one of my coaches said after losing a starting RB over some hassle with an assistant coach, quitting the first time is hard. But it gets easy after that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Good luck to him till we see him on the field.

Wish he had been able to stay but we have moved on.

Kind of hurts morale to have upper classman to resign during season. Not much respect for team and coaches.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I wish him the best. I don't know what happened at Tech, but I thought he was underused last year after putting in solid time in previous years.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Before the inevitable re-delving into MS's reasons for leaving the team, let me personally attest to his high character. I haven't asked about what happened at GT, but we all made tough choices as young adults. Some were the right choices, and some, in retrospect, could have been handled differently. I know that is true for me, personally. All those choices and what we learn from them mold us into the adults we eventually become. MS is well on his way to becoming a successful, well-adjusted quality citizen, and I wish him utmost success (although, like most of you, I hope Oct. 15 is a tough day at the office for him).

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Michael is a great dude man. Just made a decision he felt would benefit him. I haven't asked him why he left the team, but I know he graduated on time from a prestigious institution. I have no doubt in my mind that he loves Georgia Tech, and he will be successful in life wherever he decides to go.