Miami Postgame

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Paying 750k a year for a washed up has been? No wonder, there is no money. Heck, I would take half of that and do just the same. There are answers out there. GT just thinks you have to have a big time name.
I get this but at the time there was another DC we couldn't get. I can't remember the name. Also Roof was just coming off a national title. I think we are on the same side though, I'm ready for either a new DC or something to drastically change in his approach.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I'm still sour this morning on the outcome. This one is on the coaches though and the offense. I think back to 2014 and what made that season great was that we would play a full 4 quarters. Our offense also had the ability to just plain wear out defenses which ours was not doing yesterday. I fully believe we have the talent right now, but yesterday our 2nd half offense pretty much allowed UM to come back. Can't **** on the D this game, even though yes they suck at the 2 min defense, the offense should have still given them some cushion. Its also BS to say the rain didn't play a factor, you could tell that Miami just had way more experience in those conditions

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Why does everyone want to run the spread and be like the other 100 teams in college football? Being different gives you an advantage. Nebraska was one of the only teams to still run the option in the early 2000s fired their coach haven't been the same. Florida was so dominant under spurrier because he invited the fun and gun offense. Only team to run what they ran at the time. Rich Rod was the only guy to run the spread while at WVU. Now he's competing with every other team for the same type of player and has disappeared in Arizona.

I don't know about that one. He has had his peaks out there and is having a decent year now. In the end I want a coach who can navigate challenges and properly adjust. The run game was shut down in the 2nd half and the team inability to offer a decent passing threat basically left the team's O inept. The D did a solid job of keeping it close for as long as they did.

One of the main criticisms of CPJ is not having a consistent passing attack when forced to pass. This game kinda reinforces that theory therefore the "spread" chatter. My personal opinion is that maybe we should have incorporated more passing or at least passed on non traditional passing downs to keep them from cheating on the outside on the pitches. Just saying.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about that one. He has had his peaks out there and is having a decent year now. In the end I want a coach who can navigate challenges and properly adjust. The run game was shut down in the 2nd half and the team inability to offer a decent passing threat basically left the team's O inept. The D did a solid job of keeping it close for as long as they did.

One of the main criticisms of CPJ is not having a consistent passing attack when forced to pass. This game kinda reinforces that theory therefore the "spread" chatter. My personal opinion is that maybe we should have incorporated more passing or at least passed on non traditional passing downs to keep them from cheating on the outside on the pitches. Just saying.

Washingtons offense was shut down last night. They had 42 yards at half. Rarely do you see an offense firing on all cylinders every single game

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Without reading anyone else's thoughts, after sobering up, and without rewatching to see what went wrong:
-I got the same feeling in my gut that I had in the Tennessee game. We just aren't good in close games, which is the only way we beat vt, clemson, or uga.
-a monsoon started which made us slip and slide and miss blocks. Nature itself doesn't like GT. Miami had to play in it too, but it had stopped for that final drive.
-Second half offense shows that even with a great system, you still need great players. Vonte going out really handcuffed the offense.
-B Rad has to make that catch. I'm sure he's down on himself, just make sure you get it next time young man. He had a big drop against someone last season and came back with a huge catch against uga. I hope he does the same this year.
-Defense has no depth, but I'm proud of how they fought. They are better this year, but we need a few more difference makers on the DL to be top 30 good. For as much poo pooing about B Mitch, we missed him when he went out.

I'm not discouraged but two losses by a point hurts. I hope the guys don't hang their heads. We aren't eliminated from the coastal, but we need help and have to play perfect from here on out.
Injuries piled up this week, so we might need to adjust the offense or get Jerry ready to roll.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Hope everyone feels a little better about life today. Yes it still hurts to lose as it should if your a fan. If you want to blame someone that's fine. But the problem is there are some who don't like CTR and some who don't like CPJ a few who want to blame the players and those who want to blame the Hill because they don't care about sports. Fact is anyone who watched this game can blame it on the offense and or the defense and make a good case. It's a team sport game you win as a team you lose as a team.

It's the same thing every week if we win the offense or defense looked great and no one can stop us or look at these stats our defense is playing great. And if we lose this offense is no good against a good D or our defense can't stop a Tiny Tot team. Or we have a few that if we win will say because we are Tech our players can out smart them to win, or a few that when we lose we say we can't get the 4 or 5 star players because they can't get in Tech or don't want to put in the time to study ( which is true ) .

Blame anyone who you want but don't blame the players, they work their *** off and they don't quit. If you want to blame a coach no one can stop you but if you really know more than them I would guess you need to be coaching and not spending so much time with you family visiting recruits and studying game tapes. As much as you think you know more than a coach more than likely don't ( although we have 2 on here one does a brake down on offense and the other who does the defense I would trust)

So what can you do ? Support the team and show up at the games.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The only silver lining for me was I picked GT against the spread at 6.5.

Salt in the wound was realizing this morning that I didn't submit the pick.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think Roof or the D is to blame. They validated that they are a good defense, and Roof has become more aggressive in his play calling. Our D made stops in the 4th Q that should have led us to victory, but the O didn't step up and do their part. However, that last drive was on Roof. Screen after screen, no adjustment.
That 4th and 10 catch was just plain bad luck.

I did have an issue with CPJ's play calling late in the 4th quarter. Some calls left me scratching my head, but the Stewart drop was huge.

Also, anyone remember in the 3rd quarter when it was 3rd and goal, and TaQuon threw it away? Lynch was WIDE open towards the sideline, would've walked in to the end zone. That decision cost us 4 points.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Simple comments:
  1. This wasn't at all like the UT game for me. In that game we outplayed the pother team badly, and beat ourselves. In this game, we were outplayed pretty badly (especially in the 2nd half) and we almost won.
  2. We did not deserve to win based on how we played
  3. Miami simply has better athletes than we do
  4. I guess you can't recruit every year in the 40's and beat Top Ten teams. Miami has the athletes to at least compete at that level
  5. I haven't done any analysis, but the vast majority of picks before the game on this board by GT fans thinking we'd win because of our offense, few on this board thought we'd hold Miami to 25 points and those who did thought we'd win. I feel the offense lost this game...and the defense was average...in other words, not good enough to win it in spite of the offense.
  6. we all knew we did not really know how good or bad we are. Now we know. Our O line isn't anywhere near as good as we had hoped (certainly NOT 2014 good) and our defense indeed looks average. That makes at least two more games very tough sledding (Clemson and UGa) because both those teams also clearly have better athletes than we do. Results like the 2nd half yesterday are not guaranteed certainly, but would not surprise me.
  7. the ESPN/Herbstreit curse continues for us. When he thinks we're good, we lose.
It is what it is. With our academic restrictions, we just can't compete at this level except once in a blue moon (when we get an NFL caliber O lineman, apparently).

There are some on this board whose overall pessimism is getting to me. I will continue to root with all my hear for GT. I think we got a realistic assessment of our true capability yesterday and it was slightly upsetting because I had gotten my hopes up, but I honestly did no know what to expect from this team. I think we now have an idea. We can still have a pleasant year with another few wins (WF, UVa, Duke) and we might pull off the game vs VPI&SU or even upset someone better than us. But know I know where we stand.

if GT fans are frustrated by these results, even on D, they should complain to the administration or the AD, NOT to the coaches, imho.

Stony157

Georgia Tech Fan
Simple comments:
  1. This wasn't at all like the UT game for me. In that game we outplayed the pother team badly, and beat ourselves. In this game, we were outplayed pretty badly (especially in the 2nd half) and we almost won.
  2. We did not deserve to win based on how we played
  3. Miami simply has better athletes than we do
  4. I guess you can't recruit every year in the 40's and beat Top Ten teams. Miami has the athletes to at least compete at that level
  5. I haven't done any analysis, but the vast majority of picks before the game on this board by GT fans thinking we'd win because of our offense, few on this board thought we'd hold Miami to 25 points and those who did thought we'd win. I feel the offense lost this game...and the defense was average...in other words, not good enough to win it in spite of the offense.
  6. we all knew we did not really know how good or bad we are. Now we know. Our O line isn't anywhere near as good as we had hoped (certainly NOT 2014 good) and our defense indeed looks average. That makes at least two more games very tough sledding (Clemson and UGa) because both those teams also clearly have better athletes than we do. Results like the 2nd half yesterday are not guaranteed certainly, but would not surprise me.
  7. the ESPN/Herbstreit curse continues for us. When he thinks we're good, we lose.
It is what it is. With our academic restrictions, we just can't compete at this level except once in a blue moon (when we get an NFL caliber O lineman, apparently).

There are some on this board whose overall pessimism is getting to me. I will continue to root with all my hear for GT. I think we got a realistic assessment of our true capability yesterday and it was slightly upsetting because I had gotten my hopes up, but I honestly did no know what to expect from this team. I think we now have an idea. We can still have a pleasant year with another few wins (WF, UVa, Duke) and we might pull off the game vs VPI&SU or even upset someone better than us. But know I know where we stand.

if GT fans are frustrated by these results, even on D, they should complain to the administration or the AD, NOT to the coaches, imho.

I think you have some very good point heres. Tech outplayed Tenn for most of the game. After this game, Miami DC Diaz said that CPJ had a different offensive alignment on some plays than Miami had seen in film and he said he didn't adjust Miami's D alignment to compensate for the first two series and when they did, Miami played better D on the sweeps. Diaz said they had seen all other plays on film, but that's differnet than saying they can defend them. Tech makes it very tough for teams to prepare for them. The game could have gone either way, obviously. Hard fought game. Tech is a good team and should do fine the rest of the season.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
My migraine has subsided so I can Post. I don’t think I’ve felt this bad about game since maybe ‘13 UGA or the Attaochu VT game

As much we want place blame on CPJ or CTR, we now have literally and mentally lost 2 games now because of our FG kicking. Many have posted in the preseason that the ST will cost us 2-3 gms, you guys were absolutely right! To hear CPJ say the ST coach told him that our SCHOLARSHIP kicker can’t hit a 43yder is extremely discouraging. I hate beating a dead horse, but this is ridiculous!

MountPGT1990

Banned
My migraine has subsided so I can Post. I don’t think I’ve felt this bad about game since maybe ‘13 UGA or the Attaochu VT game

As much we want place blame on CPJ or CTR, we now have literally and mentally lost 2 games now because of our FG kicking. Many have posted in the preseason that the ST will cost us 2-3 gms, you guys were absolutely right! To hear CPJ say the ST coach told him that our SCHOLARSHIP kicker can’t hit a 43yder is extremely discouraging. I hate beating a dead horse, but this is ridiculous!

Yes, but it was more entire offense stalling in second half and our HoT Butter Defense melting again with game on the line in last minutes.

You would think the odds would be with us by now to come up with one freaking stop before the half or at the end of a game, but no our defense melts 100% of the time when thrown into either of those two situations. I don’t expect our defense to actually make a play to stop a drive in those situations but you would think by now at least once the other team would make a mistake and shoot themselves in the foot, but that never happens either. It’s like we are the Falcons playing the Pats in the second half of SB

Sad thing is CPJ said they worked on it extensively over the last two weeks, looked like the same defense we had against The Vols that melted like butter on a warm roll. Really sad thing was that UM ran the same play like 7 times in a row and just cut our D in half. I’m sitting there watching it unfold and I’m like please CPJ call a freaking time out and stop this But he just sat there and watched in disbelief like the rest of us

Last edited:

Chris Freeman

Jolly Good Fellow
We lost to a good football team, on the road, in heavy rain and slippery field conditions, by a single point on a last second field goal after a miraculous and somewhat lucky catch on a well defended pass on 4th and long. We have two losses by a combined 2 points. Literally, 2 plays in an entire season go a little different, we don't fumble a ball, we make a field goal, a deflected pass goes in a different direction and we're undefeated and ranked around 10th in the country. The sky isn't falling. We have a good football time